VIN# Locations...

sirhk100

Reaction
I'm looking at buying a 1990 toyota pickup that's a stolen recovery and has a salvaged title. Does anyone know all the locations that a VIN # could be found on the vehicle? Also, has anyone gone through the process of registering a salvaged vehicle that's been purchased back from an insurance company?

Thanks
Khris

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
I know the cab vin is on the door jam. Vins on the frame right under the front of the cab. Basically for salvaged vehicles, you go to the dmv and get the forms started.

-brake and light check (ridicuous waste of 100 bucks)
-smog at referree
-back to dmv.

- you might need to get a vin appointment at the chp....

I think that's pretty much it.

bajaboy

Reaction
I believe there is one also on the usual spot , lower drivers side windshield, thats where mine is, but its a '92.

Bajaboy

THNKPNK

OG Offroad Chick
Reaction
(from my work's auto theft dept)

most vin numbers can be found on the vehicle:
- On the door frame/door post of the front doors (usually driver's but sometimes passenger's)
- On the dash near the windshield
- On the engine itself (machined pad on front of engine)
- On the car's firewall
- In the left-hand inner wheel arch
- On the steering wheel/steering column
- On the radiator support bracket

Hope this helps

<font color="pink"> CU OFRD </font color>

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
two of my friends toyota trucks (93 &amp; 94) almost got impounded when coming back from a race because their vin numbers didnt match (frame and engine). After lots of phone calls to different toyota dealers they where able to confirm that certain years had different vin numbers assigned from engine to frame.
i couldnt find anything online to post but perhaps someone else has heard of this???

THNKPNK

OG Offroad Chick
Reaction
are you sure that different VIN #'s were assigned to your friends trucks/engines? I'm curious because back in 90-? toyota had a huuuuge problem with their head gaskets, maybe by coincidence, your friends trucks had their engines replaced before they bought them (because of the recall or something else)? Just my $0.02

<font color="pink"> CU OFRD </font color>