VIDEO - Desert Invitational Q&A with Dave Cole and Andy McMillin

CFreeLV

Reaction
This event sounds bad a$s! The 40 mile qualifying portion will be interesting. Most qualifying courses are 2-5 miles long and drivers put everything on the line and give 110% for those. Is it possible to substain that same intensity for 40 miles?

Slippery P

Reaction
Dave Cole is the man!!!

Fourstroker

Reaction
Sounds like he has his bases covered. cant wait

AZ7000'

Reaction
Yo @fishd00d , can you post the final TT rankings you and Dave developed? Wondering for the KOH race but also just to see how the boys (and girls?) rank overall for the past 3 years.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Fish has a tough job with these rankings. For example if someone only runs BITD but really runs up front consistently, they might be seeded lower than someone who is not as fast but ranks higher because they also run Baja. Or vice versa, someone might really excel in Baja but that's all they race so they end up seeded lower than someone slower that runs both BITD and SCORE. IMHO, ranking should be about who finishes the BIG races in highest positions, and not so much based on how many races they run. I'm sure he will figure it out.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Fish has a tough job with these rankings. For example if someone only runs BITD but really runs up front consistently, they might be seeded lower than someone who is not as fast but ranks higher because they also run Baja. Or vice versa, someone might really excel in Baja but that's all they race so they end up seeded lower than someone slower that runs both BITD and SCORE. IMHO, ranking should be about who finishes the BIG races in highest positions, and not so much based on how many races they run. I'm sure he will figure it out.
I agree with this 100%!

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
The bigger the race and/or the more competition, the more a result is worth.

Winning a Peninsula B1K is worth more than the Tijuana race. The Mint is ranked higher than SF 250.

You're right its tough to navigate the 'Justin Matney' effect...race everywhere with above average results ranking againist premiere performance in less races. When we looked at ranking compared to Finish percentage, win percentage and podium percentage...it penciled out.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
$ 5000 entry fee for TT but the 4400 are $ 2650 ??? As far as ranking goes if we get a poor ranking with little or no chance to run for the win it will be an easy decision whether to show or not. No matter what we still think it's a great new event for off road.

Last edited:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya it was tough to come up with the rankings and be fair about it. I think once you guys see how we did it you will agree for the most part with it. The key is having the value of the races be worth different amounts like Dave said. After that there is no opinion to it, its just based on your finishing results for ALL BITD and SCORE races over the past 3 years on a rolling basis. I should have the list finished early next week. I have a bit of work left to do before its easily displayed to the public.

FYI, Robby Gordon is very far down the list.....

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
$ 5000 entry fee for TT but the 4400 are $ 2650 ??? As far as ranking goes if we get a poor ranking with little or no chance to run for the win it will be an easy decision whether to show or not. No matter what we still think it's a great new event for off road.
The Fishgistics ranking list will be used for your qualifying start position ONLY. Its upto YOU where you start after the 40mile qualifying loop.

P.S. Both your boys are in the Top 15 on the list, maybe top 10......

g.out racing

Reaction
It sounds like great idea but here again the racers are putting up there own money to receive a purse. 5000 dollars at 40 TT which equals 200,000.00 Just raise the entry fee at Parker to 5000 and can have big purse as well. Unless I’m missing something here it’s the racers putting up the purse. Would be more realistic if entry was 1500.00 and there was actually sponsorship purse instead of racers pot luck. Reality checker.. Just hoping someday the racers actually aren’t having to pay for a purse.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
The concept paying for the purse with entry fees only holds water if the only service you are paying for is a race. These competitors are getting much more than that in the event and media exposure. Not to mention they are getting what they cant get anywhere else, a clear track, no one else but other TTs and no lapped traffic. 5k is alot of money and I honestly dont expect 50 to show up...but the best racers will.

Appreciate the feedback

Bricoop

Reaction
Honest question-How much does a pro TT team spend on a 400 mile race? Including prep, employee salaries, transport, hotels, food, tires, fuel, fluids and excluding things that are bound to break or wear out. $5,000 doesn't seem that large to a pro TT team compared with all their other costs.

brad inch

Reaction
This event sounds bad a$s! The 40 mile qualifying portion will be interesting. Most qualifying courses are 2-5 miles long and drivers put everything on the line and give 110% for those. Is it possible to substain that same intensity for 40 miles?
its just like driving a 1600.110% all the time,should be a great race

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
One thing while we have your attention; in years past at KOH coming into the pits at main can be confusing for the racers the way it's laid out. I've sat there and watched numerous guys (ours included) that drove up and down trying to figure out where to enter/exit the race course. A lot of guys bypass the infield, while others go through it. Just a thought.

Great interview! Best race promoter in the business!

ksmith

Reaction
Great Interview! Sounds like a great addition to the Hammers and an awesome event!

One thought I had to add some strategy to the race for the money..... In regards to the two different loops (80 mile and 40 Mile) would you consider allowing the teams to choose what order they do the laps? IE: (2 long laps then 2 short), or (1 long 2 short 1 long) ect, whatever order they choose as long as the team completes 2 laps of each loop (240 miles total)

Just a thought and could make for some good strategy among the teams.

Keep up the good work Dave Cole, it blows my mind what you have built this event into over the years!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
It sounds like great idea but here again the racers are putting up there own money to receive a purse. 5000 dollars at 40 TT which equals 200,000.00 Just raise the entry fee at Parker to 5000 and can have big purse as well. Unless I’m missing something here it’s the racers putting up the purse. Would be more realistic if entry was 1500.00 and there was actually sponsorship purse instead of racers pot luck. Reality checker.. Just hoping someday the racers actually aren’t having to pay for a purse.
The price purse was put up by Toyo and Monster, hence why its so big.