Vegas to Reno

Jammminjay

Reaction
ONXoffroad.jpg

Recently we wrote an article about how we used OnX Offroad to tell Stories at the King of the Hammers. A big part of that was planning on the desktop before we went out on assignment. And we loved it.

Vegas to Reno is coming up and BITD just recently released their pit books and waypoints for each pit. So we thought we would do you a solid and create KML file with each pit location. These are just waypoints based on the GPS Coordinates given.

Get ahead and start planning your race today. Don't wait last minute.

Upload the KML file to OnX Offroad via desktop and try for free. Once you upload the content it will automatically sync with OnX app on your phone.

Attachments

• VEGASTORENO_PIT_LOCATIONS.kml
    3.7 KB · Views: 0

MTPyle

Reaction
Our truck has been at Westech for weeks (not that they have been working on it for weeks) but trying to figure out our engine problems. We have eliminated a ton of stuff and now down to the ECM. It’s almost never the ECM but we can’t find anything else wrong.

if the new ECM fixes it we have a chance of getting it done before V2R. If it’s not the problem then who knows when we will get it done.

So send good vibes that we have it fixed soon.

we think that when we put in the new fuel pump
Controllers the guys welded right next to the ECM and that could have caused the issues. If that’s the case we have just learned another expensive lesson.

We did just get a new air jack from ID designs. Can’t wait to test it out.

Mike

Attachments

• B2D24EBD-EB82-4CC2-9896-B43D0FCA30CA.jpeg
    B2D24EBD-EB82-4CC2-9896-B43D0FCA30CA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A0571E78-7BF3-4FE0-8AE1-53D2ADB495D3.jpeg
    A0571E78-7BF3-4FE0-8AE1-53D2ADB495D3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Our truck has been at Westech for weeks (not that they have been working on it for weeks) but trying to figure out our engine problems. We have eliminated a ton of stuff and now down to the ECM. It’s almost never the ECM but we can’t find anything else wrong.

if the new ECM fixes it we have a chance of getting it done before V2R. If it’s not the problem then who knows when we will get it done.

Controllers the guys welded right next to the ECM and that could have caused the issues. If that’s the case we have just learned another expensive lesson.

Mike
yeah, welding on a car/truck with ECM is a big no-no. you have to at least disconnect the chassis ground from electronics, or disconnect/remove ECM all together. Also, I'm surprised that people don't have a spare ECMs, major sensors (like TPI,MAF,CrankPosition), etc... since those seem to be single points of failure.

Viola1685

Reaction

Mike

not to get off topic but anytime we weld on our class 10 we unplug the ecm and where it’s mounted it can’t be contacted by the pulse of the welder. Heard too many expensive horror stories about welding on cars without doing that and causes all kinds of issues

MTPyle

Reaction
Cynic,

We had back up ECM for our original set up but we changed to a different ECM and harness, the pinout is different and we never got a backup for the new version. We do however have all sensors on the chase truck. And a complete engine as a back up for other parts. So thats why its most likely our newer version of ECM that failed, because its the only part we didn't have a back up of.

And yes welding on the chassis next to the ECM is a rookie move. Just when I think our team cant learn any more rookie lessons we find a new one. But our new prep guy knows way more than we do so I think our rookie mistakes are behind us.

And before anyone says anything about using a different ECM than came with the crate motor you can just stop it. We got approval from Turnkey to use a VIN Camero LT1 ECM because there were some things we needed to change to make the LT1 work in the race truck that the crate engine ECM would not do. it says in the rules that harness and ECM should be the ones that come with the crate engine from GM. But for the new LT1 we had to use VIN ECM.

Mike

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Cynic,

We had back up ECM for our original set up but we changed to a different ECM and harness, the pinout is different and we never got a backup for the new version. We do however have all sensors on the chase truck. And a complete engine as a back up for other parts. So thats why its most likely our newer version of ECM that failed, because its the only part we didn't have a back up of.

And yes welding on the chassis next to the ECM is a rookie move. Just when I think our team cant learn any more rookie lessons we find a new one. But our new prep guy knows way more than we do so I think our rookie mistakes are behind us.

And before anyone says anything about using a different ECM than came with the crate motor you can just stop it. We got approval from Turnkey to use a VIN Camero LT1 ECM because there were some things we needed to change to make the LT1 work in the race truck that the crate engine ECM would not do. it says in the rules that harness and ECM should be the ones that come with the crate engine from GM. But for the new LT1 we had to use VIN ECM.

Mike
lol... bring spares and those items won't fail, ever... muprhy's law !

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Well we got the truck running today, seems it was the ECM. Now the mad dash to get the new fuel cell in and the new jacks set up. Plenty of time.

This is what the fuel cell looks like right now. what is wrong with us?

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Why are you swapping the fuel cell now? Why not wait until you confirm the ECU was it before changing another piece of the puzzle?

MTPyle

Reaction
Our fuel cell was expired and we started that project months ago. Just took that long to get Harmon to finish it. We could not race again with the old cell.

We didn't think the engine was going to be a big deal. we thought it was a simple sensor issue. But it ended up being much more difficult to troubleshoot.

Now that the engine is all good we can focus on getting the the new cell installed. We are using the same fuel pumps and pickups that we ran in the last race which worked perfect. So really not a huge risk or change. But we changed the spare tire mounts and jack mounts. so that could bite us if we don't fully test it.

We still may not be able to pull off V2R but we will give her hell. The plan for V2R is to have Connor (24) qualify and run the first half to see how it does against the field. Then have Carson (18) race the second half to get seat time to prepare for B1K. So we do not have expectations of winning or even placing well. Just a race to get truck dialed and Carson more seat time.

Mike

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
how is that no one has uploaded the map? or its me that i miss it.

it does look like they have been changing the course instead of racing the same one every year

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 17-02-10 2021-V-toR-Pit-Book v2 pdf.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 17-02-10 2021-V-toR-Pit-Book v2 pdf.png
    676.9 KB · Views: 0

johndjmix

Reaction
Anyone else notice that there are 3 three wheelers, like ATC’s aka trikes, entered!

I’m excited of course to race and hopefully finally get the win in the Trophylite (2nd place last 2 years due to me getting sick!) but I’m almost as excited to see the 3 wheelers run!!!

—john

johndjmix

Reaction
With a good rider the 3 wheeler will blow away the quads.

I remember when I had a banshee. A stock 250R 3 wheeler would destroy me every time. And it was totally stock down to the stock exhaust! After spending thousands and doing every mod I could just barley beat the guy.

Of course there’s a lot of more power in desert racing, but the suspension over whoops also is so much better over whoops.

It will be crazy to see if one of the 3 wheelers can beat the quad times.

—john

ICS Service

Reaction
Does anyone know-? Last time I ran this, I think in 2019, there were two radio frequencies being used by BITD- One for the South end of the course, and one for the North end for BITD[I thought]. Does anyone know what radio freqs are going to be used this year.
Jon
@icsrace