VORRA closing shop!?!?

y2kbaja

While we'd love to, but that's over a 7.5 hour drive for most of our crew, longer for some.
say you'll do it, we'll get a crew going :)

y2kbaja

It's much more complicated that just saying there is an area let's race there. VORRA has 1 year left on their 5 year BLM permit which allowed racing on designated routes. Over the last 4 years Wes did a great job using all of these roads. If you look on the map in the link above and on the VORRA page you'll see all the green lines are approved race courses. The area in question is where the red line bypasses the white shaded area that the mining company won't allow us to use any longer. And yes, we've raced that road EVERY year since VORRA came to Yerington back in the early 80's. What I've heard is that this isn't a new miner/land owner but that since mining is VERY big in Nevada again the company is starting up operations again. At the May race last year we crossed his land and he charged $500 for the event, in September he threatened to not allow us to cross and in a last ditch effort with the help of the Mayor of Yerington VORRA paid up $750 to cross and he said that was the last time he would allow this. The BLM will not authorize the use of the 1.5-2 mile by-pass (red line) to continue use of the area. The start finish would have to be moved and that is not feasible.

DirtDgr

We need to get them to give us a better answer than this!

"The decision that came out of this meeting is that the BLM cannot accommodate your permit modification in 2014 due to other field office priorities."

They are basically saying that they just don't have time to deal with us.

We need to contact Senator Heller and Representitve Amodei I was told.

QurtysLyn

For any of the VORRA teams looking for a place to race, consider racing with us at BOR. I've already had several teams contact us about racing with us.

Any vehicle that has passed VORRA tech inspection, will pass ours.

bor-racing.org

Vegas Jeff

Sad to read this. I won my first race with Vorra and had so many good times racing up there with my Uncle Dale. My favorite time was laughing in the pits after getting kicked out of Brothers car at Yerington cause I was too fat. Great people and races. Will never forget the great races and parades at Virginia City, Yerington, Fallon. Hopefully something will change because a lot of very good racers start out in these organizations.

flyinbronco

I fear the only way to save Vorra will be with a big bag of gold, a team of heavy hittin' attorneys and a few decades of time. Or, we can vote out every single democrat in the country and replace them with all libertarians and be racing by February 2015.

indefab

Nah, you guys all want to save VORRA as it was, things change and so should VORRA. I know alot of business owners that have shut down in the last cpl years only to take a step back, re-asess values, generate funding, and hit it harder then ever with great results. Todays economy demands structural changes to organizations built on the rules of yesteryear.

Vorra is the only mixed discipline series, and as much as I love that aspect of it, I also think it's the achilles of the series. I don't think either short-course or desert dedicated professional racing teams see much value in a championship of this type. If VORRA was all short-course it could be ramped up, integrate with the Lucas regional series and potentially leverage more exposure and support that way. Clearly desert racing is a much larger set of hurdles, which need to be addressed properly without the stress of deadlines for this year.

There's alot of ways this could go, what makes sense to me is keep the short-course schedule intact to maintain momentum, I believe vorrateers would support this. As soon as your officially closed for business everyone gives up and moves on. Look for a series sponsor, pay Jim Graham to bring out the big guns to subdue the BLM for another 5 years, and move forward.

If it seems like a no-go on the BLM then we can go to private land owners, I had a crazy idea that if they are racing on snow at ski resorts why cant we race on the dirt at the same resorts? I know ppl at Sierra in Tahoe which was the resort Ricky Johnson tested at last year with the frozen rush test run. Ski resorts would make for insanely fun 5-10 mile loop racing action and there would be great viewing areas. Imagine watching an offroad race from a chairlift...

If VORRA's only option was stay as a short-course only series it would continue to serve grassroots racers as a place to hone their skills, enjoy the existing local racing community, and work their way up in the sport. Even if it's not a profitable endeavor I believe there's enough ppl who enjoy the VORRA short-course events that a club is a no brainer as an in between option for this season. It seemed like everyone had a really good time at the Reno track, it's a real bummer to let the already-reserved race dates fall thru the cracks.

If it wasn't for VORRA I would not have had a place to get the chance to become an offroad racer. You can bet that if nothing happens with VORRA I will personally carry the torch up here and work for exactly what I just posted under a different series name.

Last edited:

y2kbaja

As much as I hate to say it because it says losing desert racing I have to agree with indofab. With PC and Reno there are places to race. if there is a possibility the new vorra make amends with RN there is another private land to race. I also believe there is possibly a loop than can be done at both RN and Reno under 15 miles to have a BAP or RATR style race.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

DirtDgr

Only Yerington was lost right?

y2kbaja

I think so. Lost if you consider the blm won't approve the bypass and the land owner won't allow access. There is the ballon string type race or moving the SF to the backside. The 50 man hours needs to be considered also, I'm not sure if that's per area, event or total.

