VENABLE RACING

Rufrider

Reaction
What happened to them? And does anyone know if the hayhauler had fiberglass or all metal?

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
As far as I know, Jim Venable got out of racing because Ford pulled out. not only that, I think he was getting involved in politics (rumor I heard). As for the Hay hauler, it did have fiberglass front fenders, hood and step side fenders. The cab and the bed itself I think were steel. Gawd I'd love to get my hands on that truck....anyone know if the new owner wants to sell it?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Venable did get into politcs, he is the riverside county supervisor, my dad a lot of work for him back in the day, so he helps smooth out any so called "hurdles" with the county.

Rufrider

Reaction
Im buliding something similiar, but ita a 70 f-100. I was just looking for any info on it. Maybe jim would want to start building trucks again? I know...pipe dream.

martininsocal

Reaction
I believe that was Weirnemonts work(sp). Jim raced class 5 for a long time before he got the truck. Built the thing too fast and finally had to put a real fast driver in it. Changed much of the Offroad Racing world when he did. He is a County Supervisor here in Riverside County. They are just finishing up the Jim Venable Community Center and Gymnasium here next to my Fire Station. Funny thing is, he doesn't represent this area anymore, they re-wrote the district lines! He is a nice guy and has been involved with my Fire Departments Air Operations in the past. His Company also did much of the conversion work on the C-130's for firefighting a few years back. Timing took him out of racing. Not just the loss of the ford money, but the lawsuit filed by a scam artist trying get something for nothing about the same time crimped his capital and he had to protect assets and that meant letting the racing laguish until the suit was finished. He won, but the race trucks and shop were gone by then.

PLS

Reaction
If I remember right, didn't Vince Collins (from Hemet) have some seat time in the Venable truck before he put the BIG NAME racers in there? I knew some of the Venables and Vince back in the day, but I'm getting old and the memory just doesn't work as good as it used to.
Pete S.-BOYD RACING

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Martin, I'm pretty sure Jon Nelson built the 66' hay Hauler and Wiernimont built the class 8/TT Robby Gordon and then Rob MacCachren raced.

martininsocal

Reaction
Ithought it was Stan Gilbert who opened the eyes of Venable to the potential of the Hay Hauler. He popped a great finish at the Mint one year.

NicksTrix

Reaction
jon nelson built it, gilbert originally drove it, then john gable drove it at baja 500 and i think once more, then robby changed everything with our sport when he debuted in a truck at the 1000. russ later prepped it and tuned on it, got it robby proofed.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Did any body attend the sale Venable had at his shop when he was selling everything? It was pretty cool, the trophy truck was ther as well as the Ortho sponsered short course truck.Everything was for sale from the bolt bins full of stuff to machines in the shop.i remember somebody opening a print drawer full of stickers and asked if they were for sale,yeah i guess .50 a piece.I must of spent 50 dollars on stickers alone.

jimpat

Reaction
I just sold the Dana 60 rear end that was in the Hay Hauler originally to Nathan in San Diego. Had 4.56 gears and Summer spool and hubs and 40 spline axles
jim

murphco

Reaction
JIM BY FAR WAS ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE IN THE SPORT.SHANE ROBINSON AND I HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING HIM AROUND 94 OR 95.THEY WHERE TESTING THE SUPER LOW TT AT THE TIME BUT HE WOULD NOT LET US SEE IT.WE WENT THERE TO DROP OFF SOME CHRISTMAS GIFTS FROM LARRY AT TRAILER PRODUCTS,ANOTHER SUPER NICE GUY.THE SHOPS WHERE FULL LITERALLY TO THE TOP WITH TIRES AND FIBERGLASS.WE ASKED TO BUY SOME STUFF AND ENDED UP COMING OUT WITH ABOUT TEN THOUSAND BUCKS WORTH OF STUFF ONLY TO HAVE HIM SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND NOT TAKE ANY MONEY FROM US.

yotatech

Reaction
Does anybody have any pics of the hayhauler, i hear alot about it but havent found or seen any pics of it. Thanks Colin

NicksTrix

Reaction
that would have been a cool auction to go to. did things go for decent prices or was it blown out of proportion from ego bidding?
bet there where some great things to buy there.

jimpat

Reaction
i'll attach a picture of the hay hauler with Robbie driving in 1988 at the last Riverside speedway Heavvy Metal Challange.
I was driving the Rambler and he just about flew over me.
jim

Attachments

martininsocal

Reaction
Jim- do you still have the Rambler? One of my Co-Drivers has been a Rambler Freak since High School and wanted to build his 4 door up into a Class 6 car back in the '80's. Any other pics? He would be stoked to see it.

Martin