VORRA closing shop!?!?

6.4twins

Reaction
Very sad to hear about vorra throwing in the towel. Yerington was my family's first desert race the whole family bummed. We've been thinking about selling our rig if vorra isn't around :( We barley have time to race three desert races in our own backyard so I couldn't imagine driving down south......

FCRT 13X

Reaction
I know I am getting way ahead of things here, but is a couple of hours past beer:30 on Friday. How about a race that spans NV... BOR secures permits from Wendover, lets say to, Eureka and VORRA secures permits from Fallon to Eureka. One permit ends on the same day that the other permit begins, a 2 day point to point no 50hr violation on either end...

Honestly, I only get to race once a year and I love(d) racing with VORRA and everyone that participated. I would love to see something in northern NV. I am not much help right now with 3 kids all under the age of 7 but hopefully in the future I can help more with with battling the dark side of the force. Now I can only watch from the sidelines and cheer for the good guys and write letters.

Perseverance!

retroblazer

Reaction
I would be willing to commit time to recover VORRA. I live about an hour and a half south of the Prairie City track. I have been one of the presidents of the original group that promoted short-course racing in the Midwest, called 4x4 Unlimited, and I started and promoted the first off road races in Chicago at the Sante Fe Speedway.

DirtDgr

Reaction
There are off road races all over Northern Nevada with a great organization I have had the pleasure to race with in the past called MRANN. They do two day events. They are the sanctioning body. It is several clubs that put on the actual races all around Northern Nevada.

Same with Northern Ca District 36. Raced bikes for most of my life with them and even was a Steward for a while. One sanction body, several clubs putting on events. Spreads the work out. All non profit. Clubs are happy with making enough to put on next years events

Both are very successful and very well tuned to dealing with all the red tape. Both are very successful. Both multi day events. But with each club putting on one individual race, the club itself can deal with their own race events' issues and problems.

Perhaps VORRA becomes the sanctioning body only. Deal with the rules and keeping events professional, points etc. Retain the VORRA name if possible. Clubs of offroad racers and enthusiasts, businesses and their families and friends put on the race as a club sanctioned by VORRA.

We would need to have the racers step up and form clubs in their general geographical areas. Where depends on where the racers are. The clubs each put on their event. In the bike world you do not race your own event, but get maximum points for working one. Each Club puts pride in their own event and tries to be the best.

Imitate success. I know its blasphemy to imitate the bike crowd, but what they do works. Even in the lean years they seem to survive. But its still a lot of work, and this rout would take time. But would best survive the test of time I think.

Last edited:

Everling

Reaction
I would be willing to commit time to recover VORRA.
Retroblazer has the kind of attitude that will keep off-road racing alive in Northern Nevada.

More than anything we need people that will commit to being a part of an organization that puts on races, racers and non racers alike.

See you at Prairie City on the 23rd.

DirtWorshiper

Reaction
Damn. this sucks!!! We were planning on going to the Yerrington race this year. I sincerely hope that something postive happens and the issues that caused this can be resolved somehow.

coilover88

Reaction
I know I am getting way ahead of things here, but is a couple of hours past beer:30 on Friday. How about a race that spans NV... BOR secures permits from Wendover, lets say to, Eureka and VORRA secures permits from Fallon to Eureka. One permit ends on the same day that the other permit begins, a 2 day point to point no 50hr violation on either end...

Honestly, I only get to race once a year and I love(d) racing with VORRA and everyone that participated. I would love to see something in northern NV. I am not much help right now with 3 kids all under the age of 7 but hopefully in the future I can help more with with battling the dark side of the force. Now I can only watch from the sidelines and cheer for the good guys and write letters.

Perseverance!
The 50 hour limit to avoid Cost Recovery is not just the race hours. It includes ALL of the man hours BLM spends in planning and processing a race. An event this size, especially being the first time it is run, would easily blow through the 50 hours. Your race sounds like a cool run if it could happen!

mike mcqueen

Reaction
What gets me is after seeing the pics 787 posted, (the government blowing everything up and making it look like the moon) we cant use the land? What kind of a government do we have? Its sad.

green787

Reaction
Go to Google maps.... set it on satelite view.... and search area just west of Papoose Lake.... Mesa Rd.... Unbelievable.... Or just search Sedan Crater, Nye, NV.... I got dibs on that one!!!!

Dezmob

Reaction
So bummed about this. I was planning on bringing my new class 10 to Ytown, I love that race and really hope we can keep desert racing up north. See y'all at pc, I was planning on testing in march so that works perfect

DirtDgr

Reaction
This is from VORRA site. Click on the links and read Wes's letter and BLM's answer! Will make you MAD!

"The BLM has clearly taken aim at VORRA’s permits.
The most pressing threat effects what is likely our most highly revered venue in Yerington, NV. In 2013 a parcel of private land near the start finish area became the topic of a small course change. The BLM asserted that more time was required to fully review the modified route. They left us with no option for our last desert race of 2013 but to pay the land owner to cross their parcel (the absolute last time they were willing to grant such permission) rather than approving the minor bypass around that property. However, the BLM representative did indicate that there would be enough time to review the change before our 2014 event. Click map for exact location.

When I contacted the BLM in November 2013 (click for a copy) their response was basically that they categorically refused to even consider the matter (click for a copy). You may notice that the message also places considerable doubt on whether they even intend to renew our five year permit for 2015 and on. The agencies policy requires 180 day lead time for applications, but as you can read, the Carson District appears to be moving to increase that to a full year without any due process.
I consider it imperative to our sport that this agency is held accountable. Please take any opportunity you have to help our politicians understand the positive economic impacts that our sport offers.
Our organization has diligently struggled to maintain the permits that we have raced under for nearly forty years. The size of this club is such that the type of financial burdens that the BLM wants to transfer onto VORRA will either cripple our current budgets or cause our entry fees to skyrocket."

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Reaction
Oh, God no! I started with my desert racing with VORRA in 1995. Sad!! F-U BLM!!

nohandslance

Reaction
This sucks. Vorra had a great race program, Yerington started and finished mostly on Private land (mine company tailings). Correct me if I am wrong. Where was the disconnect? Can we move a race to the Mina, Nevada area, I know they have no hotels, but the area advertises 500 miles of OHV trails. Or does this interfere with the V2R race permit.

Lance

6.4twins

Reaction
Has anybody made a letter to the blm that I can use to send out to my family and Facebook friends regrading the Yerington permit.?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today