UTV Sportsman Rally BITD requirements

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I really did try and search and looked thru the BITD rules but man I am more confused than before.

What do I need to do to my stock Can am to make it BITD legal for the sportsman class? I think the sportsman class if the most stock but maybe its UTV Rally? IDK I know they have a class that allows stock fuel tank.

I know I need window nets, but do I need them in the back seats also? its a 4 seat can am.

Someone said I need aftermarket seats and belts with sub strap.

Then the normal safety gear, like extinguisher, first aid, etc..

A rear chase light with amber and Blue lights. I have the Rigid Chase bar so that should be good.

We have a aftermarket cage.

What else do I need?

Do I need a battery cut off switch?

We already have SDG suspension setup, That should be required for everyone racing. Haha

Mike

PS- yes I know it has CV's LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Rcamp99

RDC Crypto
Seats, belts, window nets, aftermarket cage, battery switch, rear lights tied to battery switch not ignition, safety gear, horn, that’s mainly it besides the basic stuff.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
I really did try and search and looked thru the BITD rules but man I am more confused than before.

What do I need to do to my stock Can am to make it BITD legal for the sportsman class? I think the sportsman class if the most stock but maybe its UTV Rally? IDK I know they have a class that allows stock fuel tank.

I know I need window nets, but do I need them in the back seats also? its a 4 seat can am.

Someone said I need aftermarket seats and belts with sub strap.

Then the normal safety gear, like extinguisher, first aid, etc..

A rear chase light with amber and Blue lights. I have the Rigid Chase bar so that should be good.

We have a aftermarket cage.

What else do I need?

Do I need a battery cut off switch?

We already have SDG suspension setup, That should be required for everyone racing. Haha

Mike

PS- yes I know it has CV's LOL
Mike she looks nice don't do it!

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
this may be a stupid question but what do they think a B pilar is?

I assume B Pilar is the attach point behind the back seats. But I dont understand how you can build a X3 cage without a B Pilar so maybe I am confused.

Mike

nickc313

RDC Crypto
I believe your b pillar would be considered where you have mounted your fire extinguisher. But since you have a 4 seater IDK if thats really the B pillar or maybe C... IDK.

Lots of companies sell whip mounts for "B pillars" on can ams and this is what they show

But in reality, if you've got an aftermarket cage that isnt made out of PVC pipes you're going to be good to go at tech.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
OK thats what I thought. Our cage is legit and we actually strengthened all the attach points. I feel good about it.

So what about battery switch? does it have to be accessible from cockpit? Or can it be mounted back by the battery?

Do the Window nets have to be SFI? it just says window nets.

And it sounds like I need a secondary latch on the doors?

We do not plan to race hard just pre running. So I don't need to go crazy.

Mike

nickc313

RDC Crypto
I ran the rally class all year for fun and the only "battery switch" I had was the key switch... Never had an issue.

The funny thing about the window nets is they tell you they "should be" SFI but half the rs1's out there are using chicken wire type shenanigans so I really think any net is cool.

Secondary latch they do check (occasionally lol)- My rzr was built and doesnt have opening doors but most people would drill a small hole behind the door latch and put a removable pin of some sort there so when you push the door button to open it doesnt engage all the way- it hits the pin and doesn't actually open. Then they could remove the pin and have normal functioning doors (if that makes any sense at all)

The rally class is fun as poop. But you will destroy that beautiful rig if you want to be competitive. Being the most "accessible" class (36 entrants at the utvwc last weekend) provides for some fun competition as there are some fast guys in rally. There are obviously also some noobs just trying to learn the sport and have fun but dollar for dollar this has to be one of the most enjoyable classes imo.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Thanks. We are not looking at being competitive. We just want to pre run and have some fun.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
So pretty much here is what you need to do to a stock UTV to make it race ready.

Window nets (only front seats)
Secondary Door latch
After Market cage
Chase light with Blue light
7lbs total of Fire extinguishers. So if you use 2.5lbs units you need 3. 1 in Cab and 2 on back
Front and rear bumpers
Battery switch that can be turned off from outside.
Horn
5 point seat belts (must have sub belt)
You can use stock seats but its recommended to get after market seats.

I didn't see anything about radio but I think thats a good idea.

Mike

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
scca external access battery switch with a on/ off marker sticker for corner worker, another trick just T handel to a connecting rod to lever on batt switch, also get the alt cut out 4 pole type switch, kills Everything when turned off

Attachments

• 81G91zM5KZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81G91zM5KZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
One additional item for 2022 UTV Rally is the requirement for "B Pillar"

Funny thing is I asked around and everyone I talked to said the B Pillar is on the rear of the cage. Not that I talked to any "experts" but I asked on here and a few guys that make cages. They all thought B pillar was in the back. A quick google search shows B pillar mounts that are on the back and does not show the front of the cage. (I get that Google does not know everything)

When I asked BITD they said the B pillar is the front that goes from the top of the windshield down to keep the front of the cage from collapsing. I thought that was called the A pillar. But what do I know, seriously I don't build cages. Haha

Anyway with a Can Am there isn't really a way to make a bar that goes directly down from the bend in the front of the cage without blocking the ability to get in and out. It would go right were your legs go to get in. The Rally class is supposed to be more stock but if they are going to require this tube they are basically making you have to build a cage that does not have doors and you have to climb in and out.

Thought I would clear that up before someone shows up next season and does not have this bar, whatever its called.

this was the only 4 seater I could find with that bar, but when you look at the pics with the door open the bar does not go anywhere that would carry a load, Its floating.

Mike

Attachments

• fabwerx-can-am-x3-cage-4-seat-2017-ca-x3m-ag__92476.1607788098.jpg
    fabwerx-can-am-x3-cage-4-seat-2017-ca-x3m-ag__92476.1607788098.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 0
  • fabwerx-can-am-x3-cage-4-seat-2017-ca-x3m-ag__84650.1607768053.jpg
    fabwerx-can-am-x3-cage-4-seat-2017-ca-x3m-ag__84650.1607768053.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 0

Total Loss

RDC Crypto
The B pillar is the bar that is attached at the A pillar point at the roof rail...should go straight or nearly straight down to the frame behind the door.
Hinders the in and out with a door slammer ( need good folding knees) but helps carry roof rail load in a rollover.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Ok thanks good to know. They should give pics for us guys that don’t know what the hell we are doing.

Mike

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
check fia rules, the A plir is what its Always been, fia has tube in triangulation going straigt down to a point that atatches to your door X bars, then kicks forward to land in foot box with A pillr landing, X landing, b pilr is the one behind you that is the main hoop, c pillar is rear kickers, check nhra, scca, fia, its tuff, i know, but build it as close to fia as possible

Attachments

• 20211101_191719-1.jpg
    20211101_191719-1.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 0

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
what are the tubes under ' 6', pointing to rear tech/ correct nomenclature? i call them main hoop rear kickers, rear main down tubes

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Ok so what they are talking about is the A pillar, not B pillar.

Mike

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
A pillar would be the upright bars at the windshield area. B pillar would be upright bars behind driver's head. C pillar would be upright bars behind heads of backseat passengers. Most 2 seat cars do not have C pillars. This is how it is taught by the Federal and State Gov't agencies for vehicle construction/destruction for first responders who have to cut cars apart to save people. If these are in reference to vehicle safety, then these pillar assignments should apply.