V2R Time Trial - Team #1511 - "doggone speed bumps!" ***VIDEO***

WickedGravityVideo

Class 1 unlimited buggy, team #1511, V2R qualifying time trial, practice lap, Primm, NV, 8-18-09

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0kGzpX3mo"]YouTube - Class 1 Unlimited Buggy Rollover Crash 2009 BITD Vegas to Reno Desert Race 1511 Nevada V2R[/ame]

Dezertpilot

That is rad they just drove away.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
so I take it had no damage and was able to race?

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Happens in VW's al the time, is there a way to hit the throttle before or right at the jump to make the car come out level or straight, instead of the rear bumping up ?

el tiburon

WickedGravityVideo

Yeah, I think that works, but you saw the video of Jerry Whelchel.... if I am not mistaken, he rushed right up to the bump and hit the brakes hard, perhaps too hard, and it kicked his front end way way up.... his truck is always nose light, it seems -- better that than a front-end digger, right?

I am certain that the couch surfing internet experts (like me) will figure this one out and offer advice to those that actually race in the posts to come. I, for one, wear a race suit on my couch at the keyboard... sometimes wear a helmet when it gets rough, and am saving up for a neck restraint.

Matt D

Boy Toy
Happens in VW's al the time, is there a way to hit the throttle before or right at the jump to make the car come out level or straight, instead of the rear bumping up ?

el tiburon
I doubt it would work the same but in CORR (pomona) I noticed right before the small bumps on the front straight they would tap the brakes then get on the gas (kind of like pre-loading on a dirtbike)..

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
I doubt it would work the same but in CORR (pomona) I noticed right before the small bumps on the front straight they would tap the brakes then get on the gas (kind of like pre-loading on a dirtbike)..
really easy to preload in a truck but in a buggy with the weight of the engine on the back it tends to want to swing past the rest of the car...

fast eddie

ya boy thats the siz nitz dopest stuff sweet as sweet douggie you all right!!!!
i want my wicked gravity video!!!!!

nafecarytrid

Thanks for posting this. Heard it was out there but couldn't find it. We met these guys at the campground at the end of Day #1 and they were not able to get it together to race so they were chasing another team. I think they said the frame was bent up pretty bad. Really great guys, it was a pleasure to meet them. :)

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
You can still pre-load a buggy, but you are right, it is much easier to pre-load a truck over whoops like that.
All true.........But if that "speed bump"was man made its BS....

Matt D

Boy Toy
really easy to preload in a truck but in a buggy with the weight of the engine on the back it tends to want to swing past the rest of the car...
You can still pre-load a buggy, but you are right, it is much easier to pre-load a truck over whoops like that.
Thats what I figured which is why I said I doubt it would work the same, but thanks Jorge and Andy

WickedGravityVideo

All true.........But if that "speed bump"was man made its BS....
I don't know why you think or say that ... there is lots of manmade stuff on the private land around Primm.... used in SCORE, BITD, and SNORE races. The time trial course went through the CORR track - all manmade.

bajafoolin'

it wasn't a booby trap. didn't you see whelchel and all the others hit that? it sucks for these guys, the ones I met were cool, but no one else crashed there.

M.Harvey1600

that was pretty gnarly... every time i see a racing accident n the dirt my right KNEE starts hurting... great video! from the pics it looks like a lot of cars had a difficult time in that section but were able to get away clean..

wicked gravity did 1511 hit that "speed bump" that much faster and harder than all the others???