Utah to So Cal on dirt

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
If you are hanging out with the people that own/run the white buffalo you are in the cheese and wine crowd. I have never been good with those type of folks [not saying they are the bad ones] watch your back and don't leave your wingman.

BGRANT

Reaction
His kid is on our team and he has some stake/affiliation with it, never been there. I am definately a PBR and peanuts guy, thats why I'm staying at the west Bestern:)

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Hey BGRANT if your going home today watch out their is a monster snowstorm supposedly going to hit the entire west side of wyoming today sunday the 16 through monday.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
the "storm" turned out to be a fizzer I thought you were here this weekend.

CMI CHUCK

Reaction
that would be a sweet ride, beautiful country out there... ive got lots of family in the utah area and as a kid ive always dreamt of riding the utah terrain.

id have to log some pretty good miles before doing something like that, it's been a while.

(thought i was ganna say a chuck cheek joke didnt ya?) bwhaha!

What did I miss? Sounds like a cool ride for sure!

yzmike777

Reaction
Its hard to stay on dirt from cedar to St. George. It might be best to head from cedar to Lund, Beryl, Modena, to Caliente down to Alamo and to Vegas and then your set.

yzmike777

Reaction
oh yeah and if you make it to Brian head there is a way into cedar and its a really fun trail. I can get you more info if you decide to go this route.

sirhk100

Reaction
Old thread bump, this ride is way outta my league but did anyone ever pull it off or even large parts of it?

Primm to jean to el dorado to nelson hills to searchlite I have done. Searchlite to laughlin was a no go, because we didnt have a route thru christmas tree pass. A plated bike would not be a problem.

Curious why you couldn't do searchlite to laughlin? I've done Nelson hills to Laughlin with a splash in searchlight (stock ktm300 2t tank) and back. If you need GPS files I've got them. We didn't use xmas tree pass either. It's almost 100% single track from nelson hills up till a few miles past xmas tree pass. From there it's 2 track all the way down into laughlin but still pretty fun. We locked the bikes up with a cable parked right in there with the harley parking at the tropicana and checked in wearing our riding gear.

lakelaurashawn

Reaction
Hey Bill - so what is the latest on this trip. I am in for sure and will follow Baja Bound with PAB right on up from the coast to your house.

Based on the links, input and research - what are the gaps?

Of the area that is open, how much of it requires a plate?

Lake

Hog Wild

Reaction
did anyone ever pull it off or even large parts of it?
I have a series of rally roadbook training routes that cover much of this. It's a different route than generally described in this thread. Here's my route (one day each):
1) Glamis-to-Parker
2) Parker-to-Dumont
3) Dumont-to-Vegas
4) Vegas-to-Mesquite
5) Mesquite-to-Hurricane (passing through St George UT)
6) Hurricane-to-Bar10 Ranch (Grand Canyon)
7) Bar10-to-Jacob Lake
8) Jacob Lake-to-Kanab UT

I've ridden all but a small piece of the last stage, though not in one trip. They are 95% dirt, and probably technically 99% plate required. The closest it comes to LA is Afton Canyon, on the Parker-to-Dumont stage. It's taken a HUGE amount of work (years) laying this stuff out and prerunning the pieces.

The last 5 stages are part of this project:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695886

Baja Fool

Reaction
I've done Barstow to Laughlin but that may be out of your way. I believe our whole trip required a plate.

sirhk100

Reaction
That's a big part of why it's out of my league. I could get my butt back in the gym and build the endurance for these rides. I've been behind the bars for 27 years now, I'm sure I could handle the technical part of actually doing the ride. The catch, my current bikes are a KTM300 or KTM125. Neither are exactly the ideal bike for these rides being 2T, no massive tanks exist and well, that license plate issue too. LOL

Was mostly just curious if anyone ever pulled it off and how it was. Will look over your advrider thread though for sure! That's a pretty massive route you've put together for sure!

JDDurfey

Reaction
I did a ride about 10 years ago from Tehachapi to Primm. It was 380 mile one way. We had chase trucks to dad us a few times. We skirted the north side of Kirkland Jct., Barstow, and hit the power lines about 10 miles north of Baker. We followed the power lines the rest of the way to Primm. It was a fun high speed ride.