Vaya Con Dios Mama Espinoza

Rennsport Group

Reaction
I just received word from NORRA's Mike Pearlman that the Grand Lady of Baja -- Mama Espinoza -- passed away this morning after gracing this planet for more than 100 years.

For those who don't know, her legendary restaurant at the bottom of El Rosario Canyon was the first checkpoint for those first Mexican 1000 races in the late 1960s. Of course, Mama and her family continued to love and serve the Baja off-road community for decades to come. Her humble establishment is still a must-visit for all of those who explore this special piece of earth.

Mama loved our off-road community -- and visa versa. Vaya con Dios Mama Espinoza.

Marty

ONE_RJ

Reaction
I am sad to hear the passing of Mama. She loved the racers and displayed all photos of them proudly. I was fortunate to meet her on a few occasions pre-running for the 1000 in the late 90s where my photos are still on the wall.
One time I met her she there had just been a false report of her passing by an Ensenada Dr. This was the 2nd time she had been falsely reported as passing.
She will be greatly missed by many that have met her but her legacy will always be remembered in El Rosario for the women with giant tasty lobster.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Slippery P

Reaction
So sad to hear of this, she will ALWAYS be remembered we stopped there every time we were in the area and will continue to.

BobbyD

Reaction
I remember her very well. We used take old clothes down there on pre-runs for the orphanage. She was a very grateful woman. I can still envision the big stack of Lobster burritos she would make for us. Vaya con Dios Mama Espinoza.

Wendell #527

Reaction
We always stopped by there to eat or just have a cold one and look at the pictures on the wall. What a great lady. Via con dios Mama Espinoza.

firedog

Reaction
Never met Mama but have stayed the night there and eaten there. So much racing history on the walls. Thanks Mama for embracing the off-road racing community! Godspeed!

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
Sucks to hear this.. She will be missed.

fusionoffroad

Reaction
Baja racing has lost a legendary person. Baja has racing legends like the Ironman but it also has magistic legends in its people like Mama Espinosa and Coco which in some ways are more legend then lots of its racers. A bit of history was lost but her legend will live on as long as we are making dust in Baja. RIP Mama and thank you for the years of care and support you have given to all who has crossed paths with you.

in2baja

Reaction
Mama was, and will remain, not just a legend... but, she she leaves a legacy full of grace, love, hard work and humility the likes of which will not be seen again soon.

The Magnificent Seven's founding members were there, at Mama's checkpoint, for the very-first-ever Mexican 1000 in 1967. Although only one or two of our "O-G's" remain, Mamas has been a must-do stopping point for the hundreds of modern-day MAG-7 team members as we roll North or South in support of Baja racers.

Although she has not been very "public" for the last few years, all of us who have met her realized quickly, she gently set a high standard to aspire to.

To our very good friends Ruben and Oscar, and their families, we mourn your loss. Mama was a friend to us all for decades.

Everyone in MAG-7 sends our prayers and our best wishes.

Baja is a less-interesting place now, but, Heaven has a worthy new member.

Bill Thompson
Magnificent Seven Pit Services
Pit Captain & President
San Diego, Ca.