• Forum membership has its advantages....

Visiting the 2017 Baja 1000

Hi all, Together with a friend I am planning a trip to the start of the (2017) Baja 1000; a long cherished dream ! I am looking for some tips and information to get from San Diego (our place of stay during the rest of the trip) to Ensenada on november the 15th (we are planning to stay in Ensenada the 15th and 16th of november), and back apparently. Does anyone know if there are organized trips to this event ? We cannot cross the border in our rental car ! Hopefully someone can help. Thanks already !! Greets, Theo Baltus

nimrod

KOOK!
You could walk across the border and take a taxi, not that ideal.
You could walk across the bridge to the Tijuana International Airport and rent a car. There's parking in the USA and you walk across the border on a bridge to the airport
Possibly bus from SD to Ensenada.
You could pole vault the wall and run south like crazy, it would confuse everyone and you'd probably pull it off. ;)

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Made reservations yet? Better hurry.

You could walk across the border and take a taxi, not that ideal.
You could walk across the bridge to the Tijuana International Airport and rent a car. There's parking in the USA and you walk across the border on a bridge to the airport
Possibly bus from SD to Ensenada.
You could pole vault the wall and run south like crazy, it would confuse everyone and you'd probably pull it off. ;)
Hi, thanks for your reply !

MasTacos

Volunteering with one of the Pit Clubs is a great way to see the race.

For hotels, I recommend the El Cortez since it's pretty central.

Chris_Wilson

There are San Diego car rentals that allow you to take the car to Baja, you can find these on the internet.

Hi Chris, thanks, I will look into it. Did already some searching on this topic, but this is not really common. Greetings, Theo

Volunteering with one of the Pit Clubs is a great way to see the race.

For hotels, I recommend the El Cortez since it's pretty central.
Thanks ! I took al look at the El Cortez on Booking.com - already fully booked I am afraid. Thanks anyhow. Greeting, Theo

Kerry Rauch

Theo:
You must have an airline ticket (traveling from/to Tijuana Airport) in order to cross at the airport bridge. Only airline passengers may use that bridge.

green787

Stay up partying all night... sleep in the crowd before the race where it's safe.... Wake up at the first Bikers... sleep... then Trophy Trucks... You don't need a hotel...

Martin

Hertz at San Diego airport will allow travel to Mexico if you add the extra insurance. Just let them know what you plan to take it across the border.

Honda48X

We use Fox car rental. They make you purchase insurance and you are good to go. Very cheap car rental.

First The Mint, then KOH, now Baja 1000? Haha what's up Theo? Long time to see. Would love to meet up while when we're down there since we missed each other at the 16 mint.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Hi Killian, nice to hear from you again. Baja 1000 is not possible i am afraid. It is to uncertain and risky to get from CA to Baja to plan an entire trip on (fligth, etc...). Some people on the forum had some ideas, but i think its to risky (flight to Baja is to expensive and takes approx. 30 hours). Greetings, Theo

Desert Son

Pretty cool little documentary of our 2016 Baja 1000 run. Shows a little of the up's and down's of the best race in the world.

First The Mint, then KOH, now Baja 1000? Haha what's up Theo? Long time to see. Would love to meet up while when we're down there since we missed each other at the 16 mint.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
Hello Killian, I don't know if you have received my last reply. Indeed, I am working on my "bucket list" when it comes to the desert races. The 50st Baja1000 is something I would really want to experience. I (together with a friend) am looking for a way to travel (trusted and secure/safe) from San Diego to Ensenada for the start (and maybe a first viewing of the race in the desert). Some people on the forum replied and someone even offered to pick me up in San Diego and take me along to Ensenada. Problem is that i cannot check the real intentions and certainty of these offers. It is difficult to plan an entire trip (flights from Europe, hotels, etc...), based on an offer from someone you don't know. Do you know if there are any organized trips from out of the US ? PS. flying directy to Baja costs approx. 3-4 times as much and takes approx. 30 hours !! So that is not an option. Greeting, Theo

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Theo, for what it's worth anyone on this forum that is offered to take u to Ensenada is a stand up racer or fan. Myself as well as others have trust strangers on here with family members, high dollar transmissions race tires/wheels, engines and any other part u can think of. I think u should be more worried about ur safety IN Mexico than trusting a fellow desert racer. We are all family on here buddy.
Hope u can make it and yes...... I too would pick u up, and have no problem taking u guys to Ensenada either. Darren.