VORRA closing shop!?!?

FCRT 13X

It looks as though VORRA has suspended all future operations. This is a sad day. I raced my first race with VORRA 5 years ago and looked forward every year to racing in their events. They will me missed.

I know desert racing is on the endangered list, but maybe it should be moved to critically endangered list...

Thanks for the great work VORRA!

You will be very missed,

Brendan Fowler #787

QurtysLyn

Really? Wonder what's going on. They've been doing better than we have for the past few years. Wonder if this has anything to do with SCORE cancelling the Reno race?

y2kbaja

It's on the VORRA front page at VORRA.net. BLM is the biggest issue and the letter over there says it best.
Nothing to do with SCORE cancelling the Reno race. That would only have helped VORRA.
Sad day, it's been a part of my entire life.

Bro_Gill

Coming to more public lands near you every day...Obama is in his final term. The Dems may lose the Senate. They have to move as many societal control bills and issues as possible before the next election. This is a case of- It is harder to start something than to keep it going once established. The environazis are using the BLM to end desert racing in Northern Nevada.

Dirty Harry

Sad day indeed! I think that the BLM has become drunk off the money they make from Burning Man around here and now expect every organization, no matter how longstanding or how small, to pay big bucks for the use of public lands. The attitude seems to be that they are doing us a big favor by even considering allowing racing on BLM land and want notice a year in advance. Things are out of control.

Samco Fab

Very sad news. Yerington is one of the great race courses anywhere, and to see the BLM attack such a great event for not only the racers, but for the community of Yerington is sad. The parade shows the support of the town, hopefully all the voices will be raised in disgust for our government employees not allowing us to use public land.

Read the comments here:http://www.vorra.net/index.php?opti...le&id=347:blm&catid=66:latest-news&Itemid=173

I respect Wes and Jenny's decision, and appreciate all the hard and sometimes thankless work to put on these events, I hope the torch will pass to someone with the same passion and respect for the great sport of off road racing. We need these grassroot organizations that provide monitarty mortals the venue to race great events.

Last edited:

johnnyweb

Sucks to here. Yerington was the first desert race I attended. Thanks BLM for nothing. Its a much better idea to help a bunch of freaky hippies get drunk and do drugs for a week tripping out on B.S. (oh i mean art????)out in the desert then let families and good people recreate and race for a couple of days a year. Actually spending money and supporting local towns.

QurtysLyn

We've had our issues with the BLM on the other side of the state as well, but not quite to this level, they've always been happy with us. Anyone from VORRA that wants to race with us is welcome, but I hope to see VORRA up and running again soon.

It's on the VORRA front page at VORRA.net. BLM is the biggest issue and the letter over there says it best.
Nothing to do with SCORE cancelling the Reno race. That would only have helped VORRA.
Sad day, it's been a part of my entire life.
I was more wondering if it was cancelled for the same reason, not VORRA being effected by the cancellation of the race.

DONALD MACE

Vorra will only come back if someone else pays for it. The letter Wes has out pretty much spells it out. If someone has the money he will sell it. Pretty sad, ever since Ed sold it has been down hill. Have been racing Vorra since the early 80s. We were going to bring out 2 cars this year. So sad.

ksmith

I too have many great memories racing with VORRA over the years. I raced my first desert race at Yerington back in 1997 at the age of 16. I'll never forget the support and excitement from then owners Ed and Jenny as we crossed the finish line first place in sportsman. Ever since then Vorra has felt like home. The grassroots teams are always willing to lend a hand or spare parts to keep you in the race. Current owners Wes and Jenny have continued the family oriented race organization that we've all come to enjoy. I would like to thank them for their countless hours of hard work over the last several years to provide us with a great place to race. I certainly hope this isn't the end of Vorra. I will be taking time to contact the local BLM office stated in the letters on the Vorra site to let them know the financial gains that our team brings to town each time we race. Gas, food, hotels ect.

DirtDgr

I am totally bummed about this but I could see the writing on the wall at the drivers meeting on awards night.

We remained optimistic but knew this might be coming. Still is a shock that it finally did.

Meek Racing had two wonderful seasons with VORRA and are very grateful to have had the chance to be a part of it.

There are many reasons they came to this decision, not just BLM. I am sure it's one of the hardest they have ever had to make.

My opinion on the matter?

I think running a race program in Norcal/Nevada needs to be done on a club level, not as an individual. There is just too much work, and too few drivers to make a profit big enough to justify the amount of time a single person has to put into it. Its a full time job with little pay. Wes and Jenny gave it a hell of a shot and I am grateful for that.

madmyres

This is just sad. The actual course change was such a minimal change and it was in the area of the main pits where those roads were getting used during the weekend race anyway. It was like Wes was asking to open up new lands for racing on. It appears the BLM was just waiting for the opportunity to deny the permit and found that opportunity with the minor course change to appease the new land owner.

Vanny

This pretty tough to hear. we were looking forward to doing a couple races in the next year or so, especially being close to home.

jackassracing89

Well this was the day I was hoping to never see . I've been around Vorra since I was 5, now almost 32. I've done everything for this organization, started picking up trash, working check points, while mom ran the contingency program and lapped checked and dad announced. It became more than a race but a family who we spent vacations with and now my parents are part of a tv club with all the old vorra crew. I Raced for 10 years from 14 with my own car and racing other cars since. For the last 5 years I've been a proud vorrateer and the announcer. Although I didn't always agree with the decisions made by Wes I also knew being on top and making them was never easy. Wes had some great ideas, many of which never came to light. The race at wild west ( all but the sand storm) was epic! I think the world of Wes and Jenny, the crew who spent countless hours waiting for cars to come by, and most of all the my other family that for most of my life I spent a weekend just about every month with.
Now for what can be done, Vorra needs a person who has time, money and a passion for this sport, more importantly this organization and it's grass roots origin. I agree, and as I suggested at the rules meeting that Vorra should look into a non profit/ board to run the organization like snore has been doing for years. I really wished I had the funding and more importantly the time to do so. For now, who's up for a Memorial Day fun run in yerington??? We can even run out to weeks . And I hope we can get enough people to show up, still support yerington and say a big F u to the BLM.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Everling

I think running a race program in Norcal/Nevada needs to be done on a club level, not as an individual.
Let's call it FUBLM.

For now, who's up for a Memorial Day fun run in yerington??? We can even run out to weeks .
We had the same idea. Count me in!