Vegas to Reno

MaxPowers37

Reaction
Trying to plan a trip to go see this race. Anyone know what dates I should get there? Says the race is Aug11th-15th. Isn't there some type of car show with all the race vehicles before the race?

Slippery P

Reaction
Well, this year will be Reno to Vegas so plan accordingly...

cynicwanderer

Reaction
the race typically starts friday morning. motorcycles/quads usually start around 5-6am and trophhy trucks usually around 10am. it takes the fastest motorcycle and trophy trucks around 9-10hours to complete, the rest of the vehicles will trickle in over the next 10-12 hours... so, saturday morning latest. this year it will be reno to vegas, so details will be different.

generally, there is tech inspection the day before the race at the event hotel parking lot, where all the vehicles have to go through a line to get the vehicle and gear inspected. it takes most of the day. there are vendor booths, food truck, etc... although with COVID this is all very limited compared to normal years. the actual race start and finish are outside of town. not sure this year, but I suspect the start will be in Dayton, NV and the finish somewhere outside of Beatty, NV.

they will post a map when it gets closer to the race, and the GPS tracks 7 days before the race. I have never spectated the race, so not sure what good spots are. certainly, the pits can be interesting, also the silt beds and some of the areas around tonopah. they don't want you to stop on the side of the highway to spectate.

J Prich

Reaction
Keep in mind that the race happens in mid August in the desert so, anything north of Tonopah is better.

MaxPowers37

Reaction
Thanks guys. never been to a desert race. Looks like a good time though. We have lots of short course in the midwest here.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Thanks guys. never been to a desert race. Looks like a good time though. We have lots of short course in the midwest here.
it's a long enough race that you could drive pit to pit on the highway for most of the pits and keep up with the race. there is usually one remote pit that is too far off the main road to do. I would pick a few teams to follow, so it makes it exciting to keep up with them. they will release the pit locations a few weeks before the race, to plan.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Isn't that the old airstrip where the old rental companion of the evening used to be? WtF would that be BLM's choice for a start or a finish there except to punish racers? What's up with the folks in Beatty?

RacingTraX

Reaction
Website
racingtrax.com
Trying to plan a trip to go see this race. Anyone know what dates I should get there? Says the race is Aug11th-15th. Isn't there some type of car show with all the race vehicles before the race?
Hey RacingTraX is always looking for good people to hire to work the event putting on off-road trackers 😁.
I can promise you will be underpaid and overworked, it’s a great time. DM me if you are interested.

AngryShawn

Reaction
Website
www.barnstormerracing.com
Isn't that the old airstrip where the old rental companion of the evening used to be? WtF would that be BLM's choice for a start or a finish there except to punish racers? What's up with the folks in Beatty?
You are thinking of what is traditionally pit 3, cottontail.
Bonnie Claire is traditionally pit 2, right after the dry lake.

johndjmix

Reaction
Wonder if next year BITD will go back and attempt V2R backwards? I was excited to hear it happening.

—john

gsuty17

Reaction
Anybody have any information on this race? Specifically the finish? I am thinking of heading down to watch the finish, if spectators are welcome, but can't find any info on it other than it finishes in Dayton. I see the afterparty is at the Nugget, but I want to watch some trucks going fast in the desert.

J Prich

Reaction
Anybody have any information on this race? Specifically the finish? I am thinking of heading down to watch the finish, if spectators are welcome, but can't find any info on it other than it finishes in Dayton. I see the afterparty is at the Nugget, but I want to watch some trucks going fast in the desert.
The finish probably isn't really the best spot to see trucks going fast in the desert. You're better off heading south of Reno a bit and finding a spot where you can sit and enjoy the show. The last handful of miles are slow and technical and the finish doesn't afford much in the way of good spectating. If you google the course map from last year you'll probably be pretty close to whatever this year will look like, for planning purposes.

MAC56

Reaction
After the last pit and after the last paved road crossing usually has spots west of the highway people watch from. Do not take down anything at all to find a place ( signs, fences, gates, caution tape etc. ) Do not stop along the highway as that can cause the race to be stopped. never drive on the marked course at all race day as bikes are way before the cars and trucks. I know this as I have Raced and been an official when not racing.

johndjmix

Reaction
"never drive on the marked course at all race day" <--- Race vehicles have the right of way, DO NOT drive on the course. This can cause bad, bad situations.

--John

MTPyle

Reaction
Got a call today from BITD asking about V2R. They were calling all 6100 trucks to see if they are racing or if not why.

Great that they are taking the time to reach out. Makes me wonder why? I think they know there are some issues with the class and they want to try and fix it.

Anyway it was interesting. I have not signed up yet for V2R as we still have a lot of work to do on the truck and with sponsor changes we may have some budget issues. With all the money into the recent truck changes and some prices going way up its for sure more challenging. Going to do our best to make the race but it’s uncertain at this time.

Mike