Vintage Yamaha Chenowth XT Rally Car

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I saw this and was curious if anyone knows the history of it. YAMAHA CHENOWETH

Looks like it raced in Mexico, if so did it ever finish or do well? Is it 4wd? What is the engine/trans layout? I like these old one off race cars...like Nye's 4wd class 1.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Hi Jeff:
Totally agree. Waaaaaaaay to much ginga for an old car with no engine and trans. I would be interested if it were a lot less. I would love to know the specs like wheel travel, CV type, etc. More pics would help as well.
-Matt Parks

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Why wouldnt they post pictures of it as it sits now?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Moss2

Reaction
I remember seeing it in Baja. It is an interesting car. It sounded like it never got below 10,000 rpm but didn't seem to have any power, like a motorcycle engine in too big of car. Wonder how big the engine bay is to fit something else. Subaru maybe. Weismann or SADEV sounds expensive for an old car.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Yes a SADEV. Mendi... was supposed to be working on a transaxle with 4wd capability. But then again I don't know the layout of this car. I think a gas Subaru turbo or a small turbo diesel would be interesting.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
It was funded by Yamaha if I remember right, to develop their V-Star motor I believe. Motorcycle engine and yes, AWD. Never really did anything race wise. There was talk way back about it going to Pikes Peak, but that never happened. And it was for sale years ago at about 1/3rd that price in the same condition they are selling it for now it sounds like. It was kind of a Chenowth Mini-Mag on steroids as far as the car went.

harleys dad

Reaction
I remember it costing a huge sum of money rivaling new TT prices today something we all thought was insane in the day. Chenowith made buckets of money if true because I believe it did not go much past
ojos on its only attempt. I watched it leave the start line and it sure made a lot of noise but didnt seam to take off very fast. Might have been on purpose for all I know. I want to say it had a hub issue but not clear on that. Cool looking car, only got to see it in staging that 1 time

Reaction
Its only race ('89 Baja 1000?) ended when the headers broke up above the Goat Trail. It was so loud, running at over 10,000 RPM that it hurt your ears and they believed that the harmonics caused the header tubes to crack.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Ramsey, do you remember the layout? Rear engine with a transaxle? A-arm or trailing arm?

Edit: I have emailed the seller to get some more pics, and layout info.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I believe it was A-arms all around, or something very similar in the rear, maybe a modified a-arm/5 link. I thought it were similar to the Mini-mags with the addition of AWD. I believe the set-up was mid-engine. Lots of buck for a very impotent bang. Look at the pictures from the Fortin Class 1 Trophy Truck for some ideas about the suspension. While it wasn't AWD, I think they were very close.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Gill, do you have any picks you can post of the Fortin car? Was this Yamaha 4wd tiny like a Mini-mag or more the size of a Dakar Mini?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Huge thanks Gill. Is that the Fortin car or the Chenowth Yamaha?