Video - 1988 Mint 400, the start in Jean (ESPN)

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
25-cent beers at Pop's Oasis!!

Just found some old videos of ESPN's Sportscenter - here's the start of the 1988 Mint in Jean. We raced this one and had a flawless race, but after three laps, they called the race due to high winds - I think they said they were getting gusts to 75mph.

I'll post more when I convert form analog to digital.

Enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dezertpilot

Reaction
x2!!!! That was awesome!

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
That was the coolest thing on R/D in along time,POPS OASIS wow memories. I had a chenwth with triple kyb gas shocks and a 1776. Kyle was 6 yrs old and man did we think we were cool.

J Prich

Reaction
I know I was there but I can't remember where we were. Was that the year RG was smokin in the stepside? The race started in Sloan a few times right? I remember one year watching the race about a mile in from the start. In fact, I pass the spot we were at right off the 15 all the time. But another year we were out in some silt just past the train underpass.

I get the years mixed up but I know at least two years there at the end they started at Sloan.

smt racing

Reaction
Wow thats cool stuff I ran that race in a challenger car and it beat the crap out me, I remember seeing Robbie in passing at the hotel...he was just a kid, Corky's class 2, Scoop Vessels, I thought those cars and trucks were the best of the best and they just couldnt get any better, good memories. Thanks for posting that, boy have things changed..crap Im old

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
Where would one buy a copy of these old race shows I still have my reel to reel to play them

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
And I got it wrong, it should be "Speed World." Number 1 of 8 (#2's above) - more on the way:

jsallenbach

Reaction
Bad-ass, im gona try to post a video from the 87 parker 400 courtsey of Venture Video. Includes Tech,Race and both california and arizona side.

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
Number 3 of 8:
[video=youtube;s-0F-J3Dy-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-0F-J3Dy-M[/video]

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
1988 Mint 400 - 4 of 8 ESPN

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Now there's a few memories.....

Every car that flipped never turned back into the roll to try and save it.......weird

Not sure on all the years but I was part of the winning Mike Leslie team in the Factory Jeep at the "dust" shortened Mint race. May have been because of wind but I can't remember the dates on any of this stuff. I remember the start/finish next to the highway and there was this massive silt bed you had to go through. I think the CHP made them call it but that could just be urban legend.

I do remember that Rob was driving for Walker and that I was driving for Mike, we were teamed up pit wise and I remember there was some hint of a chance that Walker was down and since Rob was still racing that there was a slight mention that I may get in Walkers truck.....this again could be my personal urban legend....Rob ended up breaking (I think) and got in Walkers truck and I drove the end with Mike and we won, I also believe we won the championship that year but geeezz the years are a mess in my head.

I for sure remember the jump on the pole line, don't think it is the one they are showing as we aired the one out to the point I thought I had just cost us the race!

Although I never claim it...Heidi is the only champ in the family....I did drive on a part of a championship team even though it wasn't at every race that year.

I have been talking with Mike lately and he is now a successful professional poker player. I would not be surprised to see Mike with us in the desert before too long. For those of you wondering Mike had some back issues and Curt was the teams main driver, I went on to try and win the 1600 championship (missed it by that much) and by the time there was almost a chance for me to join Curt and Mike the Jeep guys decided to ace the Comanche and in turn the desert program.

The one I won with Mike did start in Jean but I thought it was in '90 and that in 86 and 88 we won in 5-1600....man that was a long time ago, hard to believe I am only 28 today......

J Prich

Reaction
1) Did we miss out on Part 2? :) I see 1 of 8 and 3 of 8 but no 2 of 8! Just making sure you aren't holding out on us!

2) Wasn't this the last year of the official Mint? Towards the late 80s, I don't recall which year, they started closing the desert off and as a spectator you could only watch from two or three spots around the course. Like now. But regardless, I thought the last official year was the Jean start?

3) I have about two dozen color stills from this race, a couple from Fremont street and a handful of race pics. I can post them here if you think it fits the theme or I can save them for the "old school" pics thread. I wanted to double check and make sure it was the right year and all the numbers match so I'm pretty sure it's 1988.

Stuck Sucks

Reaction
1) Did we miss out on Part 2? :) I see 1 of 8 and 3 of 8 but no 2 of 8! Just making sure you aren't holding out on us!

#2 is at the top of the page. Don't bogart that clip!

2) Wasn't this the last year of the official Mint? Towards the late 80s, I don't recall which year, they started closing the desert off and as a spectator you could only watch from two or three spots around the course. Like now. But regardless, I thought the last official year was the Jean start?

I was just thinking about that - when we went over to spectate in the mid 80s, you could watch from anywhere - maybe not good for the desert, but REALLY good for spectating.