Vintage Funco - back in CA time to register

jps1145

RDC Crypto
I picked up a chassis an body of an old Funco from Norm Francis last year and put it back together. I was living in TX at the time and planned to race it out there. Well, after the request from my employer to relocate BACK to CA, i jumped at the chance.
I'm now back, but in the Tehachapi area. So, i need to get this thing registered so I can take it out around here without any issue LEO's. I can't remember seeing a serial number anywhere while I was working on it. Does anyone know if there is a stamp somehere, or, will my best bet be to take it to the CHP and have them tag it?
IMG_3676.jpeg

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Look for a CHP tag(if it has one) on the lower A-pillar drivers side. That's where they typically put them. Other wise the CHP route it is. I would take the body and anything off that looks expensive. Don't want to get into a pissing match on value with them DMV or CHP. Bring any receipts you might have for the build....up to about $5k

brad inch

RDC Crypto
last time i did it,dmv had 4 boxes to ck,motor,trans,frame,body,it was easy if you had these receipts.not sure what you can do right there are only a few dmv,s open.call the dmv and chp

jps1145

RDC Crypto
Receipts... LOL! Most of the expensive stuff (motor/trans) I had laying around. Maybe I can convince Norm to write me a bill of sale.
I'm not in a big hurry to get it legal.

ACME

RDC Crypto
Advice from experience with the CHP: Pull the motor and trans before going to CHP as it's not worth the risk and they don't need it for the VIN process. It all depends on the officer you get, but If you don't have receipts and even with receipts and evidence if any serial numbers present a question and/or cannot be verified for origin and the officer lacks common sense; it can be a mess. PM me if you want to discuss...

jps1145

RDC Crypto
Advice from experience with the CHP: Pull the motor and trans before going to CHP as it's not worth the risk and they don't need it for the VIN process. It all depends on the officer you get, but If you don't have receipts and even with receipts and evidence if any serial numbers present a question and/or cannot be verified for origin and the officer lacks common sense; it can be a mess. PM me if you want to discuss...
Good tip! i may just bring it down in the condition i got it. just the chassis.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
You can do that, but they may make you bring it back when you have a motor in it. Sometimes they want to see a block number if the chassis has no numbers just to make sure it is not a stolen being rebuilt. Sometimes you have to play the game they play for the win.

jps1145

RDC Crypto
like was said above, have your paper in order. since i didn't have anything other than a bill of sale, i was given a sheet to describe what was done to chassis and estimated cost. it wasn't painful. I made the appointment for this afternoon down in Mojave. The officer looked over the chassis to make sure there were no numbers stamped anywhere. I gave him what i had and told him my story of how i acquired the car. He put the blue plate on and sent me on my way to the DMV.

Hawkeyenfo

RDC Crypto
That’s great news! I’m going to be doing the same in the next couple of weeks. I’m in Rosamond and it’s good to hear that Mojave CHP was reasonable. Thanks for sharing.