V2R Quad/Vehicle Incident

ACME

RDC Crypto
C&P below from Gunslingers thread which is basically the same:

Maybe the answer is a blend of what PAB has suggested for years: Run the handlebar guys earlier and start the restricted cars later and also segregate the top 2-3 classes out of the equation if their speed is the primary concern.

Run or Start those "unlimited" classes the day after in their own race on the tore up course and cut off any bikes at pits via a physical checkpoint there so they will not be on the course after the unlimiteds start. Increase their entry to offset the insurance/permit and other additional costs.

As for back markers; it's a fact no back marker ever thinks they are out of it: Car, bike, truck or ATV. And there are tons of incidents where even "top teams" in the seat classes, are running way behind and have made stupid decisions due to egos or arrogance and affected other peoples races. The problem is the promoters aren't really interested in calling out a top team so a lot of "Rich Head" situations are pushed aside or ignored. A few get dealt with between the parties and a few others become a popularity battle with a lot of the "have an opinion" keyboard experts on RDC...

FirePig

RDC Crypto
I like this reflective outterwear idea. Glad to see it worked for Mark. In the fire service we have to wear ANSI certified vests when working an incident on a highway. Even with all the flashing lights on all our apparatus it still gives the individual an extra level of protection. I think if we required something approaching ANSI Class 3 standards, 310 square inches reflective material minimum, and focused the amount of reflective material to the back, that may increase the safety factor.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Firepig- I always used a red LED facing forward on my helmet because it seemed to create the best reflective environment in smoke which is akin to what the dust is like. The reflective stripes on turnout jackets and yellow reflective chevrons on helmets always popped well under red light. To much glare with white in smoke and it's no different in dust. From personal experience, the red and green LEDs seem to work best during daylight hours on the front of cars. At night it isn't so much an issue as any light catching you is catching you.

FirePig

RDC Crypto
Firepig- I always used a red LED facing forward on my helmet because it seemed to create the best reflective environment in smoke which is akin to what the dust is like. The reflective stripes on turnout jackets and yellow reflective chevrons on helmets always popped well under red light. To much glare with white in smoke and it's no different in dust. From personal experience, the red and green LEDs seem to work best during daylight hours on the front of cars. At night it isn't so much an issue as any light catching you is catching you.
I use a red light on my structure helmet as well. But that, as you say, is it reduces reflection off smoke particulates. But all we need here is something big and loud that shouts BIKE/QUAD AHEAD!!! to someone approaching from the rear.

Bricoop

RDC Crypto

ndvalium

Rescue Director
RDC Crypto
Had about a 2 hour meeting today at BITD and discussed this and several other critical safety subjects. I think we will see some significant changes for 2018 Vegas to Reno. I wont release details at this point as quite frankly there are a half dozen significant improvements that we know we can make for this race to be safer and still challenge all of our racers to make sure they get out of this race what Casey envisioned.

Please keep in mind that September and October are two brand new races for Best in the Desert so while 2018 (and even 2019 now) is being worked on, most energy is focused at the success of the Silver State 150 and the Tonopah 250 events for 2017.

So it might be a couple months for announcements to be made after decisions are finalized but know that BITD not only hears everyone's concerns, but also shares in them. While we have had some opportunity for this to happen in previous races, this is the first time it has happened where a Quad and Truck had an accident. We will make changes to try and again minimize these situations the best we can for everyone.

I thank everyone that has provided suggestions and productive comments so far. If you have more, feel free to continue posting as BITD is always evolving. what is best today, may change next week, month, year as we learn from things and technology changes. I also am very excited with the continued advancement and dedication Racing Trax continues to pump into our sport. It isn't the only answer but they are doing amazing things for Best in the Desert racers and improving their system every single race.

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
BIKES DO NOT BELONG BEHIND THE 4 WHEEL RACERS
I started the 1987 Score Great Mojave 250 where they started the bikes after the cars and trucks.
With in the first 5 miles I was passing 4 wheel racers.I had a Air horn installed on my bike but it only lasted about 50 miles of a 250 mile race. So I was having to kick there side/door panels with my boot due to the fact they could not see or hear a bike coming.
No thank you
NO WAY to dangerous.

I've heard this story before and thought it was a legend, a tale, or a story my dad made up. I guess not.

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us
The answer is to start the fastest vehicles first.... Any other solution is because we "want to popularize the sport"... People have to die so the TT's can be in the spot light... .. I would be ashamed...

RDC Crypto
Indy no longer has "riding mechanics" since reliability and speeds have increased. Guess that's probably why ratings have dropped over the decades...