UTV class question

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
I'm not at all knowledgable on this subject so if the questions are stupid and answers are obvious, please forgive me. But why don't any UTV manufacturers actually manufacture a UTV roll cage model compatible with any race sanctioning body?

I'm pretty sure it was inside this forum that I read about a guy that rolled his stock Maverick and the only injury was from the collapse of the stock roll cage.

At the 2016 Baja 1000 in Ensenada I spoke with a (famous) racer in a mainstream manufacturer (prototype) UTV and he told me the concept was that a person can go plop down $XXXXX dollars and push it to the start line.

Ok..where is it? Who has a production model for sale that has a roll cage that can pass inspection for racing?

I love the new SCORE classes that use UTVs, but do I have to buy it and then toss the entire cage? Is it easier to build it around the aftermarket cage from scratch?

My questions are serious because I and some friends are interested in jumping into the fray. We have various racing experience (motocross, desert, road race, NASCAR) but none of it in the SCORE series.

Thanks for your help in understanding the situation and possibilities.

vegasloki

There are about half a million side by sides sold a year of which less than half (about 36%) are for recreation. The number converted to race legal cars are in the couple hundred per year at most. It's probably closer to 100 for full blown race vehicles built each year for UTV though I'd reckon there are many that get recreational cages. It doesn't make sense for Polaris or Can Am to offer a package that is only going to sell a few hundred or even a couple thousand. Particularly when the aftermarket can do a better job at it.

If you guys are thinking about getting into racing don't buy something new or build something, get something used. Even as popular as golf carts are now there are still used deals out there or teams that may have moved up a class or are thinning the herd.

cubed

Also the cage needs to be "take apart" to fit the thing in a smaller crate for shipping

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
All good input. Thank you guys.

vegasloki

Word... Liability...
It's got nothing to do with liability and everything to do with scale and market. It would be a hassle for them to tool for that small amount of race cars. They are already sponsoring races and providing support.

In the production based race cars I've built I like being able to fit the cage to me and the car. I'm a fat middle aged man big and tall and ingress and egress can be an issue as is head clearance. If you're more or less average size a kit could work out well or you may be able to find something used that works for you without doing too much if any fab.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Sounds like the person you were speaking with was Robby, and the car in question was the "Speedcat" or whatever they call it since the Textron buyout.

It should also be noted, there are many organizations (smaller grassroots, and maybe the new BITD stock class) that will accept a stock RZR cage with the addition of a front intrusion bar which is available from Polaris.

BarrelRoll

Looking for a score legal golf cart in Colorado? We have one for sale in Denver for pretty cheap and a pile of spares to go with it depending on price. We moved up to 6100.

The other issue is a stock golf cart with a race legal cage doesn't last very long before it starts falling apart. Suspension points need to be reinforced and gusseted, stock skid plates won't last, factory bumpers won't live long nerfing. I don't see stock arms lasting for 500 miles at a race pace on a SCORE or BITD course. There's a reason the current generation of competitive cars are basically 10 cars with as little stock frame as possible. Yeah you can race a grass roots series for a while in a stockish car but racing with the big boys and a factory car won't last long.

biggjim

What most have mentioned above. If you get Away from the "big show" You can race a much less modified car and actually do well at it. We are working on 2 cars currently that are all "bolt on" prerunner style UTV's for the Norra 1000. We are emphasizing "bolt on" because we have several guys that are trying to do just that and then use their cars to recreate on the weekends. You will not find a stockish UTV take the checkers at any of the "big Show" Events ever. There are too many Purpose built Bullets on any given weekend gunning for the checkers.

For a BITD/SCORE legal UTV your looking at 30k+ in parts and material not including the cost of the car. That's not including the hundreds of hours to build it yourself. Add another 5k in spare parts and your ready to race. Seems like the going rate to have a UTV built is around the 100k +/- price point including the cost of the car. I am super low budget so I had to learn how to build everything myself and I had to cut some corners just not on safety stuff. I have about 30k into my build and I'm still making payments on the purchase of the UTV lol.

Bro_Gill

The bummer is, you could have purchased a used 1600 car for half the $30k! And then raced it for 3 years with the left over $40k you didn't spend.

Baja Dad

The bummer is, you could have purchased a used 1600 car for half the $30k! And then raced it for 3 years with the left over $40k you didn't spend.
and be beat by 1/2 the UTV class:)

1600 class is a FUN group !!
just having a little fun!

Bro_Gill

Yeah, not so much. The lowly 1600 cars beat the fastest turbo unlimited side by side by over an hour at the 1000. But the point is, dollar for dollar, you really can't beat the speed and competition on the 1600 cars. Give it a few years a nd a few used SxSs will probably be down around the same price range that are still competitive.

Baja Dad

Yeah, not so much. The lowly 1600 cars beat the fastest turbo unlimited side by side by over an hour at the 1000. But the point is, dollar for dollar, you really can't beat the speed and competition on the 1600 cars. Give it a few years a nd a few used SxSs will probably be down around the same price range that are still competitive.
I would love to race a 2/1600 with my boys Like I did with my dad ...............
Dam I ma getting old !!!

J&B RACING

I was at the Lucas Regional last weekend and saw one of the new single seat Razor 1000. It is funny how they are beginning to look more like a Buggy especially when you remove the plastic body. Think about this for minute. build a 1600 A-arm, chrome moly chassis and put your favorite UTV power plant in it.. You would have a buggy with a safe chassis, 80 more horsepower and 4 wheel drive and no plastic body parts. That would make an awesome short course racer. Only drawback is there are no rules that would allow it. At least for now!