• Forum membership has its advantages....

Vintage Desert Race Truck

oldiron

I used to maintain Jim Venable’s Unlimited Class 5 car back in the day. My passion was always to race a V8 powered truck like Rod Hall, Jim Mears and many others at that time. As life goes when I had money I had no time, when I had time no money. I bought this old race truck from a Hemet racer Mike McComas about 7 years ago. I wanted to race the NORRA event with my sons. There’s nothing like the sound of a V8 thundering down the road. I spent several years rebuilding the truck bringing it back to life. It’s powered by a 421 small block with a Mogi trans deliverying the power to 4 wheel drive. I live in Arizona during the winter and Idaho in the summer. The boys have young children now so the truck has been put in the stables. I’ll post more pictures of the build soon.

Attachments

jeff

So what are the plans for the truck? Are you going to enter the NORRA?

Aloha

oldiron

Ahh... it's a For Sale post.

The Vintage section is usually pretty lenient but a vehicle for sale belongs in the Classifieds or the Barn Finds, wherabouts, or i think i knows thread.

Aloha
With all due respect I know how to post in the classified section. I’ll keep my posts directed on the rebuild of this truck which I enjoy sharing with fellow members. I’m also interested in anyone’s encounters with past memories of this truck. Life changes and I my get my wish to enter NORRA with a fellow racer. Regards

jeff

With all due respect you could have updated the thread you created back in 2015 the last time you offered this vehicle for purchase via the Race-Dezert.com forums --- Vintage '74 Chevy step side NORRA race truck --- If you want to discuss the build and talk about its history that is exactly what the Vintage forum is all about. If the thread turns into a blatant FOR SALE ad it will be pared down to keep it in line with the forum rules.

TROPHYSEDAN

Hi there.
Was this truck at Parker. Out by Boise

bullnerd

Lots of pictures of the front suspension would be great if you can.

Looks great! Nice job restoring it!

Bro_Gill

The truck was raced under the Stock Full rules of SCORE when that class still had entrants. I think Mike had a win with it at one point. He had a couple different stock fulls, Blazer and then this truck, I believe, and then he started driving in some of the Fords of other teams. He lived down the street from one of the fire stations I used to work at, kind of across the street almost from some of the old class 3/4 Jeep Honcho guys.

The old 5 car that Jim had, long time ago. Sold it to Razo. Had all the really old stuff in the boneyard at Hemet-Ryan next to the hangars he ran the tankers out of. Some real history there, and not just racing. Jim was a great guy all around, good supervisor too.

oldiron

Send me an email and I can get the ad out there to the right people for you. Nice truck, I remember it well. [email protected]
I appreciate any and all info from all of you. As you may or may not know Mike had a terrible off road racing accident so when I got the truck put back together I haven’t bothered him with asking more of the trucks history. I sent him a picture of it completed. I believe there’s someone else on this forum asking questions about a Chevy build so please reach out.

oldiron

The truck was raced under the Stock Full rules of SCORE when that class still had entrants. I think Mike had a win with it at one point. He had a couple different stock fulls, Blazer and then this truck, I believe, and then he started driving in some of the Fords of other teams. He lived down the street from one of the fire stations I used to work at, kind of across the street almost from some of the old class 3/4 Jeep Honcho guys.

The old 5 car that Jim had, long time ago. Sold it to Razo. Had all the really old stuff in the boneyard at Hemet-Ryan next to the hangars he ran the tankers out of. Some real history there, and not just racing. Jim was a great guy all around, good supervisor too.
Jim’s unlimited 5 car used to belong to Bruce Smith of Rainbow Wallets from Hemet CA. Does anyone know if it’s still competing? I spent many hours prepping that car. My wife and I had a lot of good times racing with the Venables. The Hayhauler came later. I drove that old Ford before Jim made a race truck out of it.