Valve cover breathers

Project1500

I used my stock vent tube thats vents out by the top of my frame rail when I installed my Ford 9. Ive seen people use valve cover breathers instead of running a long vent tube. Is that a good idea or is it better than a long vent tube? I would think water would be an issue since it would be so low to the ground. any thoughts?

tedmales

its best to use a longer hose to get it up and above the frame to keep it above water. i have had probelems in some car that the ring gear would sling oil out the vent and i had to use a long hose to keep it from going everywhere. but that was on a quick change rear end. i have a filter right on the vent of my excursion. it works for me, but might not be the best way to go.

life is too short to be small

Project1500

What if I put a valve cover breather on the end of my stock vent tube by the top of my frame? Would there be any benefits or just a waste of money? Also when you take out your rear end drain plug should the fluid level always be right at the hole almost ready to come out?

CanyonMan

I have heard of people using a long hose and K&N breather from a VW beetle to vent their diffs. The long hose keeps water from entering and the breather keeps the dirt out, and being a K&N it is servicable.

As far as diff fluid goes, fill it to the hole until it just starts to come out is usually the best. If you are running a diff cooler like Roush mustangs then a different process may need to be used to bleed the air from the cooler lines. As a side note, I always run full synthetics in my diffs. It reduces the heat and the fluid stays cleaner longer and also adds that tiny bit of rear wheel HP that we can all use.

Lyrch

Project1500

Currie told me to fill my currie built ford 9 with 3 quarts. It didnt fill up to the hole with 3 quarts. Drove around maybe 20 miles then let it sit for like 20 min. My dad came out and checked it and said it was low he put another quart in. It still wasnt at the hole. Anyway it puked gear oil all out the vent tube and covered the complete underside of my truck. I was pissed gear oil stinks too and everything sticks to it. Whenever I take off the plug the fluid is never right there (I always check it at normal ride height)

It still pukes and I think I have had it in there for 2 months now. Could the vent tube just be puking out the excess quart slowly? Could it be puking most all of it out?

Maybe the drain plug is in a different location because its curries design? Maybe it holds more than stock 9's and wont fill to the hole? I remember my 10 bolt was always at the plug.

Anyone? dont want to ruin a perfectly good rear end like the fish did j/k

hoeker

my 9" rear takes 5 quarts and is filled to to hole in the 3rd member. you should have no problem slinging it out the vent no matter what, if you are did currie relocate it? normally it's on the tube where there is little oil slinging action.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

CRAIG_HALL

which fill plug are you talking about the stock one on the front of the carrier,some have one on the side of the carrier also. I also was told 3-quarts on my 9" rear I was told stock is usually 2or2-1/2 quarts obviously us bouncing around 3 is better. My 9" pukes out the vent also with it at the top of the frame with a 2" K&N on a -6 hose to the same spot as yours on the housing. (mine's from performance differential)

hoeker

that looks fine, looks like the stock location. my stuff is usually a little farther out on the tube, and baffled on the inside. it's kind of a pain, but maybe you need to shield it from the gear sets a little bit by welding a baffle on the inside of the housing.

also normally the stock fitting in the housing only has a small (1/16" or less) hole in it. did you put a regular 3/8 " pipe fitting in there? maybe the extra size when combined with the location is the problem.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
If you put the vent hole further out on the tube it will not blow out.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Project1500

Heres another pic of the filler plug with a big mess around it. Is that the normal location?

The nipple that the vent hose slips onto is alot smaller than the stock one. So I cut another piece of tubing about and inch long and it fit snug around the nipple and snug inside my stock vent tube. Then just used a zip tie to keep it on there so far no problems.

So could I be lower than 3 quarts now? Or would all that gear oil just be blow off from the extra quart my dad put in there?

Kritter should I re-tap a new vent nipple a few inches away from the differential?

I need to get under there and steam clean all that mess up then go from there to see if it still pukes gear oil. Where could I go to get it steam cleaned?

Attachments

hoeker

that's the stock fill location, just make sure it stays up to the bottom of the hole and your good on fluid. moving the vent out as far as possible without getting into the bump stop area will definately help.

yotatech

Today in school we were talking about how on some of fords rearends, ford specifies that the fluid level be 1 1/4" below the fill hole. I dont know if this is what currie meant but just a thought. Colin

Project1500

"Today in school we were talking about how on some of fords rearends, ford specifies that the fluid level be 1 1/4" below the fill hole. I dont know if this is what currie meant but just a thought."

When I put the three quarts in like Currie said originally I couldnt feel the gear oil if I put my finger in there.

yotatech

what ford says is to make something that will stick down 1 1/4" to check the level. Im not sure if this pertains to a 9", it was just a thought.