Vegas to Reno pit question

TPayne

I am racing V2R on a bike this year with a partner, we are both pretty quick on the bike. We are splitting it up into 3 stints each. My last stint is from pit 10 to pit 12 which is 68 race miles, chase pit to pit milage is 60. Will the chase truck be able to beat the bike? I'm not sure what the race course is like vs what the highway is like. We both race a lot of local D37 stuff, but this will be our first go at a race like this. Thanks!

MTPyle

My friend ran in bikes last years at V2R with one chase vehicle and they had to absolutely fly to get to the pits on time. They had to break the speed limit a lot and by a lot. They said that was the craziest chase they had ever done.

If you have a problem with a chase vehicle or an accident on the road that causes a delay you are screwed.

Sounds like you will need to hit 6 pit stops. I am worried about our fuel truck making it to only 3 on time and 6100 trucks are slower than bikes.

I would try to get another chase vehicle just in case. But maybe other bike teams with more experience can chime in. Baja pits will be supporting this years V2R so you could get with them for a few of the pits to make things less crazy.

Mike

TPayne

We have 2 chase trucks and will be using baja pits for fueling so thats not an issue, my only concern is getting from pit 10 to pit 12 before the bike. I dont know if thats a fast section, or faster rather since the whole course is fast.

T.martin

Depends on the course. If it's similar to 2018, I wouldn't risk it. Pit 12 is off of Old State Route 839 and your chase truck won't be able to go as fast. The problem with the north part of the course is that the main roads run north to south and the course goes east to west. I'd skip Pit 11 or 12 and rely on Baja pits.

frozenh2o

You'll be fine, with the 68 race miles, vs. 60 chase miles, figure 50 mph for the bike and 60 mph for the chase, you'll have 20 minutes to spare. I'm thinking you can make it 68 miles without fuel and will be skipping pit 11. If you'll be stopping at pit 11 you'll have even more time to spare. Don't consider sending your chase truck to pit 11, let Baja Pits do the splash and go if you can't make the 68 miles. We plan on switching riders at 10 and 12.

Last edited:

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I am racing V2R on a bike this year with a partner, we are both pretty quick on the bike. We are splitting it up into 3 stints each. My last stint is from pit 10 to pit 12 which is 68 race miles, chase pit to pit milage is 60. Will the chase truck be able to beat the bike? I'm not sure what the race course is like vs what the highway is like. We both race a lot of local D37 stuff, but this will be our first go at a race like this. Thanks!
It is questionable at best. I am a part time resident up here in that area. The road out of the Hawthorne pit is slow to the outskirts of Hawthorne. You also have limited speed through Walker Lake and Schurz. The passing availability will be very limited for chase vehicles going around the Lake. On a bike this section will be fast so it will be very tight.

dhjeepgeek

Don't count on getting anywhere with 20 minutes to spare. give your self an hour at least. Chit happens. Better to wait than be late.

BajaboundMoto

It all depends on how fast you are. Oh, and NDOT messing up the highways ;-)
You guys are running amature class, that's easier to chase than most Pros.
We have a bike in your same class, we'll be using Baja Pits and 1 chase truck, we'll also likely change riders at 10 & 12, I try to never speed when chasing, and I'm not worried about making it at all.
Just when your bike is out of the pit you need to be rolling right away, no lolli-gagging (except for that time the crystal fiends left the kittens in a box at the Mina pit and we decided to take them, but that's another story...).
We take the truck into most pits. We don't do #1 (if it's the usual Beatty start), Tonopah weather it's before town on left or at town on right, Rawhide of course, and the last pit. All this is assuming its not going thru Gabbs again this year, I haven't looked at any race info yet.
I worry more about the pits before/at/after Tonopah. We almost never take the truck into Tonopah pits. We usually stop for truck fuel at Tonopah and with the low speed limit at Tonopah it tightens things up and is stressful (when the speed limit sign says 25, go 20).
You are using BP and have 2 trucks. IMO that's overkill. I mean, you don't need to split-up trucks to get ahead and set up a pit, so you're together because of it being 2 riders. Know what I mean? Benefit of 2 trucks is 1 gets a flat the other keeps going with the rider. I changed a flat on the truck 2 days ago in Mina, that sucked...

Last edited:

TPayne

It all depends on how fast you are. Oh, and NDOT messing up the highways ;-)
You guys are running amature class, that's easier to chase than most Pros.
We have a bike in your same class, we'll be using Baja Pits and 1 chase truck, we'll also likely change riders at 10 & 12, I try to never speed when chasing, and I'm not worried about making it at all.
Just when your bike is out of the pit you need to be rolling right away, no lolli-gagging (except for that time the crystal fiends left the kittens in a box at the Mina pit and we decided to take them, but that's another story...).
We take the truck into most pits. We don't do #1 (if it's the usual Beatty start), Tonopah weather it's before town on left or at town on right, Rawhide of course, and the last pit. All this is assuming its not going thru Gabbs again this year, I haven't looked at any race info yet.
I worry more about the pits before/at/after Tonopah. We almost never take the truck into Tonopah pits. We usually stop for truck fuel at Tonopah and with the low speed limit at Tonopah it tightens things up and is stressful (when the speed limit sign says 25, go 20).
You are using BP and have 2 trucks. IMO that's overkill. I mean, you don't need to split-up trucks to get ahead and set up a pit, so you're together because of it being 2 riders. Know what I mean? Benefit of 2 trucks is 1 gets a flat the other keeps going with the rider. I changed a flat on the truck 2 days ago in Mina, that sucked...
We are using baja pits because it takes all the stress away from our chase guys. Also using two trucks due to the amount of people going we won't all fit in one truck. We shouldn't need to fuel at 11 but might take a splash just in case since we are dry break its not much time. I just dont want to pull into pit 12 and have to wait for them (mainly because I won't wait lol). We were trying to have the last stint be relatively short due to the last 20 miles.

One-Eyed Peter

We are using baja pits because it takes all the stress away from our chase guys. Also using two trucks due to the amount of people going we won't all fit in one truck. We shouldn't need to fuel at 11 but might take a splash just in case since we are dry break its not much time. I just dont want to pull into pit 12 and have to wait for them (mainly because I won't wait lol). We were trying to have the last stint be relatively short due to the last 20 miles.
Honest question: What happens in the last 20 miles? I've never been to V2R. I'm asking because I think I'm driving the last stint on my team.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Honest question: What happens in the last 20 miles? I've never been to V2R. I'm asking because I think I'm driving the last stint on my team.
In years past, the last section from the top of the mountain into Dayton is by far the most challenging, rocky, pain in the ass, jiggle your teeth loose section of the event.

TPayne

After looking at things we are going to forgo the 10-12 and do 9-12 to give us some more breathing room. Thanks for the help guys!

johndjmix

For the trophylite, we had 2 chase trucks last year...there was only one pit we had to separate for. If you really need to save $ you could do it with one chase truck...with propper planning, and maybe have baja pits at that one pit.

--John

ScottyA

After looking at things we are going to forgo the 10-12 and do 9-12 to give us some more breathing room. Thanks for the help guys!
you know your riders best but another maybe better option is 10-13. 12-13 is super easy for the guy that got on at 10 then the guy getting on for the last 46 mike is super fresh.. have a look . 10 to 12 is very close on time. any hicup and your screwed