V8 - Radiator & transmission Cooler Choice

bROk

Reaction
I have a 302/C4 combo going into my project. What recomendations for best make/model/brand setup to keep my transmission/motor cool. Engine produces under 400hp - not racing, just for play. Anything to stay clear of? Ive been looking at the summit catalog... help.

Thanks

A smart-ass is better than a dumb-ass<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bROk on 03/25/03 10:16 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Ron Davis Radiator w/ an electric fan, and Fluidyne oil/ transmission coolers with fans.
Just be sure to spec the radiator to your horsepower, and you'll be fine.

-Gabe

hoeker

Reaction
not sure on the ron davis rad or fans, but if you go electric don't skimp on the fan. in CORR everyone runs OEM fans, 16" diameter or bigger, and custom make a good shroud for it. the favorites are 16" and 23" fans from ford svo, i hear the new dakota has a great fan, or chevy made one that howe racing sells, not sure what it is off though.

as in another post the setrab oil coolers perform great, and the fan pack is worth the extra bucks. the fluidyne enduro cooler is also a good choice.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

desertracer

Reaction
We are running a Fluidyne oil cooler, I think it is the enduro, it has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. We have a pretty large oil system, about 15 quarts, and with a small scoop for air and the fan, it keeps it at a good temp. For our transmission we are just running a setrab cooler with a fan, but it is one of there smaller ones and works fine for our application. We are thinking about running a water to oil cooler to get our oil temp. a bit lower for racing hard in the summer months. Any ideas a to supplimental cooler that fludyne makes for this application. We already have the bigger cooler with the fan just want a bit more added cooling.

MDR Class 1

bROk

Reaction
hoeker - you mentioned to fab a "good" shroud... can you give me some examples... pics please? Anything would be helpful

A smart-ass is better than a dumb-ass

hoeker

Reaction
don't have any pics yet, maybe after i build my shrouds for the race truck this weekend, but it's really simple. you just have to keep all the air going through the fan, going through the rad. this means NO air leaks at the edges, we've gone so far as to duct tape them on my old race truck. this makes a mess, so avoid it if you can.

many people just mount a 16" fan behind a 19x31 radiator, leave it about 1/2" away, and expect it to cool. not going to happen. if the fan is tight to the rad it's better, but only on the part directly in front of the fan, the rest has nothing. the fan really needs to be 3" back with aluminum sealing between the entire 19x31 core and funneling into the fan. i'll see if i can get you a pict this weekend, shrouds are on the list.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.