Vintage Racing Memories - It was just racing when I did it. HA

Steve Marolda

Reaction
One memory that sticks out for me was at a Riverside Heavy Metal race. Bridgestone was the event sponsor that year and all the Bridgestone corporate big shots were there. Anyhow... The winner is on the podium, trophy in hand, and thanks Bridgestone for putting on the best race and BF Goodrich for supplying the best tires! Yup, that didn't go over to well with corporate big shots.

You got any memorable moments?

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
My friend and i took a life size poster of a model,cut it out, and pasted her to cardboard. We would set her next to the course at all the races we went to. "Lisa" always got plenty of honks and waves..lmao

100_8178.JPG

ACME

Reaction
My first Baja race on a ATC I got a stuck stub (days before comms) from a go fast guy that was down with a blown motor on his 3 wheeler. He waived me down walked over smoking a doobie and gave his explanation of what he needed and never stopped taking hits off it. I asked him if he was okay and he said he had water, food and weed and was all good and waived me off...

harleys dad

Reaction
my best memorie comes from 1975, my mom drove a 1967 Vw sedan my dad bought new. One day my dad comes home and tells me and my friend to rip everything out of moms car!! This car had about 1500 miles on it at the time. So I ask my dad why?? We are making a race car out of it!!! I can still remember laughing about moms car as a race car lol and thinking how pissed mom would be if I touched her car. My dad comes over with a giant flat blade screw driver and runs it threw the head liner from back to front!! instantly ruining it and stabing holes in the 2 front seats. Thinking back bugs were a dime a dozen in the 70s but still it was moms car. After the expected blow up after she got home my dad helped getting the rest of the inside stuff out. This was 4 days before the 1975 Score off road world championships at riverside for the brand new class 11 for working people. My dad built a ton of dune buggies so he bent up a 1 3/4 cage that was mandatory added some lights because we were going to be racing at night and not much else. We like so many that raced failed big time because my dad completely over drove it bending the rear horns and the engine nearly fell out. I think we got 2 laps in but wow, moms car was not happy but that beetle did go on to win the Baja 1000 another great vintage memories . remember the seats my dad stabbed with the screw driver, we ended up racing with those 2 seats

Reaction
Dave, where'd your mom get a eight-year-old bug with only one month's miles?

harleys dad

Reaction
Dave, where'd your mom get a eight-year-old bug with only one month's miles?
it hardly ever was driven, she had a stationwagen she drove. She didnt want to drive the bug much it took up space in the garage as she would never let it sit outside.. for the most part my dad put most of the miles on it driving 3 miles to his shop when I say it was like new it is a understament

Reaction
Boy, I wish I had MY mom's '67 now like it was 50 years ago. Just a stock white sedan, not even a Sapphire radio...

She got hers in June, probably already had 3K on it by the end of August. ;)

First car I drove on Pismo Beach.

harleys dad

Reaction
the truth is my mom really could not drive a stick and was to stubborn to really learn it. My dad bought it as a birthday present from Brown moters Vw in National city Ca. I rode home in it. Then my dad tried teaching her to drive it which didnt turn out so well.This sedan was white and kept that color into the early 80s. It still sits in the back yard under the patio of what was my Mom and dads house close to being able to drive but hasnt run in about 10 years. When I make it down there I was about a inch of crap off it as a freeway on ramp is behind where it sits and just covers it in road crap. I thought about the 50th but cost to much these days. Before being made into a 11 my dad would drive it once in a while to keep the battery up and it rarley moved. I did drop a bowling ball fro the rafters onto moms wagen next to the bug but missed the bug by inches lol

germancarsonly

Reaction
Los Angeles Plating had been a great sponsor during 1975 and 1976, but without their help in 1977 I took a break from racing and was back to being a pit captain. I was working again for Bill Hepburn, the Commander at the races. For the 1977 Baja 500 our pit was towards the end of the pine forest. The night before the race I cooked a tailgate meal of ground beef tacos and refrieds on my Coleman 3 burner for the pit guys and girls. We then sat at the campfire and passed around a bottle of Sauza Tequila and a couple of big fat joints. When it got dark we all went to bed. I had installed the camper shell on my '73 Ford pre-runner and climbed in and went to sleep. All hell broke lose about 2:00 AM. My truck was getting bounced around, serious scraping noises were coming from underneath the truck and there was lots of squealing going on. Wow there was a freakin' Javelina gang bang going on under my truck! It only lasted a couple of minutes, but just the same it's an off road racing memory I will have forever.