V2R on Google Earth

Zambo

Reaction
This zip file contains two files, the first one has day one and two course info, the second one contains day three. It will probably look all jumbled up or maybe not even show when you first open it. You'll have to tweak some GE settings to get it to look good.

When it shows up in your temporary places folder, expand the file by clicking on the little arrow next to where is says 'GPS device.' You will see waypoints and tracks. Uncheck the waypoints box for now. This will greatly unclutter things. Expand tracks by clicking its arrow. Keep path selected but deselect points. You should see the course line. If you want to see the mile markers and pit locations, you can make them visible by messing with the waypoints folder.

If you don't see anything, try adjusting the timeline slider at the top of the map. Any points that were created outside of the timeline that your slider is set to won't show up. I don't really understand it that much but when I first tried the file I couldn't see anything until I adjusted this.

Day two and three overlap somewhat so if you view all three stages at once it might look somewhat confusing. Hint, if you right click where it says 'path' on the left of the screen, you should be able to change the color of the path so you can see different colors for different days.

Attachments

• v2r.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 378

fisher1648

Reaction
Hello,

We'll also be racing V2R (Bike #971 KTM) and I was wondering if you know how to convert the GE files to the Garmin ".gdb" format ? Any chance you already have them in that format ??

Any help much appreciated -

Thanks, Eric

Zambo

Reaction
You can convert any kind of gps format file to any other kind of format by using a very simple program called GPS Babel. Do a search for it, its easy.

BITD has the .gpx files for Garmin available for download right on their website, in fact I used those files to create the google earth file. I guess a .gbd file is for MapSource? Perhaps mapsource will open the .gpx file or you can just use gpsbabel to convert the file into whatever format you need.

fisher1648

Reaction
Great - thanks !! I didnt notice that BITD added them already :)

All loaded into my Garmin and ready to go -

Last edited:

Zambo

Reaction
Well it looks like 100+ folks have downloaded this file but I haven't heard from anybody if it works or if it doesn't work.

dislocated1

Reaction
I can view it in google earth.. I changed the timeline like you said..... Thanks Zambo!

Zambo

Reaction
Okay cool, yeah that timeline thing is weird. Something about assigning a time to gps data and then only being able to view that data on GE if that time falls within the timeline slider.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
works great. thanks for the effort. i'll bet that took a while. it's a bit cluttered like you said but i'd rather have it cluttered than incomplete.