• Forum membership has its advantages....

V2R

JDDurfey

It very well may be a bike rider that got his feelings hurt because a TT caught up to him and did not slow down enough. It sucks getting caught by the TTs, I've been there. But they are in a race too and if you are not willing to get out of the way then you run the risk of getting hit.

nickybobby333

I played that game at the 2017 500. My brother went down around RM 120 and I decided to get on the bike and continue to get it to Valle T where my other brother was going to get on. I had about an hour and a half before the trucks caught me and then after that it was a viewing party for me. Every couple miles I would hear them coming and find a safe spot to watch them go by and many times I would be doing the windmill with my arm waving them by! It took me 4 hours to go 50 miles from Colonet to Valle T with a constant head on a swivel and by the time I got to Mike's I was mentally gone. There is no bigger fear and adrenaline rush than being chased down by 20-30 TTs, TTspec, 1 cars, and even the 10 cars caught me coming out of mikes. I cant wait to do it again (maybe with the leader of the 4 wheels catching me towards the end of the race instead of early on) :cool:

redrdr67

Wow, you guys that still do it, I tip my hat off! I must have been lucky at the 500 in 2000. The Herbst TT was real cautious passing me in a wash and the Riviera truck was just as nice on a narrow rocky uphill. Ragland on the other hand scared the I failed spelling out of me passing me on the highway without even knowing it.

JDDurfey

In my racing days I was only caught during the 06 Baja 1000. I got on the bike at SF and rode all the way to San Ignacio and did not get caught. Then I got back on the bike north or Loretto and rode the silt beds, river crossings, and twisty mountains to the next highway crossing. Through there I was caught by a number of TTs, Class 1's, Class 10's and even a couple of Class 8's I believe. My teammate that rode the section before was caught by all the really fast vehicles so it wasn't so bad for me until the end of that section in the really bad silt. The dust was horrible and I was exhausted. So I would wrestle the Pig 50 out of the course ruts and nose it into the brush along the side and wait with the engine off till the dust cleared. Then I would drag it back on the course and re-fire the engine, only to do it again within 5 miles. It sucked, but I was not about to reenter a dust blinded race course.

When it was all said and done, I rode 530 miles of that race.

nickybobby333

In my racing days I was only caught during the 06 Baja 1000. I got on the bike at SF and rode all the way to San Ignacio and did not get caught. Then I got back on the bike north or Loretto and rode the silt beds, river crossings, and twisty mountains to the next highway crossing. Through there I was caught by a number of TTs, Class 1's, Class 10's and even a couple of Class 8's I believe. My teammate that rode the section before was caught by all the really fast vehicles so it wasn't so bad for me until the end of that section in the really bad silt. The dust was horrible and I was exhausted. So I would wrestle the Pig 50 out of the course ruts and nose it into the brush along the side and wait with the engine off till the dust cleared. Then I would drag it back on the course and re-fire the engine, only to do it again within 5 miles. It sucked, but I was not about to reenter a dust blinded race course.

When it was all said and done, I rode 530 miles of that race.
I am sure it was a whole lot of fun kicking the Pig 50 after dragging it on and off the course and racing hundreds of miles. Gotta love Hogs!

JDDurfey

I am sure it was a whole lot of fun kicking the Pig 50 after dragging it on and off the course and racing hundreds of miles. Gotta love Hogs!
I was wore smooth out after. And at the time, it wasn't real fun, but now when I look back it is a memory and accomplishment I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.

I was in good enough shape that year I could have Ironmanned the race and I wish I could have.

redrdr67

I was wore smooth out after. And at the time, it wasn't real fun, but now when I look back it is a memory and accomplishment I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.

I was in good enough shape that year I could have Ironmanned the race and I wish I could have.
Right on JD! Happy to say I know Exactly how you felt, and still do. Even though it wasn't 530 miles for me, 440 miles solo on an stock XR250R which took 14 hours. Train on big fat heavy pig(XR650R), race on gutless lightweight bike. Guarantee finish. :)