Video game sponsorships

D4D

Reaction
I need all your input here.

I have been in CA since last week for a bunch of meeting before this weekends race. Last night at dinner with some other off road marketing type guys we started talking about video games and the sponsorship opportunities and the cost of those opportunities and whether or not it was working for our companies. Each of us have a different reason for getting involved in the games but a number of people that have not done video game marketing spoke up and said it is a total waste. So I bring it to you guys.

Do you notice the advertising in Baja, Dirt 2 NFS Shift and simular games?

cixelsyd

Reaction
I have seen advertising for Royal purple in NFS shift. In Dirt 2 and the other games like it you see most of the advertising on the cars and the start/finish due the fact that the races for the most part take place outside of racetracks and cityscapes, but yes i do notice the advertising in racing games.

call-911

Reaction
Looking from the outside in to off-road racing, I see value in advertising but you need to weigh what kind of exposure you're getting at what cost. Before the recent off-road video game surge and the involvement with the recent surge in scale looking R/C stadium trucks I wasn't too aware of some of the sponsors like KMC wheels and Bully Dog tuning devices. Does my awareness make the money spent on advertising worthwhile? Hard to say... If I was getting into off-road racing and the advertisers of video games and RC trucks made good products at a decent price I would definitely go with the companies that put their advertising dollar in video games and rc trucks.

michael_loomis

Reaction
I notice I don't see a single Bully Dog logo in Dirt 2!!

But I thought the Bully Dog power in Baja was awesome!

I notice camburg and RDC in iPhone 2XL Supercross!

I do/will be spending my money with those who support my favorite hobbies!

nick9

Reaction
I definitly notice the ads/sponsors in the game and it is cool to see them in there. It doesn't necessarily mean im gonna buy the product, i go onto the forums and look at product reviews before I buy something.

baja619

Reaction
Brand in product placement works. You can analyze all you want but when the brand is easily viewable than those marketing dollars are well spent. When you see the amount of money a cell phone and watch company spends to get their newest products in the latest James Bond movie, do you think they are recouping millions of dollars in sales? Hardly. But when they activate a full campaign (print ads bill boards, and what ever else) that ties the brand and product affiliation to the movie, I believe that is what pushes the sales.

Sure there is the initial investment of sponsoring a game. But what if those companies had a year long campaign to tie in the game to other promotions throughout the year.

Brand awareness creates a brand following. A following leads to potential customers.

How did Bully Dog analyze the effectiveness of their saturated involvement with Baja: EOC? From my perspective on the outside, I would say they have more customers from all the different promotions that they were involved in.

D4D

Reaction
Measuring the ROI from a video game is near impossible, bacause as you said Baja619 it is about building brand awareness. To evaluate it we do surveys at events as well as with various contests we do but that is not 100% full proof. We got involved in the games for one specific reason, to reach a younger demographic that had interest in our market already. And it is working really well for us thanks to the games, the R/C trucks, the toys, etc.

Really my question is not if it is worth it or makes sense, it was more specidic to the off road market. You are all part of this in one way or another so does the logo placement catch your off road eye. From the replies, other then Loomis (Which means he sucks at racing games and has not got far enough in the game ;) bahaha.........) I would say you guys do notice it.

michael_loomis

Reaction
LOL!!

BS!! Im better than most of these guys and much farther along!

I am playing PS3 though, and they are Xbox... I wonder if they are different??

3D of 3DCS

Reaction
I definitely notice product placement and advertising in video games. Hell, a lot of the time I'll point it out to a friend if they're nearby. Product placement in movies and video games are an interesting thing to me.

baja619

Reaction
I am on the same page with 3D. I pick up on all product placement. Got good peripherals so I can still keep my eyes on the trail.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
ApexKiller, I noticed the advertising. Placement is key, as with any of it. You could branch out into other games. High visabilty games IE need for speed etc... You could even get some into COD and Battlefield series of games. Those games have HUGE numbers. If you break it down it may not be exactly the target audience your looking for but it could drag in some that normally would see it.

Cadwell

Reaction
LOL!!

BS!! Im better than most of these guys and much farther along!

I am playing PS3 though, and they are Xbox... I wonder if they are different??

See I can give my opinion here cause I own all three systems ( baller status here) and I play my 360 99.9% more than my ps3. I have tried to play games on the ps3 but it just doesn't feel good and I can say that i can not tell the difference with the graphics. I just prefer the 360 over ps3 due to the online play is so much better than playstation and you can get more out of the 360 as in instant movies from net flixs and you can view gamer reviews and watch stuff from the 360 people right then and there. But back on topic.... If I know a company is supporting a game I play I will support them back by buying their products when possible. I am glad 2XL made baja EOC and I do think it is a decent game it was just bad judgement on their part to get THQ involved. But I noticed all the sponsors when either racing or free roaming in the game. and When not intoxicated while playing Dirt 2 I would probably notice all the sponsors too.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Need to play the PS3 more Cadwell.. It does all that stuff too now.. But it plays Blu Ray, something 360 never will.

Mike, if you paid to have Bully Dog in both console versions of this game, I'd ask for a refund! I haven't seen one single BD logo, and up to level 47

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Need to play the PS3 more Cadwell.. It does all that stuff too now.. But it plays Blu Ray, something 360 never will.

Mike, if you paid to have Bully Dog in both console versions of this game, I'd ask for a refund! I haven't seen one single BD logo, and up to level 47

the 360 version has more content, lol

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
I notice the ads
I feel that ads in games are good but the bigger ticket is the cars with brand logos on them like the SHOEI wrx sti because you spend more time driving a car than looking at a banner for a split second. I own a shoei helmet so i know what it is, some people might not know what it is and they look it up on google and find out they sell helmets and maybe a few months down the line they need a helmet and remember seeing it in a video game so they decide to buy that brand of helmet or product. Maybe you don't get alot of customers right away but down the line people will remember and maybe buy a product from you.
my major is going to be marketing so this subject is very intriguing to me. keep us updated on what happens