Vin Check?

sirhk100

Reaction
I have a totaled truck that I'm trying to get a salvaged title issued to and am curious what I need to do since the Vin # on the dash isn't attached anymore. There actually is no dash in the vehicle at all, it looks just like the piece inside. I have the Vin plate though. If I built a dash and rivited it on would that fly on a Vin Check or do they still just issue the new plate on the door jam? Anyone here perform Vin Checks in the San Diego area? The truck is currently in Lakeside at my work's warehouse.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Khris,

Begin at DMV. They will send you to the CHP for the VIN verification. Unfortunately, many of our offices have a big back-log so it may take some time.

Do not attach our own VIN plate. They will verify the hidden VIN's plus the frame VIN and issue a new number.

Reese

ntsqd

Reaction
When my DB was ready to be registered it's VIN was no longer in the DMV computer's database so it had to be verified by either a DMV person or a CHP Officer if it could be brought to either's office. What I was told if it didn't run was that the dept with jurisdiction over the area I lived in was who I should call. If I lived in the county it would be the Sheriff's Dept. Since I live in Ventura it was Ventura PD. The DMV supplied me with the form for the Officer to use since it wasn't quite ready to run at the time.

martininsocal

Reaction
Kris- You will have to start at the DMV to get the paper work rolling. They will tell you they have to to do a VIN check at their office, then, when the Dash VIN is not in the proper place orlooks liek it may have been modified(don't reattach it!), they will refer you to the CHP to verify the hidden VINs on the chassis and firewall. Then you will be basically starting from scratch back at the DMV except you will now have a VIN. Did you purchase this truck with a salvage title? If so, I don't thinnk you will have to go through a VIN verification if the vehicle is in the DMV computer as a salvage title, just all the Brake/Light/Safety inspections, etc...

Good Luck!
Martin

sirhk100

Reaction
I've already been to DMV and that's one of the things I have to do. I purchased the truck with the knowledge that it was a totaled vehicle. I actually have the clean title that the previous guy had when he purchased it back from the insurance company after it was recovered. Basically I'm going threw the steps of recovering a totaled vehicle. All I have to do is a Vin Check, Brake and light inspection (easy, just need $$$ to purchase all the lights and fiberglass to mount them in because there's currently no body panels on the truck), and a smog at a "smog only" station (I'm stressed about the visual cause the interior isn't in tact and they need the stock guages mounted OEM style). I've already paid the fees and started the process I'm just curious what each step is involving. I've already talk to the smog official and the B & L inspector but I wasn't sure what I'd have to do about the Vin #s.

Anyone know where the hidden Vin #s & frame # is on a '90 yota?

martininsocal

Reaction
There should be a VIN on teh firewall stamped into it, I think near where the brake line runs across. The B&L check can be a pain in the ass if not every light you have is a factory style, DOT approved light for that specific operation. You can't use clearance lights for turn signals, etc...
As for the dash issue, I think as long as you have the proper check engine light and speedo that reads correctly, you will be alright.

GOOD LUCK with this one.

Martin

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, it will have all the factory lights in it. I already talked to the guy and told him what my plans are and he said that would be fine. I'll look for the VIN # tomorrow to make sure it does really match. I'm sure it's fine but there's still a little doubt in my mind.

The issue with the dash is the guy at the Smog station said the cluster had to be mounted as if it was stock off the showroom floor. I asked what if it was perminately mounted like weld two tabs in and bolt it down. He said no on that... That's pretty gay to me, all for a stupid check engine light!!!

Junior

Reaction
What does the location and style of the gauges have to do with vehicle emissions?

That blows.

sirhk100

Reaction
I would love to know that too considering I've got a feeling I'm going to be fighting with them over this. I'm going to perminately bolt the guage cluster to the main support tube that the steering column hangs off and see what happens. I figure if everything is there, bolted down, and functional they should pass me!!!

martininsocal

Reaction
Kris- In reality you will be correct, but in their world, you will be wrong, and until you bring them a truck with a stock dash, they will probably tell you no. With that being said, you can they take teh option of going to a BAR office to have them sticker the vehicle for the change to the dash. The folks at the BAR offices seem to understand that "stock" doesn't neccessarily mean "stock", the flunkies at the test sites only want to see factory. It is a real hassle, and there are not too many loopholes to work with. After doing this game twice, I have decided to look at it in a different light and don't deal with these people anymore.

Good Luck.

sirhk100

Reaction
f'[I am an idiot, I don't know how to express myself without cursing] california... I'm getting closer and closer to getting outta here!!! Especially after that joke of a debate last night!!!!!

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
my story may not apply but i went the opposite way. i got my truck from a recking yard, it had a salvage title allready and i wanted to change it to off highway registered. the dash in my truck was gone also, but the vin was still in the door jamb and on the frame rail. dmv said i had to have the vin verified by a cop. my dad was is (was) a cop at the time and he just signed off on the dmv registration form and we sent it to dmv. it was simple. the only crappy thing was the "50 dollar salvage revival fee" sux. but i got my green sticker and its all good.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
if you can handle it, just fill the cab with enough smelly, disgusting things that they will just want you to get finished and leave. All your cab needs is a driver's seat, steering wheel, and two pedals. Look them right in the eye and proudly say "I'm a slob, get used to it, 'cause I'm coming back here again and again until you pass me". It's a little understood fact that most government types will take the path of least resistance, (read "whatever is best for me"). And definitely, DEFINITELY, have garlic breath, don't shower for a couple days, try going crosseyed if you can. Insist on shaking their hands, talk to them closeup, I promise you they will want you gone. They cannot refuse to help you...

ESB4130

Reaction
what about the case where youve made your own firewall, the little sticker in the door jam was gone before i even got the cab...the dash is long gone..and the one on the frame is covered by gusseting? do you get a new # to stamp somewhere?

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
mike, if you are refering to your race truck i believe they can issue an entirely new vin number. if its just a green sticker registration it will be easier i think than trying to get it "street legal". its kinda like building your own trailer i think, just take it for the inspection and they give you a vin number. and just a tip, maybe you shoulda cut a little window in your frame plating so the vin was still visible. that would make things alot easier, i think.

martininsocal

Reaction
Heres where you will run into a problem. The CHP is doing a VIN verification because the dolts at the DMV are not considered smart enough to verify hidden VINs. This is their regulation, so take it for what it represents. If the CHP cannot verify the original VIN, you have a problem, as then the vihicle has no way of showing it is not a stolen and stripped carcass taht you are resurrecting with parts you stoll from said carcass. Yes, It does happen. You need to have a visible original VIN somewhere, or you will increase your registration time by a lot.