UTI--Good??Bad??Anything??

spalind

Reaction
No, not a urinary tract infection but Universal Technical Institute...given it has more west coast locations than East Coast I figure I'd ask here. Anyone with any first or second hand experience to relate? Thanks.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
I wouldn't waste my time, you'll be $15,000-30,000 in the whole when its over. I was taught by my Dad and as well as self taught. I got a job at a Honda dealership on the lube rack ( Express Change ) 3 months later I was a Flat rate tech working heavy line. Working 4 days a week and making around $ 60,000 a year at 19 years old. I was R&R'ing engines and transmissions and basic services. Now I work at Kia's Corporate HQ in the Product Quality Dept. dealing with everything from Prototypes all the way to mass production. I've known other techs who went to UTI, and they hated it. Your best bet is to become a Shop Forman Assistant or start doing oil changes and work your way up. Your wallet and bank account will thank you.

Last edited:

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Ditto on Demps post, there's not substitute for experiance in my opinion.
I'd (and I do) much rather hire someone, even with little or none, that's
willing and capable to learn and work.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
I agree the school is a waste get in a dealership starting out as a lube man or installing alarms,sterios,bedliners etc then work your way up I started out in 1977 doing pre delivery inspections or PDI'S for short then I was moved to NVH or noise vibration harshness repair [ford's had a lot of NVH in those days] you guys have it easy now days do any of you know what a variable ventury carb is or a MCU ignition system is how about EEC3 feedback carburetor. Now days you plug in a diagnastic device to a port that is located where the federal gov says to put it and you pull a code and replace a defective part WOOHOO what a b! tch:mad:

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
I agree the school is a waste get in a dealership starting out as a lube man or installing alarms,sterios,bedliners etc then work your way up I started out in 1977 doing pre delivery inspections or PDI'S for short then I was moved to NVH or noise vibration harshness repair [ford's had a lot of NVH in those days] you guys have it easy now days do any of you know what a variable ventury carb is or a MCU ignition system is how about EEC3 feedback carburetor. Now days you plug in a diagnastic device to a port that is located where the federal gov says to put it and you pull a code and replace a defective part WOOHOO what a b! tch:mad:
aaahh yes NVH....... the story of my life!

spalind

Reaction
Ahhh...if only I was 19 years old and had the time to "work my way up"...this is more of a "change of career" move....I've been doing finance for auto companies and banks for near 15 years now and want to do something that I actually MIGHT enjoy...Is not the fact that it gives you a year of experience towards your ASE certification (50% of what you need) a positive thing?

HardCharger81

Reaction
I'd say it one of those things where, "it is what you make of it".

I've worked with a couple UTI/WyoTech clowns in the past, and I feel like they're either undertrained,
or they're just a useless person and no amount of training was going to teach these losers anything.

Now on the other hand, I had a couple buddies that right outa high school went to the AZ UTI,
and they both have really good jobs and felt that, even though it's very expensive, it was worth it.

I went over to the new UTI here in Sacramento to ask if I cold just take some course's and work on
my ASE cert, and they were VERY rude to me. I've been a diesel mech/fabricator most of my adult life.
I worked my way up at Waste Managment pounding dents out of dumpsters and garbage trucks, and these
people acted like I was the scum of the earth.

I'd recommend going on one of the tours that they offer and really do some thinking about it.

Reaction
Save your money. Do not incur additional debt.

Ozzie M

Reaction
I went to uti here in rancho and i realized that it was 99% book and 1% hands on anyone can be book smart but when they actually get down to the work they shert them selves cause the book didnt tell them all the other things it takes to work on a car so i left after three months and 15k in the whole, so now i just go to a jc here in rancho,this is just my opinion though.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Ahhh...if only I was 19 years old and had the time to "work my way up"...this is more of a "change of career" move....I've been doing finance for auto companies and banks for near 15 years now and want to do something that I actually MIGHT enjoy...Is not the fact that it gives you a year of experience towards your ASE certification (50% of what you need) a positive thing?
Get a Job at a Kia Dealership, we're 50% up over the industry!! HAHAHAHA :D

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
But why? What is the reasoning?
A while back I was considering a trade school so I did a little calling around to a few places (3 of 'em)I wanted to apply at when I was going to be done. I was consistently told don't bother going to one of those places. You learn stuff but employers wanted real experience not just training. If you had both great they said but, experience is preferred.

The problem would be that my income wouldn't be enough to offset the debt...(not for a while anyway) I suppose a grant/scholarship would be cool though...

Across the board what is being recommended here (starting someplace with a lower position in the beginning, apply yourself and work hard at advancement and networking) is the same as I was advised.

I never did go to trade school so beyond what I have said above I really can't prove my theory. I guess it is just an opinion. :)

spalind

Reaction
I went to uti here in rancho and i realized that it was 99% book and 1% hands on anyone can be book smart but when they actually get down to the work they shert them selves cause the book didnt tell them all the other things it takes to work on a car so i left after three months and 15k in the whole, so now i just go to a jc here in rancho,this is just my opinion though.
What was the total estimated cost for the full approx. year long program?? Might I be better off with a 2 year course at a local CC getting an Associate of Applied Science degree in Automotive Technology that includes 30 weeks of paid work at a local dealership at a total cost of approx. $12K vs. UTI or the like?

Ozzie M

Reaction
What was the total estimated cost for the full approx. year long program?? Might I be better off with a 2 year course at a local CC getting an Associate of Applied Science degree in Automotive Technology that includes 30 weeks of paid work at a local dealership at a total cost of approx. $12K vs. UTI or the like?
When i went back in 07 total was 24k and something and tuition went up every "phase"(3 weeks)..now who knows it may have gone down or is a frozen tuition if you go to a cc its cheaper and may look better with an aa learning wise same ol thing...might as well rip it apart and teach yourself

Ozzie M

Reaction
A while back I was considering a trade school so I did a little calling around to a few places (3 of 'em)I wanted to apply at when I was going to be done. I was consistently told don't bother going to one of those places. You learn stuff but employers wanted real experience not just training. If you had both great they said but, experience is preferred.

The problem would be that my income wouldn't be enough to offset the debt...(not for a while anyway) I suppose a grant/scholarship would be cool though...

Across the board what is being recommended here (starting someplace with a lower position in the beginning, apply yourself and work hard at advancement and networking) is the same as I was advised.

I never did go to trade school so beyond what I have said above I really can't prove my theory. I guess it is just an opinion. :)
Great opnion wish i would have done that. and im not bashing just saying its not for everyone.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
If your deadset on going to a tech school. Got to Wyotech. My family has plucked kids out of there to be top fuel funny car mechanics.

Cable Jr.

Reaction
not to throw off the thread but it seems like he is looking for a new career, has anyone heard of the fab school. it sems legit and heard some godthings about it.

here's the link. http://www.thefabschool.com/curriculum.shtml
seems like it would be bettertan UTI even though its more on the fabrication side but still give u a head start if thats what your looking for.

spalind

Reaction
not to throw off the thread but it seems like he is looking for a new career, has anyone heard of the fab school. it sems legit and heard some godthings about it.

here's the link. http://www.thefabschool.com/curriculum.shtml
seems like it would be bettertan UTI even though its more on the fabrication side but still give u a head start if thats what your looking for.
Yeah, if only the Fab School had a NH or MA branch!!!:D

The full cost for UTI basic 1 year course + an additional 6 weeks of Ford specific training is now $34K...the admissions guy is saying I automatically qualify for $27K in government loans but I ain't buying...that is WAAAAAY too much debt to be taking on...I'd rather work landscaping 1/2 the year and unemployment the other 1/2 than take on $34K in debt...