• Forum membership has its advantages....

Vegas to Reno @@ PHOTOS @@

bobylax

Well guys and gals, Vegas to reno continues to be my nemesis. Last year, 1 week after my cancer diagnosis, I decided to man up and not let this disease keep me from one of my favorite races. V2R kicked my ass!! This year, with my cancer in check, was looking forward to another great race. As my luck would have it, Wed. night I started to come down with a cold. Wasn't going to let that slow me down. Thursday night had a fever of 102 and was ready to pack up and head for the barn, but decided to take a couple Tylenol and see how I felt in the morning. Fever broke, didn't feel too bad, figured I had to give this bad boy of a race another go, as long as I didn't cough up a lung. Got to our check point at mile 24 and found they made our spot a stop check, not a high speed corner like 5 years ago when we were there. So photos aren't real exciting. Just as the last of the 6100 trucks came by, we noticed smoke about a mile up course, a BITD official and a couple of local guys headed that way. I told the official I had a 25lb. extinguisher, and he said bring it. Got to within 100 yards of what turned out to be a very small brush fire, and buried my truck in some very soft terrain. (2500 Dodge Ram running 65/80 lbs. of tire pressure) I tried to run over to the guys that were shoveling dirt onto the fire with my extinguisher, when my chest cold caught up to me. My lovely wife hauled that 25 pounder the rest of the way and it helped in getting the fire knocked down. I proceeded to go back and figure out how to extricate myself and concluded that dropping the front tire pressures was a start. Took the fronts down to 18 lbs. and that did the trick. By the time we got back to our check point, there were only a few of the tail end UTV's, and I was spent! So I didn't get to shoot many of the limited guys. BTW, did you know that between our check point and Las Vegas, there is only one gas station that has a working air pump and that was in Beatty. $7.50 in quarters later and because of the heat, the most I could get was 35 lbs. in either tire. My 12 volt pump took a dump right off the bat. So limped back into Vegas got the tire back up to the required 65, spent a couple days with my brother who just moved to Vegas, and headed home. Shout out to LJ and the 2 locals that got that fire knocked down so quick, they did a lot of shoveling!! Here's a few of what I got.
DSCN1534.JPG
DSCN1550.JPG
DSCN1576.JPG
DSCN1652.JPG
DSCN1930.JPG
DSCN1942.JPG
DSCN1945.JPG
DSCN1950.JPG
DSCN1954.JPG
DSCN1972.JPG
DSCN1992.JPG
DSCN2046.JPG
DSCN2194.JPG
DSCN2201.JPG

geno760

Seems like we all end up with a race/chase story like that. Glad you made it back, now time to rest up.

trailready

Glad you made it . Did you get one of the #99?

J Prich

Sorry to hear about the tough weekend. As hot as it was, I'm sure all of that running around, digging out, etc was even more brutal.

And I'd love to see Brock's GoPro, lol. That looks like a lot of action for just 24 miles!

bobylax

Sorry to hear about the tough weekend. As hot as it was, I'm sure all of that running around, digging out, etc was even more brutal.

And I'd love to see Brock's GoPro, lol. That looks like a lot of action for just 24 miles!
Thanks Jason.

NRT_Chris

Looking for pics of the 1719 Red Jeepspeed if you got one.. Thanks

bobylax

Unfortunately, I missed the Jeepspeeds.

bobylax

Any of 6122?
As luck would have it, I sat the camera down to grab something out of the cooler when you came by. I grabbed the camera and made a quick snap shot as you passed, and only got this. Have been following your story from fire to finish. Congrats on taking it to Dayton!
DSCN2155.JPG