• Forum membership has its advantages....

VEGAS TO RENO costs too much

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Can someone please tell me why does the bitd charge $325 in land use fees for the Vegas to Reno race . I called the blm and they said that they only charge 4% of the total entry fee . Even when you charge a excessive amount, $1125 like the bitd does it’s only $45 . What does the other $280 go to , the get rich off of us plan? For the amount that bitd is charging for land use fees you can race an mdr or whiplash race.

Jack

Re: VEGAS TO RENO costs to much

I think in those long races, especialy Vegas to Reno, they cross alot of private land. Maybe it is payoff money for them and it might also go to any police or other agencies for crossing suport also RR crossing, I know they also have medical suport with at least one helicopter, I'm not sure where that cost fits in.

Jimmy8

If you have ever met Casey Folks, you think twice before saying get rich. He is not rich, and in fact I think he is just getting by. You probably make more than him. I have been to just about every BITD race in the last 3 years, and at every race Casey buys us dinner at least once. Not because we ask or were invited out to dinner by him, in fact we have never been invited out by him. I have been in restaurants where he has picked up the tab for all of the race teams in the place. Not because he wanted to look good, but because he says he knows how hard it is to go racing on a limited budget and every dime he can help us save he will help. In fact last year at the 2000, we did not have enough money to go, and he said he would wave $1000 dollars of our entry fee if it would mean the difference in us racing or not. Casey folks is a class act, and another thing I can say about him is that he knows the name of every person in every pit crew and everyone who has ever been to his races. he makes it a point to know the people who support his organization. Casey is one hell of a guy, and if you have never spent any time with him you would think the same, so I suggest you know a little more about someone before passing judgement. He just loves the sport of racing and wants to see it grow. As far as the entry fee, normally they are less than SCORE, with this race being the exception. This race is higher due to the abundance of land it cuts through. I mean if you cut through that much land in Mexico you dont pay anything, but in the USA you do. Look at the races SCORE runs in the US. They are all loop races, not theat much land is crossed. As far as the entry fees, I dont see anyone complaining that actually runs the races. BITD has a better payback and contingency than any other organization, and the people paying the entry fee love to have the chance at it. You wanna know why Casey doesnt run 9 cars. Not because he doesnt like them, it is because he knows he cant pay them very well, and would rather have them go somewhere else where they can get paid. I could go on all day, and BITD is not the only organization I support, but I think a lot of people dont know Casey, and just pass judgement on him without ever sitting down to get to know him.

grt

Checkers *********

Jimmy8 has it right. I've known Casey for quite a while and he thinks like a racer not a promoter. Land use fees go to the BLM and the various owners of private land which we must cross to get from Vegas to Reno. Obviously someone doesn't remember the land use fees we had to pay HDRA for the Frontier 500!

grt

rdc

Grt I did race in the frontier 500 back in 85 . And there was no way the entry fee was over $700 . It’s been 16 years but I think the entry was $500 bucks and insurance was $95 and the land use was $75 . I will have to ask edna lott to make sure . And jimmy score costs more than bitd’s other races. But you get what you pay for score has laughlin , primm and baja . Bitd has tonopah , the Indian reservation and pahrump . After laughlin those places look like crap . If you guys don’t think that the bitd makes money at $700 per car, I got some swamp land in Florida to sell you

Jimmy8

Baja, well BITD has that now. The 1000, well BITD has that. Primm, well BITD has a Vegas race as well. Laughlin, well an 11 mile course that is so chewed up it looks like the jeep trail at the Parker 400. No big loss. Oh, does SCORE have the TT 250. Nope. Did you see the entries at the race this year. 11 class 8's. Close to 10 TT's. Over 20 class 1's. And a bigger purse than SCORE has ever seen. Oh yeah, if BITD is that bad why do the PROTRUCKS all have their races BITD instead of SCORE. HMMM, I guess BITD isnt that bad afterall, not to mention if you drive a Ford. Please fill out your profile too. I am not saying that BITD is the best, but I hate it when people talk @#%$ about Casey and the organization and dont even know him or have ever run one of his races. Please take your car and run one of his races and spend some time talking to the man before you go and talk about him. Most of the stuff people hear and say about BITD is all second hand anyways, never straight from the horses mouth.

grt

Checkers *********

Well, it's all relative. $700 in 85 is $2000 today so you are actually getting a deal. Also, the route Casey travels goes over more private land then Walt's route so maybe he has to pay more people but it's for certain he has to pay people more!

And I never said that he doesn't make money. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, I'm don't have access to his books. What I meant to point out was that he doesn't rip us off.

No one likes to pay high entry fees but racing at MDR is not an option for us. We have a big investment in our team and the few extra dollars it might cost to run a quality series is a good investment. Sal runs a decent race but has pissed off every manufacturer in the country with his greed. As a result, if trucks are what you race and recognition for your sponsor is what you want, you race the BitD series and the Baja 1000. If you're into buggies, then I suppose that Score and MDR are a better place to be because you don't have the same concerns! As a long time Checker, I raced Buggies for years and it was great fun.

Think of it this way; if you had stayed home in 85 and put your $700 in Dell Computer, you would have enough money today to run a very well funded Trophy Truck program!

