• Forum membership has its advantages....

Vintage Production Sedan Questions

3 Amigos Racing

A tarmac racing friend of mine is building a Peking to Paris 65 Mustang GT.
The plan is to shake it down NORRA race. In 2013 a similar car raced NORRA in Vintage Production Sedan. Car #371. I was thinking this would be like a Class 6 car.

Glancing at the 2017 rules I am confused as to where this 65 Mustang would be in what class?

3 Amigos Racing

I totally over looked this in the NORRA book thanks!

11.11 Vintage Production Cars This is a vintage category for production based passenger vehicles (sedans, coupes, and convertibles). Trucks and SUVs are not permitted in this category. Vehicles in this category must be at least 20 years old. Fenders are required for all four wheels. Maximum tire size is 37” Vehicles in this category must be readily recognizable as the vehicle upon which it is based, at the discretion of NORRA. This is a home for the original Class 6.

Where can I find a set of old SCORE Class 6 rules? I know what it the class is but not the real detail?

3 Amigos Racing

and do you all think the vintage production car rules are similar to the vintage truck? soprt of open class with this

Vintage Truck classes, must be built from 20+ year old production truck
o Body style must have existed in this Era
o Production based modified chassis, stock concept suspension, linked w/coilovers
o No pure tube frame trucks (those belong in the Historic Class)
o 37” max tire diameter
o Big Modern shocks

Bro_Gill

I totally over looked this in the NORRA book thanks!

11.11 Vintage Production Cars This is a vintage category for production based passenger vehicles (sedans, coupes, and convertibles). Trucks and SUVs are not permitted in this category. Vehicles in this category must be at least 20 years old. Fenders are required for all four wheels. Maximum tire size is 37” Vehicles in this category must be readily recognizable as the vehicle upon which it is based, at the discretion of NORRA. This is a home for the original Class 6.

Where can I find a set of old SCORE Class 6 rules? I know what it the class is but not the real detail?
No class 6 cars raced on 37s. Suspension was much more stock based. When I get home from the 1000 I will post the rules from class 6 back in the day.

JBweld

I was just looking into this myself and was confused on the lack of info. I have an old Nova that needs a purpose in life.

Bro_Gill

OK, back from the 1000. Going through the various rule books, there are different eras of class 6. Any particular time you want to know about? It does kind of matter and the SCORE rule books don't scan so well due to their size.

3 Amigos Racing

Larry Schwacofer era .. and the Parker AZ Nova Snortin Nortin era? early to mid 80's?
Thank you

Chris_Wilson

The present day NORRA Vintage Production Car class is basically an open class with very little restrictions. There are no limits on suspension, the car must be based on a production car at least 20 years old, retain fenders on all 4 corners and tire size is limited to 37" and that's about it.

JBweld

Larry Schwacofer era .. and the Parker AZ Nova Snortin Nortin era? early to mid 80's?
Thank you
Yep, this era for me as well.

The present day NORRA Vintage Production Car class is basically an open class with very little restrictions. There are no limits on suspension, the car must be based on a production car at least 20 years old, retain fenders on all 4 corners and tire size is limited to 37" and that's about it.
So you could build a 500 hp, long travel IFS, trailing arm car and compete against legit vintage cars? That doesn't seem right.

Chris_Wilson

No I'd probably move you to a faster class.

Bro_Gill

OK- Larry won the Class 6 title in 1983, and the rules for 1984 were changed to limit engine displacement, but that didn't hold and Class 6 was again open to all production sedans except for VWs again that year. And as for Larry's Chevies, he raced 2, the first used 3.4 ton Suburban front clip and was later called illegal for the class and the second Tri5 Chevy was built and the first car became a wagon chase/prerunner. here are the rules from back then-

Vehicle built from 2wd sedan or wagon, series produced with at least 2,000 units in 12 month period, No VW or Porsches allowed, Corvairs OK. Coupes,convertibles, station wagons and passenger pick-ups, such as El Caminos and Rancheros included in this class. Sedans, The following 4wds allowed- Subaru Brat and station wagon, AMC Eagle and Spirit and Audi Quattro. Others may be considered.

This is a stock production class and parts will remain stock except for those parts allowed to be modified. Rally Cars meeting F.I.A. requirements will fall into this class.

Suspension- Other than parts mentioned, all parts will remain stock but may be strengthened with additional materials. Suspension pieces may be interchanged within the passenger vehicle series of the vehicle manufacturer. Suspension must maintain original manufacturers concept for the vehicle series. All springs must maintain original concept. Items with no restrictions-Spindles, Pivot Points, Spring rates and capacities, Ball Joints, Mountings.

Number of shocks and mounting methods optional, however, shocks may not be mounted in passenger compartment without approved metal shield cover. Spare tire must be located in body.
Steering system must maintain stock type (rack and pinion, reciprocating ball, etc...) but may be replaced with same type but must remain in stock location. Idler arms, tie rod ends, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arms, etc... may be strengthened or replaced.

Engine displacement was initially limited to 2850cc's (173.9 cu. inches)only real restriction was no dry sumps, but the class kept getting big engines cars and Class 6 and Class 6B went back to Class 6 shortly after.

Transmission was to be same as body manufacturer. Rear ends were also to match body manufacturer.
Firewalls were to remain in stock location, intact, and whole.Completed must weigh Kelley Blue Book listed weight minimum. Floorboards could be modified for exhaust routing. Fenders could be cut up to 4" and flared maximum of 2" except for Citroens that could have the entire fender opening in the rear opened up to expose entire tire. Fenders must be attached with bolts, No one piece hinged front ends. No fiberglass fenders.

Stock Wheelbase must be retained. Frame may be strengthened. Body must be mounted in stock location. Tailgates and trunklids optional, hoods and trunks may be of any material. Safety Glass windshields required, side glass optional. Stock Grill mandatory.

That's 1984.