UTV Race Reports

JerryB

Reaction
Just checking to see what the interest and response would be to posting UTV race results in a thread under the UTV section? All UTV racing, big and small, desert and short course doesn't matter, just needs to be UTV. If people think it's a good idea and are willing to contribute their stories we can start off here? Wasn't going to start one if no one is interested in reading them.

Any thoughts?

JerryB

Reaction
EDIT... race "REPORTS". Like to read race reports from those of us racing in UTV class, whichever series you run.

JerryB

Reaction
We hadn't had the car out for a race since January at Parker 250, so I was eager to get back out and start racing again. We decided to finish off the year with the DP4 series, which has been growing with each event they've put on, and they didn't disappoint for this weekend. We attended Round 2 in Ridgecrest on July 11 which was a night race. Pro Turbo was set to leave the line at 7pm, but it was scorching hot so they pushed the start back a little for the sun to set a little further and hopefully cool down. It got pushed back a little further when the ambulance had a mechanical and they had to bring in another; I think we got off the line a little after 8.

The race was 5 laps on a 27 mile loop, so 135 miles was going to be a sprint. We passed a few cars on the first lap and by the end it was now good an dark, with little wind moving the dust off the course. As we were approaching the start/finish, I had caught up to another car and was working through their dust, following their lights setting up for a pass, when I realized I had followed him off course, as I saw I was now being passed by Chris Blaise who was actually on course!🤦‍♂️ So we headed back out on the second lap.

The course was very tight and twisty in spots, with a lot of direction changes which in the night snuck up on you, so I blew through and/or wide on a few turns doing a little landscaping as we went. The course was bordered with large boulders which caught a few cars out, luckily we avoided those. At mile 21 on the second lap, I did manage to find a rock sticking out from the shoulder of the main groove, just enough to destroy the sidewall of my left front tire. It caught the beadlock ring of the wheel, and generated a hell of a bang, which I figured was the wheel exploding....happy to say my OMF wheel took it like a champ and was still in one piece. My son Bryce who was navigating for his first race, hopped out to change the tire and look the car over for any damage. Took a little longer than we should have but we were back running again and within a couple miles began seeing low voltage warnings on the dash. We shut down all but 2 lights and the radio and got back into the pit to see if we could make a quick repair. The guys in the pits did a great job of getting us in and out quickly, however, the shredded alternator belt (on my secondary alternator) they found would have taken a while to change, since this was basically a sprint race, we decided to soldier on with just the 2 lights as the stator seemed to be doing okay with the minimal load, and the new Full Throttle Batteries we had just installed were holding up well.

During our stop, Bryce got out and my buddies son Trey got in to finish off the race; this was his first time in the car also. I try to get all our family and friends who come out to help out seat time in the car and their navigation skills are getting better with every ride. Both Bryce and Trey kept us moving and on course.....except for my overdriving into a few turns! Thanks to corona, I haven't gotten the seat time in the car I was expecting to have had by now, I know we can run pace with some of the guys who've been driving UTV's for a few years so looking forward to the next few races.

Jerry

Bad-Latitude

Reaction
I like this idea. I like hearing about other peoples races.
I also raced Round 2 of the DP4 series in Ridgecrest. I was running in the Production 1000 class. I ran a race last year with DP4 and tweaked my car pretty bad, so this was my first race back after fixing the car and making some improvements.

Like JerryB said, the race start was pushed back from 700 until just after 8. I was in a fairly stock YXZ1000, with the stock Bighorn tires still, so I knew that I needed to avoid hitting rocks. Since the last race I had to straighten the front of the car (I bent it nearly 2 inches to the passenger side), I built a new front bumper, added three pod lights to the bumper, added a 42" LED bar to the roof, modified the rear of the car to move the spare tires about a foot farther backwards to improve the cars handling through the whoops, added a race radio and intercom and redid the wiring in the car. I tested the car the morning of the race to see how the suspension was after modifying the rear of the car. I am happy to say that it was greatly improved.

We started the race 34th car off the line and 4th in class. I made it through the first lap without any issues. The course was super fast, with very few rock section, but the edges of the course was littered with boulders that were just ready to rip a corner off of the car. The first lap was pretty dusty and we had to learn the course. We headed out on lap number two and the main goal was to start picking up the pace and not get passed by anybody. By the end of lap two, I think we had moved into third place. We did a quick pit stop to fill up with fuel before we headed out for the third lap.

At this point it seemed like everybody was getting pretty spread out because the dust was not bad at all. I had anticipated having to shut the roof LED bar off a lot due to the dust, but we barely had any dust to deal with at all. The next two laps felt like they went by really fast. We got the checkered flag at the end of lap four. The leader passed up around the halfway point of lap four so since it was grand prix style finish we did not get out fifth lap. At the end of the race we ended up second in class and 18th overall. All in all the race was pretty uneventful for us which was great. It was a really good layout and we had a ton of fun.