Jahahahahahaha

grt

rdc

Jimmy from what I see if you want recognition for your sponsor the place to race is score . In Vegas the score points are in the paper once a month and before and after every race there are good articles about drivers and sponsors . One reason for this is that score works with Nevada on the dates of the two score races . I have never saw anything about any bitd race in a Vegas paper other than the death in goldfeild . The reason for the no press deal in Vegas is because bitd put the terrible race on the same weekend as the nhra gambler nationals . Like Casey you might say who cares . As you now good press is hard to come by in off road . And if you put your off road event on a bigger motor sports event ,like the 3 day nhra that had 60,000 + there and national TV , you get no press . You probably know that the baja 1000 is the 2nd most recognized name in off road . If you tell someone you race off road they ask if you race the baja 1000 . You can’t beat name recognition . You can tell you race trucks with your talk that laughlin was to rough . I raced a buggy and it got beat up but that’s why I race off road and not the pavement , it separates the men from the boys . And did you see all the spectators in laughlin , there was more there that at all the bitd races combined . Laughlin is one of the best places in off road to showcase your team to a sponsor surely not tonopah or in the middle of the jean dry lake or even pahrump . The only event that bitd has that is half of a score race is the Vegas to Reno . Casey knows it and he going to get paid for it . I have even helped work check point at a bitd races but when we were told to stop a racer who changed a tire at a road xing and tell him he was DQ I was done with Casey . I checked in to your run on privet land story And the ely blm said that at the 2000 last year there was a big bill for running on virgin land , and it had to be reseaded . The Vegas blm said that he runs some privet land but not much but they did say that bitd had to pay $10,000 in land recovery fees for the Indian race last year when they ran on all the virgin desert. And the Indians are still pissed off about tacking a blade across there land . The blm in Vegas even said that the bitd had asked if they could blade some of the score course in the jean dry lake area because it is to rough on there tucks . Bitd is one of the best promoters of motorcycles they should stick with that .gtr why would I want to race a tt against 5 trucks . As a checker you know competition is were it’s at and when you race against 25 + buggy's that’s racing .

grt

Checkers *********

It's clear that you have some sort of ax to grind with Casey and/or BitD so this discussion, if you could call it that, is pointless. I view the glass as half full and you see it as half empty. If you don't like BitD, I can respect that and you don't need to support them by running their races. Run with Score or MDR or SNORE, which is where the best buggy racing is, anyway! After all, you are a "vegasracer".

Why whine about the details of a race you are not even going to compete in. If you want to bitch about entry fees, go for the big ones like Paris/Dakar which costs 100 Grand to enter. I know the costs because we raced there in 1996 and finished both of our trucks. As a race organization, they really do stuff that will piss you off.

I have raced a lot of different classes with a lot of different sanctioning bodies and promoters and I like what BitD is doing and support their efforts in spite of the fact that they, like all the others, are something less than perfect.

If you don't like what is going on with off-road racing or with BitD, do something constructive to change it for the better. Don't sit anonymously behind your computer and complain about it.

grt

Jimmy8

Right on GRT. Enough said.

rdc

Grt I just tell it like it is , are you and jimmy8 attached at the hip

Junior

Vegasracer is talkin' smack without any info in his profile. Come on........Sack up!

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Jimmy8

Come on, own up to who you are, everyone else in this thread has.

pjc

Chairman

Hello Vegasracer,

I think the BLM contact you spoke to is pulling your leg!

1) They "BLM" have no clue of the promoter's fee structure so they cannot comment on "percentages".
2) As far as I know, the "land use fee" covers fees to any government agency to include a percentage to the local sheriff etc.
3) 0ften the same fee is used by the BLM for race course remediation (sic), such as grading of roads etc. Consider that local ranchers use some of these roads. The BLM returns the once rutted out race course back to something that is relatively passable for a regular pickup truck, even in bad weather.

Cheers

PJCinLV

JenDiggityDirt

Now, now boys...remember we're one big HAAAAAAPPY RDC family. Play nice!

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

Jimmy8

I would just like to see some profiles, but I guess they will be mandatory here pretty quick, sorry if this got out of hand.

JenDiggityDirt

I agree...it drives me nuts not to know who people are! For example, who is this HTTP404 person???

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

rdc

Pjc the blm charges 4% of the total entry fee . At $1,125 that comes out to $45 an entry . Not $175 or $150 or even $325 that is being charged .

LB MotorSports

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm new. The fees are so large because he runs over large amounts of private land, and there are several road crossing that the NHP must be at. Also some races he lets us run through the public streets. I can't remember what the city is, but its great. Casey is a great guy and does just slim by.

Big_Rich

As a Promoter who runs races in Northern Nevada. I can tell you that they "BLM" are requiring us to tractor grade miles of each course. Casey told me that they had
to regrade something like 500 plus miles last year. That is alot of tractor grading, time and money, I'm sure casey does not have as much time as me to ride the course and regrade it himself. Our costs at VORRA will likely go up next year for the same reason. BLM is requiring me to tractor grade about 25 miles of 60 on our Yerington course.

Rich Klein
VORRA