• Forum membership has its advantages....

V2R pit questions and maybe more

51rcr

on the pit closing times. If you don't make it to it on time are you done for the day? The whole race? If you miss it by a little bit can you keep going and more then likely make it back into time? Seems you hear of this happening in baja.
Also the stationary pits. The truck cant beat you to the pits. Does this mean the pit truck has to be there before the race truck or you cant pit? Not that were counting on problems but its nice to know if you do you can keep having fun and maybe make it.
Any other tips ect be great also.
Besides were almost ready. The scrambler has no axles under it. The front is going to be in pieces for probably 3 more days and still need to make a leaf spring. Which we only have enough material I guess to make it once. How many of you trust your buddies when they say they can make it match to a T, something about the extra reassurance of there accuracy makes me kinda wonder sometimes. haha.

y2kbaja

Pit closing times are just that. You can fudge by a minute or two. The Check points (which are secret) may stop you from continuing. If you are done on day 1 I imagine they will let you race day 2. Stationary pits mean the chase truck will not beat the race car from or to the pit. This usually means you need a dedicated chaser to go there. Look up Nohandslance for help at Rawhide. Sometimes you will need 3 chasers at the north end: Rawhide, Top Gun and Weeks.

51rcr

So they have to be there in the morning to use it as a pit. Whats there idea behind this? Sure hard if you don't have help and cant make that on fuel and cuts the help in half it you do.

y2kbaja

All the pits are accessible, no one is land locked in. So you don't need to be there early. Look at the chase miles chart and determine when you crew needs to leave in order to be on time. Note: from Hawthorne to Rawhide is an easy graded road. Leaving Rawhide to the north is paved. If you're coming from Gabbs it's also dirt.

We would usually have two chase trucks leapfrog all day then split and either go to Top Gun, Weeks or Rawhide. We could usually find help at one of the three. nohandslance will be at Rawhide. Contact him on the other thread for support. Then send your crew to TG or weeks.