video camara

84toy

Reaction
I know this was covered in another thread a while back but I couldn't find it by searching. If you were going to spend a $1000 on a video camara tomorrow what would it be. I'd use it out in the desert and propably snowboarding and I want to be able to edit stuff on my PC.

Jason

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I went to Goodguys and Best Buy today in search of a new DV camera that also does stills in a separate memory bank. I ahd the most idiotic people helping out. I think I started with a guy making 6.75 and moved up to about a 10/hr employee and all eh told me was that he could not recommend a camera for use in my situations. He said that "cameras are supposed to be used indoors or in optimal conditions like the beach "

"Beach huh? what about the sand?"

"Oh well this is assuming that you hold the camera up away from the sand."

I am in search of the same question. Sony appered to have the best ones in the price range.(600-900) I think I was checking out the TRV-25 and 27, but he pretty much told me not to buy one becasue I would be abusing it and it would not be covered under the insurance...

God these people need help!

The thing that sucks is only recently have computers started coming with IEEE1394 ports so the card is like an extra $100, and then a case, and then extra battery and memory stick and then film. By the time you walk out of there you have 3-400 in accesories plus the 800 price tag on the camera!

I need some advice too. Any help is appreciated.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

SDranger

Reaction
Jason, i have a panasonic dv901. I guess they dont make that exact model anymore but if you can find it its pretty cheap, its mini dv and takes pretty good stills here is one: http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/search/1,10126,0-6342639-1302-0,00.html?tag=dir-1k&pn=1&ob=1&qt=&qn=&F1=4&F3=0&F4=0&F5=0

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

orvacian

Reaction
With any of the DV cameras you will want to tape the tape door and any open holes with masking tape to keep dust out, I learned that one from Klaus. Go with the Sony trv27, its nice! And buy it from me, at Goodguys! (yup, its a shameless plug) Kritter, you deserve the treatment you got at Best Buy, you should have asked me first! BTW, Frys has firewire cards with software for like $30-40.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Me and Davis went to Good Guys first so that we could tell you which model we wanted!!! The guy at the Montclair was having enough trouble talking...let alon trying to explain something to us.

We were gettin it from you...dont worry!!

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

motoxscott

Reaction
Yea I just picked up a JVC GRDVL120U today from Circuit City. They had it on sale for $499 and included a bag and tripod. I havent used it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I did most of my research....if thats what you want to call it, on cnet.com , they have tons of specs for all the different cameras to compare. I didnt want to spend a ton of $$$ on a camera that I could break/lose in the desert.

Now I just need to figure out what editing software to use.

SDranger

Reaction
For a PC the best program is adobe premier. You can download it off kazaa pretty easy. ive got 6.0 and it has more stuff then ill ever use.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
from my experience I would say to stick with Sony or Cannon. They both have good models at or under $1000. And their still pictures are better quality even on the lower models now than they were a year or two ago.

dcman008

Reaction
i have a jvc gr-dvl 505 ($700 two years ago) when it works it works grate but the problem is that evan in my house ever five min you have to use the head cleaning tap($17). i thought i just had a bad camra so i took in in to get fixed but the i was told ther is nothig to fix it happens to all the jvc min dv cams.

"on a scale of one to ten...i think im at least a bagillion!"
live long 91 cors-a-truck