Vegas to Reno - How bad is it?

AZOffroad

A friend and I are going to attempt the Vegas to Reno race. We will be running in the Sportsman class.

Is this race really as bad as everyone says it is? :eek:

How about some pointers and what to look out for? :D

OldGreen

Silt, rocks, silt and silt.

JB-13

BAD?! I can't see how three whole days of racing could be a bad thing. Granted I'm only chasing, paved roads will be a little better than the above mentioned but I still cannot wait for V2R! I guess my excitement is out weighing the endless list of things that could go wrong, I suggest you do the same

Forty1Racing

It can get pretty crazy, between the elevation changes and such. you see a vast desert terrain rocks, SILT!, silt, silt, and some other less vicious dirt.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
It can get pretty crazy, between the elevation changes and such. you see a vast desert terrain rocks, SILT!, silt, silt, and some other less vicious dirt.
probably outta mention more silt....:cool:

Wahl_7s

Did anybody mention silt!Last year left I think pit 6 100 yards out hit a silt pit buried the truck to the rocker panels. Luckily we were close we were able (with the help of GG)to pull them out quickly and didnt loose much time

jerseydevil

Oh yea, last year I didn't put filters on my fuel tank vent hoses and for some reason we ended up with silt in the fuel filters, maybe it was the silt? To be honest the race was fun the pre-run sucked butt. it seemed like after the first 60 miles guys get spread out and you have some fun, the scary thing this year is that any big dog who has considerable down time on day 1 is going to run your ass over on day 2.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Don't forget the silt.:D

Make sure your chase crews DO NOT SPEED!! In 2004 when we did it, we got a flat on a chase truck (actually a few) and a highway patrolman stopped when we were changing it. He told us not to speed because the race led to the most traffic he gets all year. When we stopped to gas up the chase truck we ran into yet another patrolman and he told us the same thing.

OldGreen

You cannot chase on the course. BITD has tow vehicles on course (thanks Donald :)) to pull you to a pit so you can get back in the race.

Wahl_7s

Make sure your chase crews DO NOT SPEED!! In 2004 when we did it, we got a flat on a chase truck (actually a few) and a highway patrolman stopped when we were changing it. He told us not to speed because the race led to the most traffic he gets all year. When we stopped to gas up the chase truck we ran into yet another patrolman and he told us the same thing.
Ya i got a ticket in Beatty 2 years ago driving through town the speed limit is 25.I got a ticket for doing 35

FullsizeFun

Definitely not a good first race if thats what you are asking. You need to have a damn good crew to help you out too. We were going to do it on bikes this year but as it got closer we realized we were not gonna have all of the support and preparation we needed to pull it off.
Any point-to-point race is thougher than a loop race, not to mention 3 days in a row.
Oh yeah, dont forget about the SILT. Air filters need to be changed a couple times each day.

Really only one short stretch on the way up the hill to the pass down to Dayton that's REALLY rocky. But by then you will not only be feeling every rock, you'll be naming quite a few.

And don't let your chase guys pull onto the shoulder to watch you pass, either. NHP frowns on that almost as much as speeding.

Laurie

You cannot chase on the course. BITD has tow vehicles on course (thanks Donald :)) to pull you to a pit so you can get back in the race.
Thanks. We're chasing for a friend and I want to learn as much as I can before we start.

sloride

Last year one of our chase crew got pulled over twice....................by the same Highway Patrolman!

AZOffroad

It's not our first race but it will be our first point to point race.....

Got the prep covered....

Ok....Silt alot of Silt....got that. Crap!!!!!

Got the good chase crew covered.

Let your chase crew know not to speed or stop on the shoulder.

ALOT of spare air filters...spare fuel vent filters.

Rocky sections.....ok. BFG's don't fail me now!!!

I was told that there are rocks the size of cars hiding under the silt.....is that true?

Which day do you think will be the roughest part of the course?

TCRAFT

Its tough but the Baja 500 is much tougher if you did that VtR you should be okay for you.

AZOffroad

Nope...didn't do the Baja 500....Did the Rocky Point 300 race in May. Don't think that compares to V2R though. Did have silt, sand, rocks and some huge G-outs but I doubt anything close to what I'm hearing about the NV desert.