Vintage Rules

retroblazer

Vintage rules questions. I'm finally at a point that I can start prepping my Blazer. My car qualifies on most of the rules, with the exception the shock diameter. The rules limit the shock body to 2.5" . Virtually everybody offers a 2.5" except Bilstein which is at 2.65" or 2.0". I have 2-14"-smooth body 9100's per wheel up front, and 1-16" smooth body, and 1-16" 5 tube bypass 9100's. I think they are 16"stoke in the rear, but they could be 18"..
I know I have to change the rear shock setup to two smooth bodies per wheel,or the single bypass.
Besides the issue of the shocks, my car has Bilstein bump stops. Second question is when did the gas based bump stops arrive in off road racing? I can't imagine running this car without them. I'd hate to have to stick a Fox internal bypass 2.5 on to get around the rule.

Bro_Gill

'Air Bumps' showed up in the 1980s, so i think it would be allowed in all but the classes that run the 1982 and older stuff. As far as shock diameter, I don' tthink they will sweat the metric versus King's Ruler stuff.

TRichards

I guess it depends an the year of the truck. If you were 82 and older it would be a bigger deal than if you were 83 thru 95.

retroblazer

My plan was to enter in the 1982 and earlier class, as my Blazer is a 1978, with four standard leaf springs, no quarter elliptics, no links. Think Conestoga Wagon.

TRichards

I would think 2- 2.5 or 60MM Bilstein smooth bodies per wheel would be OK. Probably have to remove the air bumps and put a solid bump stop with a urethane pad. Chris Wilson would most likely be the final word if he is still the tech director. You can PM him on RDC.

retroblazer

If I can run bypass shocks, per the rules, then I sure as hell ought to be able to run an air bump stop.

Chris_Wilson

I think this thread is about Vintage rules for the Mint, not NORRA.

If these are actually NORRA questions then I'll post answers here.
BTW, you can reach NORRA staff, including me at info@norra.com

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I think this thread is about Vintage rules for the Mint, not NORRA.

If these are actually NORRA questions then I'll post answers here.
BTW, you can reach NORRA staff, including me at info@norra.com
Chris, keep it public if it is a NORRA question. This is a good thread and is helpful for interpreting the rules.

TRichards

I didnt see a determination between the sanctioning bodies. however I did re read the Mint rules and a single bypass is allowed but does not address the bumpstops.

retroblazer

There is a slim chance that I will have time to prep the car for the BITD Laughlin race, but that is what I had in mind. Given my pace, it won't be ready until mid summer.
The rules are simple enough, any number of smooth bodies, or one 2.5" bypass. But a smooth body, can just as easily be an internal bypass shock, so hopefully I won't have to play games with the bump stop. Given that my car weighs every bit of 5,000 lbs. A single 2.5" in the rear with 16" of travel, doesn't sound like it is a good option.