• Forum membership has its advantages....

VIN/Title Problem

Live Free or Die

Ok I don't know if this is a scam but I bought a project car and just noticed (5 weeks later) that the VIN is different form the title. I'm sure this is a common problem with offroad vehicles but I don't want any problems. I live in CA so I'm wondering if anyone has fixedwith this problem before. What kind of records must you show for Mexico and SCORE?

Live Free or Die

LMAO, I changed that recently to get people to read my posts. Its a good distraction; if that was my GF my wife would be pissed.

CR Productions

Ok I don't know if this is a scam but I bought a project car and just noticed (5 weeks later) that the VIN is different form the title. I'm sure this is a common problem with offroad vehicles but I don't want any problems. I live in CA so I'm wondering if anyone has fixedwith this problem before. What kind of records must you show for Mexico and SCORE?
I'm familiar with this type of situation. If the title's vin# is off a few digits from the chasis vin#...it can be corrected by a licensed vehicle verifier. But...If you have a newer vehicle, the title should have 17 digits where as older vehicles...say prior 74, will have 12 digits, then I can see an issue. Years ago when we would cross the border with some of our offroad cars that were never properly registered... we used to bring our old motorcycle registrations and tell them here it is and it worked all the time. Nowadays, I don't recommend that!! PM me...if you need additional help?

flyinbronco

I'd start with a carfax report on the vin number on the truck to make sure it wasn't stolen before I did anything else. You may have been scammed.

Live Free or Die

Ya I have a 1973 VW so the carfax thing dosen't work. I'm wondering how big of a problem this will be to fix? If the car is not stolen could I get a new title issued with the right number? What if I got a bill of sale from the guy with the correct number?