• Forum membership has its advantages....

V2R cellular coverage

johndjmix

First year for us doing V2R. In the past years, How is the cell coverage on the course and common chase roads?

Wondering how LeadNav will work via cell data for tracking...

--John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

mgobaja

ATT works in Rawhide if I recall, which is the one real remote pit. Verizon works most everywhere else, even in Gabbs.

RacingTraX

First year for us doing V2R. In the past years, How is the cell coverage on the course and common chase roads?

Wondering how LeadNav will work via cell data for tracking...

--John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
We will be tracking every vehicle in the race, if you have good cell service you can pull up our live map on your smart phone at www.racingtrax.com. We also have an option for $22 to enter your phone number and get positions updates via text message every 8 minute. We heard from quite a few teams that they didn't have good enough cell service to surf the web but they did have just enough to receive a text. If you are in an area with good cell coverage also be sure to check out our live leaderboard so you can see who's winning on corrected time, not just physical class leaders.

bobylax

From my experience on the southern part of the course, if you are around Beatty, Tonopah, or if the course is within a mile of Hwy 95, I would have 1 to 3 bars with Sprint. Seemed that a few friends and family with Verizon fared a bit better. When we got more than a mile from the hiway, zippo on coverage. Make sure you have a radio that can contact BITD, as the terrain may make it tough to transmit from car to pit/chase, but the BITD check and monitor points are close enough together to relay any issues to race control or Rugged Relay. Have a fun, safe race!!!

ndvalium

Rescue Director
First off:

I have done this race since it started and it certainly has improved since the early days 21 years ago. After last year having patients in zero communications areas, I have upgraded 2 of our trucks with sat phones and 2 others have them as well. As we build future trucks, everyone of them will have sat phones in them.

Coverage on a normal day and coverage on race day are very different for the entire area we are racing. A tower is only built to handle a certain number of devices and come race day, we overload the system from normal expectations. Try and use text vs voice as much as possible!

Start / Good Coverage

Pit 1 - Limited in the pit - spotty on the road in the immediate area

Pit 2 - Almost nothing at the actual pit. About 6 miles before the pit closer to 95, you will lose it as you go around a curve in the road.

Pit 3 - Tower at the pit - Good Coverage

Pit 4 - Good in town of Goldfield - crappy and spotty in the actual pit

Pit 5 - Good Coverage

Pit 6 - Good Coverage

Pit 7 - Good Coverage but spotty between 6 and 7

Pit 8 - Good Coverage

Pit 9 - Crappy Coverage in pit - good though til right before you drop into it

Pit 10 - Good Coverage - Make sure u stop by the Burger hut in Mina - amazing burgers

Pit 11 - Gabbs is good coverage, overloaded system. - if you leave and go north towards Fallon from Gabbs there is no communication for about 60 miles - no phones and 0 radio relay reception.

Pit 12 - Of coverage and not usually overloaded as many teams dont service there

Pit 13 - Good coverage

Pit 14 - Good coverage at the pit

Finish - Good coverage but sometimes overloaded becuase everyone wants to post pictures and facebook live and streaming stuff there in the pit so it get overloaded from about 8pm to midnight.

johndjmix

We are good on the radio side with kenwoods in all race and chase trucks along with masts to Erict in the pits. I was just hoping to use the leadnav tracking feature to keep track of all of our race/chase vehicles without the sat upgrade yet.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

EMS702

Rescue 1
I use leadnav on my Ipad that is not cell ready but I have the SAT puck they offer on their site. However I found mine on amazon a little cheaper. 129.00 as opposed to 149.00 its a simple piece of equip. I use it when I download trail maps around Vegas area. This will be my first V2R with it. At Mint i used it out in no mans land and I found trail fairly easy. Most Ipads if cell data ready have a built in GPS that should work in the spaces between signals. I know a few folks who said it worked for them.

johndjmix

Remember GPS is a one-way thing. If you want to use the team tracking feature in leadnav you need data ability (Cellular or Sat)