Vaya Con Dios to Cal Wells Jr.

Marty Fiolka

RDC Crypto
To all,

It saddens me to inform everyone on RDC of the passing of longtime off-road racing favorite Cal Wells Jr. The father of PPI Racing founder Cal Wells III, Cal was a great guy who loved the sport and rode many times with Bob Gordon in Class 1/Class 2. Cal Jr. always made time to talk to me, and I will always remember his gruff voice that covered a big heart.

The last time we spent time together was for the Dirt Sport Masterpiece in Metal photo shoot and feature story we did on Toyota's 015 Trophy-Truck. We had an awesome day with Cal, Cal III, Tommy Morris and Ivan Stewart.

Vaya con Dios to one of the best. Thanks for everything Cal.

_

RDC Crypto
Wow, so very sad. We all loved father Cal.

Marty, will you please PM me with any info you have on services.

Thanks..!!

Perfect Race

RDC Crypto
Yes very sad. I was talking with Tommy Morris this morning about this. Such a cool guy. His son built a shop and legacy that will be tough to ever match. The Herbst shop is the only thing close to the old PPI shop.
I worked there from 96-98. I was in the off road program in 96 and helped prep Ivans truck and went into Cart in 97 and 98.

A little story on Cal Sr.
He used to ride in the Gordon/Arciero Chenowth class 1. They rolled at Barstow on the big rolling hills out behind Slash X, big downhill bottom out with a kicker at the exit that has caught others as well. He banged his head pretty good and said he lost some of his sense of taste and smell.
At PPI we used to get to go to Mexico and do week long pre runs and stay the week of the race. Cal Sr and I would always end up in a chase truck and we became good Mexico pre run chase buddies. Our joke was he could sit over there and smoke like a chimney and I could break wind from all the good Mexican food we would eat and he would never know because of his lack of smell! I have been all over Baja with him in the truck.

We found a dead dog with its leg wired to the fence on some old dirt road in Ojos and we would go by and he would say STAY! He would laugh in his deep scratchy voice and when we went back the dog was still there every time!

Wayne_Nosala

RDC Crypto
Website
Nosala.com
RIP, Cal was a genius. I also had a chance to chat with him back in the
old days working for the Toyota efforts. He made winners out of innovation
and positive ideas.

arqangel67

RDC Crypto
Never had the pleasure of meeting the man but surely know of his Legacy. A true pioneer, he was, not many of those around anymore. Rest in Peace, Cal.