DirtDgr

How is it the bike guys have races all over Northern Nevada and we lose one place and its all over?

What about the motorcycle staging area at Yerington? There is no other spot to stage?

What about contacting Roger Norman and moving Yerington to his location where the 500 takes place. It has a awesome viewing area and I'm sure it can be tamed down a bit as I know it has a brutal reputation. Where is Rod Hall in this, I'm sure he can make that happen. Thanks Troy for working hard for the cause.

indefab

I was wondering about the Hall racing family today too, and was also wondering why we arent racing out of fernley anymore, Im guessing logistics/blm, but thats the best place to run imo if you want a good mix of terrain, and a nice long race course.

I don't advocate for losing desert racing, just enjoying what we can so we can race with our friends until we get that part all sorted out.

indefab

One of the things I though may be an option would be split up into 2 management groups, both could be under the VORRA name, just keep those inspired to work toward desert racing working together as a team on that part and those excited to see where short-course can go run with that, split up the workload, have 4 events of each discipline for monthly racing action march thru october, and keep the overall title intact. I personally would be very proud to be an overall winner for the season in vorra. I think it would give more incentive to the teams/sponsors dedicated to one or the other to know that they have a shot at winning a "short course series title" or a desert series title.

if the events alternated it would give the grassroots teams dedicated to one type of event 2 months to prep, those looking for more challenge have to change from shortcourse setup to the desert setup monthly which is an accomplishment in itself. With the push in shortcourse I think the stock mini class would be very popular and affordable, if we had a few rental trucks and a few more ppl put trucks together It would be one of the most fun classes to watch. With more focus on local event promotion there would be 3-4 times the number of spectators at the races as well. That has been proven by the nor-cal rock races.

Obviously I have put years of thought into this as I have seen the series struggle on the verge of existance since I got involved a few seasons back. Im amazed every time they pull off any race, let alone a desert event because they offer the same thing other race orgs do for half the entry fee and a quarter of the car counts. If you have never attended a vorra desert race, they are very well managed and there was never a question of what teams needed to do to make sure we could keep the blm happy, the racers always respected the need to comply to survive and they all did an amazing job in the pits and respecting no passing zones.

I think the series has simply outgrown itself in its current form and this is just the catalyst to a potentially better and more sustainable version of the same grassroots-driven vision for an offroad series in our region.

Last edited:

Samco Fab

I have a few ideas that I am working on to get it purchased and get it back running, but it will take a group effort, we could even call it Group V.....

I spoke with the unofficial VORRA lawyer Mike Lehner about how to keep a group of Vorra stockholders safe from litigation, and the other group of people that run it safe as well. He is on board with helping. I can help too, but not run it.

If anybody is interested in talking more about it, e mail me with contact info and we can directly discuss ideas on how we can get this together and how to share the workload. We all want to see it come back at at least some level.

samcofabrication@sbcglobal.net

y2kbaja

Thanks Sam. Will you be able to come down on March 23?

TrevorPiggott

What about contacting Roger Norman and moving Yerington to his location where the 500 takes place. It has a awesome viewing area and I'm sure it can be tamed down a bit as I know it has a brutal reputation. Where is Rod Hall in this, I'm sure he can make that happen. Thanks Troy for working hard for the cause.

When RN told me face to face he would do what he could to harm VORRA I was shocked...
An old post from an old thread by 43mod. Don't think Roger likes VORRA much unfortunately

kyle_pc_75

I'm sorry to hear about VORRA's hard times, but I would like to throw out an official invitation to all VORRA members to come race with Bonneville Offroad Racing in northern Nevada. Our races are typically made up of multiple laps of 30-50 mile loops, adding up to 200-300 miles.

I won't hijack this thread, but schedule and tech info can be found at our forum www.bor-racing.org. We allow any class that the other racing orgs run, grouping similar vehicles together.

BOR Tech requirements

jcarius

Howdy Folks,

There are some of us working behind the scenes to try and make something happen here. Basically, it take 4 things:

- Organizers time and commitment
- Money
- Volunteers time
- Racer's commitment

If you or someone you know can help fund VORRA through this crisis through sponsorship arrangements, short term loans, donations, or some other means, we need to hear from you.

If you are not currently a 'VORRAteer' and have time and energy to devote to off road racing in Northern Nevada/Northern CA, we need to hear from you.

If you are a racer who is willing to commit (which means writing a check for entry fees right now) to the short course races or the desert races that still have permits standing, we need to hear from you.

Prairie City round one is scheduled for 3 weeks away. My personal opinion is we cannot meet that deadline. PC 2 however is definitely in reach, there are some ways that Yerington might be salvaged, and if we keep on racing we can start working right now on the 2015 permits and issues.

Give me a call at 530-913-9172 or shoot an email to ncspeed@gmail.com - or contact Samco Fab above.

This can work - but it is going to require action and funding - from the folks that it is important to.

Jim Carius