v8 conversions in a 97 ranger!!

griffin #11

Reaction
hey guys i am wondering if any of you guys know about any companies that make conversion kits for a 97 ranger.. it has the 4.0 v6. i took it to the desert once and concluded that 230 hp isnt cuttin it! thanks for the help..ohh and i dont have an unltd budjet!.

thanks for your help

5.3Ranger

Reaction
Try Advance Adapters? Also check therangerstation site for some good ranger info. It's really not that hard of a swap, the hard part is emissions if your trying to register it in Cali.

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
230hp isn't enough? Why do you say this? Are you able to hold the skinny pedal to the floor the whole time?

Now I am not trying to be a jerk I just know for a fact 230hp is not to shabby unless your running class 1 or TT. There is more to a car/ truck then just the engine. What gears are you running and with what size tire? Auto or manual trans? If auto is it stock and what is the stall speed?

A V8 is going to cost much more then just getting an engine and adapting it in. Going to need to upgrade the trans and rear axle. You don't have to but trust me with more hp you will snap a stock trans and axle. I have seen multiple times a 9" ring gear destroyed in a Ford Ranger with 250hp and 35" tires. Took pulling the gears before final heat treat to solve that.

Just trying to help you see that adding more hp maybe the most $$ way to were you are trying to go. Also remember a V8 is going to add a bunch of weight up front so be careful on the jumps.. lawn darting is no fun.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
hey guys i am wondering if any of you guys know about any companies that make conversion kits for a 97 ranger.. it has the 4.0 v6. i took it to the desert once and concluded that 230 hp isnt cuttin it! thanks for the help..ohh and i dont have an unltd budjet!.

thanks for your help
I thought you were going to install a turbo?

kdm73091

Reaction
im doing the same thing just tryin to gather up as much info as i can haha. try v8-ranger.com

griffin #11

Reaction
yeah ds racing i was planning to do that but the rules dont allow it. and yeah i do have the petal through the floor all day long. im just ready for more power. another thing...im not in a rush to get this conversion.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
What class are you building this truck to race in?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
A V-8 is illegal for Class 7. Depending on which sanctioning body you choose to race with, forced induction and V-8s are legal in 1450 with MDR. If you choose to race with MORE, then you are limited to a normally aspirated V-6.

griffin #11

Reaction
ok and is there any limitations to wat u can do to the v6? i know no forced induction or nitrous...anything else?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
You just listed the restrictions, the only limitations for the V-6 is the size of your wallet.