V-drives

UndercoverFab

Reaction
what kind of V drives do trophy trucks and truggys use? when my old man was into boat racing I used casale`s but i don`t know if they can take the sustained abuse from desert racing.

kjmiller1

Reaction
Do they use V drives for mid-engine or rear engine setups? V drives are called "V" drives because the drive shafts effectively make a V right? Sorry I can't answer your question, you just sparked my curiosity

dadomin8r

Reaction
I don't think they use casale's anymore cuz I saw the Herbst boys checking out some old truck at the Parker 400 saying "Holy crap is that a casale on that thing?"

gary

Reaction
taken from www.hermanmotorsports.com
[image]http://hermanmotorsports.com/gallery/bdl10.htm[/image]
The transmission is a 3 speed automatic which transfers power forward to Casale V-Drive then back to an offset rear end. The mid-engine design utilizes a Ford SVO 412 cubic inch V8 which produces 750 horsepower.

that'd be damen jeffries truck...i think the herbst team considers him as competition, so i spose it'd depend on the truck it's in

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
What old truck could the of been looking at?

Ther are only a few trucks with v-drive's and none could be considered old.

Damens' truck......steve's truck.......marty coynes(robbys last) and I think ragland truck has one.
are there any others????

homey

Reaction
The Tubeworks Truggy has a V-Drive in it. It was at the Pamona Off-Road Expo.

ntsqd

Reaction
There was a '67-'72 bodied Ford on a trailer at Primm 2 years ago set up mid engine with a Casale. Pretty sure of the body vintage, Todd Z was there with me. Maybe he can confirm or deny. In any case, it was NOT and late model body. Looked like someone's project truck more than a racer.

dadomin8r

Reaction
It might have been the same one, but it looked like too much work to be someones' project (nice work too). It was an early body stlyle (F-100 style) mid engine. I saw it on a trailer at one of the pits. Maybe someone tooks some pics of it?

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Its a very nice truck with centermount lower a arms. Its the header guy from Arizona but I cannot think of his name right now. We had some pics of it from laughlin a long time ago on our site.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Re: "There are only a few trucks with v-drive's and none could be considered old."

Not true...That idea, along with most other things out there, goes back over 20 years. Mickey Thompson even had some cars based on a very similar idea back around 1979. The engine sat backwards the same way as today and was hooked to a 3-linked solid axle. It worked very well, but extra long travel and bypass shocks were'nt on the scene yet.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Just like Juan B. said...

Greg Holman from Kingman.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Uno mas....

UndercoverFab

Reaction
so to answer my question a casale v drive is strogn enoguh to withstand the rigors of the desert?

dam thread hijackers haha

Reaction
That is a very cool truck. One thing that I noticed is that the drive shaft is still in the center of the truck. Most of the V-drive trucks I have seen have them on the pass. side because of the v-drive. Does anyone know if the V-drive was mounted vertically or if everything was off-set, or the engine was mounted on an angle in the back? Matt

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
I ran into Andy Casale a couple of years ago, He at the time, was the owner
of Casale. Casale has been making marine V drives for forever.He described he
had done some development work on some of the well known trophy truck & truggys
(possibly Herbst)?... Anyway, I am sure he did some work developing gear boxes
for stadium superlites & other off-road race cars A few years back.

Answer to the HP/Reliability issue, i have seen drag boats with over 1000 hp running
through them.

I still see his card floating around my desk from time to time. If anyone needs his number,
I can easily dig it up.
Wayne

UndercoverFab

Reaction
i need his number, as far as reliability goes i wanted to know how much sustained abuse they could withstand, I know from past experience how much power drag boats put out but if you added up every pass they make in a season it would come out around 20 minutes of use the vdrive saw, anyways a few people have pm`ed me and given me the info i need thanks guys

Reaction
All the Schiada ski racing boats run them. They are also over a 1000hp and race for substained amounts of time in rough water. I have even seen one twist a prop shaft like a pretzel.