Vintage Truck class

flyingford

Reaction
I have been trying to find a bunch of vintage trucks to see if anyone would be interested in starting a vintage off road class with vorra. I got an email from a guy in las vegas who has a class 3 blazer that won its class at the pikes peak hill climb back in the early 80's. I also got an email from the guy who has James Garners 442. He would be willing to come and race it if we did a vintage class at prarie city. Plus my dad would be willing to bring his 67 bronco back out if we can get enough cars. I think all we would need would be to meet todays saftey requirements. I was wondering how to get a hold of pj and see if he could bring big oly out? If you know anyone who would be intereted in bringing thier vintage off road truck out let me know. I think we have a great opportunity to put vintage off road racing on the map.
Thanks
Carl

1971Ford

Reaction
That would be awesome, I see 1979 and earlier fitting.

SteveS

Reaction
Ryan do not have the race before i finish the bronco, look at the guys replying to the NORRA 1000 that is any vehicle 1975 and older

james916

Reaction
Guys I think you are onto a great idea. I sure would ejoy watching it.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
NORRA is putting on the original Mexican 1000 for vintage racing. They are currently looking at vehicles up to 1975. They are considering opening it up to 1985. I just bought an old class 4 chasis from that era. I may end up restoring it as a class 8. I have an interest in the vintage racing idea... I hope it goes somewhere.

There is a thread in the desert racing forum.

560bajamike

Reaction
Dang it.
I got aluminum heads.:eek:
I really do not know the rules but they didnt have aluminum heads for the public at a decent price "back in the day".
I herd storys that the roundy round boy's found a paint to color up there aluminum head's that had metal in it (like metal flake?) so when tech would look and then stick a magnet to them, hmmm.
Should be a really neet class.

Mike

SteveS

Reaction
I worked for Stroppe and LOUBEN ind in the late 70 guys were running aluminum heads and blocks . i dont believe they will turn you away for that. some will be serious and some will take it like a joy ride .... enter it

560bajamike

Reaction
I worked for Stroppe and LOUBEN ind in the late 70 guys were running aluminum heads and blocks . i dont believe they will turn you away for that. some will be serious and some will take it like a joy ride .... enter it
WOW, I had no idea. I am a big car guy and read alot of mags but still do not know about alot of racing and different forms and classes of the such.
I guess I am just book smart about offroad racing living in the NW all my life and not being around the passion I came into.
THANKS for the info.

Mike

NicksTrix

Reaction
I just bought an old class 4 chasis from that era. I may end up restoring it as a class 8. I have an interest in the vintage racing idea... I hope it goes somewhere.

There is a thread in the desert racing forum.
mark, what did you pick up? sounds interesting.
makes you wonder where all these truck of those days ended up.

Fandango

Reaction
I have an interest in this class as well. Today it's posted that BITD graded the Henderson course. Who saw that coming? If this becomes the norm I'd like to run my Honcho. I really like BORs new Wendover course but for the most part it's one lane and passes are tough. Snore lists a vintage open wheel class but I dont know if anyone has entered. It would be fun to keep this thread alive and pick at least one event each year.