• Forum membership has its advantages....

UTV Tire / Setup Questions

jcarius

This is going to be fun ...

I'm a life-long buggy dork. Class 9/10/12 - whatever. But ever changing circumstances have moved a XP4 that has been built for desert racing into my garage .... And I realize know _nothing_ about UTVs.

Up here in Northern Nevada VORRA runs both short course and desert events. I'm pretty sure I can get my butt around a desert course alright - but in order to not have a completely crappy time at the short course events, what kind of setup changes should I make? Smaller wheels / tires? (If so, any recommendations?) Drop the ride height? Forget it and just have a good time?

Thanks!

Jim

NIKAL

For short course, look at the GMZ Cutthroat tire. It looks like a smaller Yoko SuperDigger, but with a more open tread pattern to get more bite. It comes in a 28 inch. I believe that tire has had a great history in short course racing. GMZ also offers a racers program.

I have prerun in Baja with that same tire and had great luck too.

1554936990862.jpeg

fastcash

This is going to be fun ...

I'm a life-long buggy dork. Class 9/10/12 - whatever. But ever changing circumstances have moved a XP4 that has been built for desert racing into my garage .... And I realize know _nothing_ about UTVs.

Up here in Northern Nevada VORRA runs both short course and desert events. I'm pretty sure I can get my butt around a desert course alright - but in order to not have a completely crappy time at the short course events, what kind of setup changes should I make? Smaller wheels / tires? (If so, any recommendations?) Drop the ride height? Forget it and just have a good time?

Thanks!

Jim
Jim,
Get the car as low as you can without totally screwing up the suspension geometry.
A good starting point is the lowest spring pre-load the factory manual lists. Then
start tweaking on the shock settings.
Then when you get faster it might be time for 2nd set of dedicated shocks.
Smaller tires will help for sure.
You have to drive the crap out of it in short course, not like desert racing for sure.
Good fun.
Chris

speedfun

I make the best short course tires & wheels hands down, This combo weighs 32 pounds- wheel will not pack with mud or dirt--
Ay glen Helen Elliott Watson put a set on for a regional race and went 1.3 seconds faster a lap-- Put a whoopin on Corry Weller that won the day before.. I have the lap times to prove this too......
Then LOORRS BANNED them-- but for your series or any other USA series totally legal.
Now get some and go kick some ass

Attachments

Last edited: