Vintage race photos from Riverside Raceway and BAJA 1000

manbearpig

RDC Crypto
Image2.jpg

i feel like ive seen this one before... story is sundahl was in the midwest competing and one of the races e went to had a mud bog event. this bike was setup for mud bog and the one behind it as well

i would be extremely surprised if anyone has ever seen any of these photos before as they were pulled (pryed actually) out of the pages of my family's personal photo album.

if anyone has in fact seen these before, please speak up. i need to know you haha

i will do my best to fill in the info. if i cannot, or if i am wrong and you know the right info, please speak up

these first photos were taken at Riverside raceway in 1981

Image3.jpg

Honda team rider Tommy Gaian. modified 200s

Image4.jpg

Unknown Rider, Unknown bike. folded up front fender?

Image5.jpg

#51 Mark "Wax" Weixeldorfer

Image6.jpg

Dean Sundahl riding 350R (yes 350R) running #73. pictures of the bike later in this post

Image7.jpg

#51 Weixeldorfer

Image8.jpg

Sundahl on 350R. first generation helmet cam. what you got on this GoPro? Please help identify the other gentlemen in the photo

Image9.jpg

Sundahl, 350R, helmet cam. battery on one side, camera on the other.

Image10.jpg

THE GOODS. 1981 honda 350R. Sundahl. Riverside Raceway

Image11.jpg

look at that cylinder!

1981 Baja 1000 photos.

**each one of the following photos has writing on the back. i will type out the writing as it is written**

Image12.jpg

Ensenada 'Baja 1000' 11-6-81
Mark takes off from starting line.
Bike #84

Image14.jpg

San Felipe
11-7-81
-around 6:30am Dean pulls in to let Mike take over. Here Dean and Honda pit man gas and check bike.
-the headlights used on this bike were very bright. it cost $7000 for Honda to develop the electrical unit for the lights to work properly on this bike.
-extra gas tank below lights
-the tires were filled with tire sealant - TONS! which made the tires wobble and vibrate at high speeds

Image13.jpg

Ensenada
11-7-81
Mike Chester pulls in. All riders congratulate each other and pose for pictures

anyone remember what the outcome of that race was?? <-- FOLLOW THE LEADER, HE'S ON A HONDA!!

BSchlimme

RDC Crypto
Totally cool photos!! Little bit before my time. :) My first 3-wheeler was a 1982 ATC250R when I was in 6th grade.

I remember racing both my 1985 ATC250R & 1987 TRX250R at Riverside. That track and the LA Colesium have to be 2 of my favorite experiences along with the Pomona MTEG where we ran on dirt/asphalt.

Thanks for sharing.

Ben

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
Those men and ATC's were bad arse for their time. Didn't they top 5 overall the 1000 one year? I remember being at Riverside that year (6th grade) that the 350R was raced, I was like, oooohhhh. I also remember the modified 185'. Oh to go back in time with what we know now.
I also had a 82 250R and still have my 85 250R and my '88 TRX250R that I raced the '88 Riverside with, my biggest race.

harleys dad

RDC Crypto
My first honda ATC 90 3 wheeler was in 1968, . You would be very hard pressed to find someone who has ridden one before I did. Everyone laughed at it for a long time before they started to catch on in the 72-73 years. I remember the first time they were raced at Southbay speedway in Chula Vista, later speedway 117, that is where ATC racing started.

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
WOW, B1k on an ATC that takes some nuts!!!