I have raced in District 37, Score, BITD, SNORE, MORE and MDR races and I have to say I was really impressed with how the DP4 race series was run. It was well marked and I feel that they ran it very professionally. All in all we suffered one leaking CV boot. No flats or any other mechanical issues. I cant wait for the next race.

JerryB

Reaction
On Saturday August 29, DP4 held round 3 in Johnson Valley, starting at Soggy Dry Lake. It was hot, but a bit cooler than the previous race in Ridgecrest. This was to be another night race, set to start at 7pm. Course was approximately 27 miles, with 5 laps scheduled. I unfortunately drew the last starting position, behind 14 other cars in pro turbo, I knew it was going to be a rough day as it was really dusty and there were a few pretty fast cars ahead of us and we were starting at 20 second intervals. We got off the line and and I just put my head down, plan was to try to get by as many cars as I could on the first lap before the sun went down. We blazed thru the field, passing about 5 cars on the first lap. Around mile 22, the electrical gremlin I thought I had fixed came back. I began getting low voltage warnings on the dash, and to make it worse than the last time, fuel pressure was tanking.

I slowed for a few minutes, thinking I may have an actual fuel leak and was concerned about a fire. Smelling no fuel and seeing the pressure fluctuate back up to normal, I figured no leak, just a drop in pressure from low voltage to the pump, I decided to continue on to the pit and have the guys look at it to see if there was anything obvious we could repair quickly. Nothing was found so we decided to soldier on like we did the last race with bare minimum lighting on. Headed out on the second lap and ran a good pace with my codriver Trey cycling lights on and off as we needed them or had the power to run them. Coming around on the third lap, the pits let us know we looked to be running within a minute or two of the leader on corrected time so I really began to try and put on a charge. About half way through the lap I could see the tailights of the lead cars just ahead of us in the distance, I figured we were even if not ahead at this point on corrected time. A few miles later, BANG! Sounded like we broke an axle, but getting out and surveying the car we found nothing obvious, but clearly something broke. We hopped back in and limped it back around to the pit where I could now see the oil starting to run out from the front bulkhead under the diff. Super frustrating as we really had a good pace going and were reeling in the leaders with plenty of time to go.

Big thanks to the John, Jimmy, Trey, my dad, my son, the wife, Hanna and Heidi for supporting us. And all of our sponsors: Kasch Graphics, OMF, KWI, proutvparts.com, Fullthrottle Battery, APfab and Rokblokz....

OffRoadRCRatHart

Reaction
On Saturday August 29, DP4 held round 3 in Johnson Valley, starting at Soggy Dry Lake. It was hot, but a bit cooler than the previous race in Ridgecrest. This was to be another night race, set to start at 7pm. Course was approximately 27 miles, with 5 laps scheduled. I unfortunately drew the last starting position, behind 14 other cars in pro turbo, I knew it was going to be a rough day as it was really dusty and there were a few pretty fast cars ahead of us and we were starting at 20 second intervals. We got off the line and and I just put my head down, plan was to try to get by as many cars as I could on the first lap before the sun went down. We blazed thru the field, passing about 5 cars on the first lap. Around mile 22, the electrical gremlin I thought I had fixed came back. I began getting low voltage warnings on the dash, and to make it worse than the last time, fuel pressure was tanking.

I slowed for a few minutes, thinking I may have an actual fuel leak and was concerned about a fire. Smelling no fuel and seeing the pressure fluctuate back up to normal, I figured no leak, just a drop in pressure from low voltage to the pump, I decided to continue on to the pit and have the guys look at it to see if there was anything obvious we could repair quickly. Nothing was found so we decided to soldier on like we did the last race with bare minimum lighting on. Headed out on the second lap and ran a good pace with my codriver Trey cycling lights on and off as we needed them or had the power to run them. Coming around on the third lap, the pits let us know we looked to be running within a minute or two of the leader on corrected time so I really began to try and put on a charge. About half way through the lap I could see the tailights of the lead cars just ahead of us in the distance, I figured we were even if not ahead at this point on corrected time. A few miles later, BANG! Sounded like we broke an axle, but getting out and surveying the car we found nothing obvious, but clearly something broke. We hopped back in and limped it back around to the pit where I could now see the oil starting to run out from the front bulkhead under the diff. Super frustrating as we really had a good pace going and were reeling in the leaders with plenty of time to go.

Big thanks to the John, Jimmy, Trey, my dad, my son, the wife, Hanna and Heidi for supporting us. And all of our sponsors: Kasch Graphics, OMF, KWI, proutvparts.com, Fullthrottle Battery, APfab and Rokblokz....
Hi Jerry...are you signing up for DP4 round 4? This is Dave, DD Racing

JerryB

Reaction
Hey Dave, no unfortunately I had a few obligations come up and won't be able to make it. Hoping to be there in December, but still on the fence as I think we're going to race Pahrump in January with the new Legacy series. May not leave us much time if I break the car in December. We'll see.