Vehicle Registration

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
How would one go about registering a vehicle that they just bought from out of state? Do you send in the reg to dmv first or go get a smog first? Will they send you to a smog ref station since it is from out of state? Please advise.

Kbach66

Reaction
How about registering a newly built "prerunner/playtruck"?
I'm building a full tube chassis playtruck, and have the title from the 95 Cab that I bought. I'm looking to avoid the smog issue, so I don't really want to register it as a 95. What would be better....to buy an old 68-72 Chevy truck for a couple hundred and use the title and vin plate, or to register the truck as a "special construction" vehicle and hope they judge the smog on the year of the motor (an older small block chevy block).

Anybody had any luck with either way....or had problems? Thanks in advance!

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Kevin,

Go with the old title/ VIN #. Its less of a hassle, and they won't eve blink twice about it.

-Gabe

BradM

Reaction
Kevin - From what I have heard, if you register a vehicle as a special construction they make you comply with all current standards for the year that it is registered. I know of a friend who went through this ordeal with a kit cobra. He was forced to make it comply with all lighting standards, safety standards, and emissions regulations of the current year that he applied for title. If you use a title from an older truck and you ever get stopped, you could open up much bigger problems with a fraud case. You might be able to argue that the truck started out life as a pre 72 truck and you made some change but that could be touchy depending on the cop.

John - If it is a vehicle that is currently registered in another state, it should be easy. They most likely will require an inspection to verify the VIN but that does not have to be done by the DMV. They often refer such inspections to the CHP as they have a VIN verification officer at each office. However, from my experience, it can be completed and signed by any peace officer. If you have a friend who is a law enforcement officer in any department in CA, they can do it. You can get the form online from the DMV or at any DMV office. That also applies to vehicles from CA that have been out of the system for more than 7 years I believe (it may be 5 years) or lien sale vehicles.

My suggestion is to find a small DMV office that is in a small town or area that doesn't get as much traffic. They are usually more lax and easier to deal with. In some cases, they are not totally aware of the requirements and I have had them issue tags without meeting all of the requirements.

Rodney

Reaction
John...I just did this 2 weeks ago for a corvette I bought from texas. Smog it first, then take the car and all paperwork to the DMV. They will verify the VIN on the spot, pay the fees and you are done. It is a piece of cake. As far as registering a full tube chassis...DMV has a new program designed to accomodate kit cars. The first 500 applicants PER YEAR will have a choice of either registering the vehicle to the year of the engine used OR the year the vehicle most resembles. So, if you build a 40 Ford coupe then you will only need the emissions of a 40 Ford. However, in the case of a late model truck body you would want to use a verifiable pre-74 engine block to dodge the smog. This program is new this year and they will only allow 500. Go to the DMV web site and there is a counter on how many of the 500 are left. I think once this gets a little better known, the 500 will probably be gone the first day of each year.

Winning IS everything

ntsqd

Reaction
RE: VIN verification. It was 7 years at the time I first registered the glass buggy. What BradM's and my local DMV told me some time ago was that if it ran, it had to go to the DMV for verification. If it did not, then it could be checked by member of the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over the area where it is parked. Fifteen minutes later my glass buggy's engine was sitting on the garage floor and I was making a call.....

You can get title only registration. I'd highly recomend it be done to all race vehicles. I know of a guy whose 20's era Gran Prix car came off the trailer and was lost. He did an aerial search and couldn't find it. Two weeks later some railroad workers spotted it in some bushes way down an embankment and because the VIN was tied to his name he got it back.
Don't know if you can get this with an uncomplete special construction or not. If you can, it may help in being amoung the first 500 of the year. BTW, you can register a special construction after the 500th in a given year. You just don't get to pick what year it's smogged to, the ref gets to decide.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
How do you lose a car off the trailer and not know about it until so far down the road you cant find it upon retracing the path?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

dcman008

Reaction
i have a truck that was registered ohv in 96, but hasn't been updated sence 96. how do i go about registering it for the street agin ? any input well come.

live long 91 corica

orvacian

Reaction
While we are on the subject, what does it take to get a truck smogged with a fuel cell. I see so many trucks with a cell, yet no one I have talked to has got their's smogged. I already have the stock gas cap and the vapor return line to the charcoal canister. What will it take to smog it?

ntsqd

Reaction
"How do you lose a car off the trailer and not know about it until so far down the road you cant find it upon retracing the path?"

Was lost on the stretch of 138 btwn I-5 and the top of the grade near Pinion Hills. He was towing a 2000# car on a borrowed 5000# implement trailer behind a Chevy van with no back windows. The car rolled off the trailer, across opposing traffic lane(s), down an embankment, up and over the RR tracks, and down the far embankment quite a ways. Had only minmal damage to the grille shell. To give you an idea of how long ago this was, he was driving back to the Bay area after attending a Vintage Race at Riverside.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages