VORRA closing shop!?!?

indefab

I don't even know what to say except wtf?
How much are they selling out for?

Im motivated to keep VORRA alive if there's any way I possibly can, I know some ppl that may be able to help.
I'm also used to working for nothing...so this would be like a pay raise =)

for the memorial run we should do some sand drags, top speed runs, call outs on the fun sections, poker run, whatever, but lets make a full weekend of it and get as many rigs out there as we can.

Last edited:

retroblazer

This should be a wake-up call for those who have supported the Democrats. They alone have emboldened the bureaucrats at BLM.

If you race, or want to race, in the US deserts, this story is of major concern.

DirtDgr

So, Matt what is the ante?
To take this to the next step...
My opinion even though you did not ask for it?

A huge commitment from about 20 dedicated people who will forgo their racing for a couple years to purchase VORRA if possible. Or start a new club and just let VORRA go.

Or a few dedicated guys willing to use to just start a couple outlaw races out at prairie city. Short course uses the track. Long uses the whole 4x4 area. Need to have $ though to start.

Even with a club its a huge undertaking. I am a retired member of the Dirt Diggers North after over twenty years. So I am familiar to this way of promoting, but I retired to spend time with my family and try a new form of racing! lol.

This all just needs to soak in a bit for me. I think the work load and lack of cash flow has everything to do with it. I don't know if its possible to do with current car counts being crap last year.

madmyres

So, Matt what is the ante?
To take this to the next step...
I am not sure what the ante is. There has been some ideas bing bounced around regarding different methods of madness like member owned, non-profit, etc. I figure what ever happens is going to have to be in line with Wes's way of thinking obviously. I think anyone who is serious and can make a valid proposal should contact him directly. For what ever reason, he shy's away from these public forum conversations. I wish I had enough money and time but I don't. I got everything I can handle just holding down life and my new company. Regardless of the type of format that would come out of new ownership, the hard part would be the purchase price, then insurance, then BLM issues on the heels of that, along with recovery costs, impact studies, and permitting. That's all before anyone races and pays fees. I don't know what the answer is or if there is one, but certainly hope that someone could pick up the torch and carry it forward.

green787

Would it be possible to race in that area where they set off all those nukes in the '50's??? I don't see how it could hurt anything compared to an atomic bomb.....

Would it be possible to race in that area where they set off all those nukes in the '50's??? I don't see how it could hurt anything compared to an atomic bomb.....
That's now designated as a "National Wildlife Preserve," Robert, with no competitive OHV use allowed.

y2kbaja

Where are you talking? Out of Fallon near Sand Mountain we have (had) permission to run close to a test site. In the 50's it was detonated 2000' or something below ground.

Look at an old map of Nevada, see the "Atomic Test Site" area and boundaries.

Now look at a current map, same area is now a National Wildlife Refuge.

y2kbaja

I am not sure what the ante is. There has been some ideas bing bounced around regarding different methods of madness like member owned, non-profit, etc. I figure what ever happens is going to have to be in line with Wes's way of thinking obviously. I think anyone who is serious and can make a valid proposal should contact him directly. For what ever reason, he shy's away from these public forum conversations. I wish I had enough money and time but I don't. I got everything I can handle just holding down life and my new company. Regardless of the type of format that would come out of new ownership, the hard part would be the purchase price, then insurance, then BLM issues on the heels of that, along with recovery costs, impact studies, and permitting. That's all before anyone races and pays fees. I don't know what the answer is or if there is one, but certainly hope that someone could pick up the torch and carry it forward.
Having cleaned out the VORRA trailer for too many years until 2000 there isn't much in there: a PA system, scales, a bunch of signs, steel stakes, fencing, vests and flags. The value of VORRA is in it's name and 38 year heritage. Also the racers and permitted races. In the last few years the racers have declined and now the permitted races (at least Yerington and the BLM) seem next to impossible to get.

The vision I could see VORRA going in the immediate future is 4 short course races at Prairie City and maybe some piggyback races with the LOORS regionals in Reno. For desert races (series?) I see trying to work with BLM to make Yerington happen as it's the flagship race of the series. After that a co-operative (additional points race?) effort with the Bonneville series and BAP or RATR or Ridgecrest as a points race.

Did I think about taking the reigns of the VORRA? Yes. Do I want to? No. I'm dedicated to my little sister and like to plan events but I think the politics involved is not in my nature.

How many racers have looked at other series to race since this announcement was made?

y2kbaja

On another note I hope to see everybody at Prairie City March 23. Bring your race car, prerunner, quad or MC and pay your five bucks at the gate. Bring a BBQ and let's have a test and tune with the possibility of discussing a future VORRA.
As for Memorial Day weekend...there is talk about getting together in Yerington anyway and having a fun run. We just need to keep in mind the BLM doesn't care for un-permitted "events". Keep it on the down low. Maybe a GPS file will surface that will lead us from Yerington to Middlegate for beer and a burger.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/recpermit.html

green787

Where are you talking? Out of Fallon near Sand Mountain we have (had) permission to run close to a test site. In the 50's it was detonated 2000' or something below ground.
Some were detonated above ground and everywhere in between....
Nuclear Off Road.jpg
Nuclear Off Road2.jpg
Nuclear Off Road2.jpg Nuclear Off Road3.jpg Nuclear Off Road4.jpg

Bro_Gill

Prarie City should still be doable, even with a low key race. It's a state OHV park, so getting a permit should not be too hard. I also have a question. It seems that getting a permit for only 1 race a year is not a big deal with the BLM, but multiple events is. Maybe the future is 1 race east of Carson City somewhere and then use a BORE race and the Ridgecrest race to fill it out?

madmyres

Keep in mind for any summer camping trips that you may bring your toys, NV is now enforcing the OHV sticker program. Therefore any of our toys that are typically covered under the race permit would now likely require that sticker unless it is a registered vehicle. Then you are ok. I think they cost $20. I still need to do mine

FCRT 13X

One annual desert race permit is easy to get through BLM?? That sounds encouraging. Why not form 4 or 5 separate race sanctioning bodies that each hold one race annually? VORRA, NNORRS, NDRA, RORRA, SNAFU, whatever...
Just thinking out loud here, it may be way more trouble than its worth, and to have to remember so many acronyms is almost impossible.

Just throwin' it out there.

DONALD MACE

Someone needs to jump on this. If someone starts a new series with a new name they need to get in and hold the dates at Prarie City or they will be gone. Same with Reno. So they make a short course series this year. Can work on the desert stuff later. But it has to happen very soon.

Everling

On another note I hope to see everybody at Prairie City March 23. Bring your race car, prerunner, quad or MC and pay your five bucks at the gate. Bring a BBQ and let's have a test and tune with the possibility of discussing a future VORRA.
Great idea! We'll be at PC on the 23.

I few of us have been working with Wes the last month or so to try and keep the series going. Our grand plan was to form a club during the year and do a buyout at some point. In the end it wasn't meant to be for a number of reasons, mainly liability issues.

Whats needs to be done:
1) Form a corporation or LLC, a non-profit may be best for dealing with BLM and to limit liability
2) Get insurance, for races and some sort of umbrella coverage for directors of the corporation
3) Apply for BLM permits and hope the BLM doesn't require an EA. Vorra permits expire at the end of this year.
4) Get seed money for insurance and possible purchase of VORRA assets.
5) Get club members, elect officers, plan races
6) Race

The sooner we approach BLM for 2015 permits the better. They require 180 days minimum.

Permits for the current year could be transferred to a buyer that purchases "significantly all the assets of Vorra" at the discretion of the BLM.

y2kbaja

Eric, in the BLM letter they said that "two races in one calendar would place VORRA in
cost recovery". This is why I thought about 1 desert race per year and consider a co-op with BORE, SNORE or MORE.

Everling

They give you 50 hours per event. If you get to 51 hours your charged for 51 hours. They feel they gave Vorra a break last year since 2 races were held at Yerington and they did not charge cost recovery.

The real issue is renewing the permits for 2015. If they require an environmental assessment the dollars for cost recovery could be huge. We need to get an organization started ASAP so we can set up a planning meeting with them.