VORRA events

CPaul

Reaction
I was curious as to what anyone thought about trying different races this and/or next season. Such as.......Two day events, (short course and desert), night races (short course and desert), new locations, Point to Point races, plus any other ideas???????

(insert opinion here)

martininsocal

Reaction
I would like to see some promoters get together atleast on the shortcourse stuff. We really have the ability to put together a shortcourse series now with Vorra up in Norcal, IE Prerunners and Rialto, and the recently stated Snowbird(?) races in El Cajon. There are other venues to hold races like Bakersfield, and Vegas and Laughlin. Can you imagine an 8 race winter series? Give the boys from the midwest a place to spnd their winters.

If your gonna go, go BIG

billymanfroy

Reaction
Casey,

You know I'll be there. Anytime, anywhere (OK, maybe not Wisconsin).

Martin mentioned the "Snowbirds" series which I had not heard of yet. They are very cool guys and you should DEFINITELY hit them up to come our way for some racing. (Maybe trade them a race or two?!?)

Lance Rinehardt intro'd me to them at the Phoenix Xtreme race last year, and they were some hard-core guys and gals running 2 desert-looking Rangers. I'm sure they have enough connections to bring in quite a few vehicles. They hauled all of us up to the ghost town above Canyon Raceway on a trailer and I got to shoot "Jimmy's" 3030 through the roof of the old Saloon. (Good story!!!) I'll try to get in touch with Lance and get the skinny for you. Martin's also dead on with Jen and Gregg's prerunner thing in Rialto, too. I met the two of them at the same race, so I'll hit them up too.

Now, the big question should be, "Who has a connection at Glen Helen?" Rich Klien should try and figure out how to bring that one back. I promise you that was the best track in the entire world. I raced it (CORR '97) and would be there every single weekend if they did it again...

P.S. Did you hear we 4-linked my truck?!? I'm going to Oakland for the tuff-truck race for the first try...

Billy

billymanfroy

Reaction
Rich,

It was the most fantastic course imaginable, really. I don't know of anyone who raced there that didn't like it the best of all the tracks. It was wide, perfect dirt, smooth, and followed the natural terrain. The 1st ever CORR race was held there in '97, and there had to be 5,000 people there even though it rained like 5" per day. CORR moved the west coast race to Vegas for 2 years after that. Glen Helen ran some short course series of their own for a few years, but it all went away. I sent an email and voicemail to Lori Yarnell from their website, so I'll let you know what I find out.

The rumor is they just aren't interested and it'd screw up their multitude of MX dates and tracks.

BTW, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.glenhelen.com>http://www.glenhelen.com</A>

curt

Reaction
Oakland TT is on Jan 3-5. The times are Fri 8pm, Sat 2 & 8pm, & Sun 2pm. Check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ushra.com>www.ushra.com</A> for all the dates/times. Curt

VORRA Class 7

Stan

Reaction
Curt,

Do you know of a place here on the 'Net to get more tuff truck info?

Thanks.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

martininsocal

Reaction
Billy- Glen Helen is a great racers track, but as to how it was run for the short course series, it left a lot to be desired for the spectators. It was not like the MotoX races where the fans could go up on the hills and line the course, you had to be in the stands(which eliminated seeing the sweeper and ravive section) or you had to stand at the north end of the pits and only see teh north half of the course. I am sure this has to do with liability for spectator injuries, but it is not asnice as the MotoX races for spectating.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

curt

Reaction
Stan,

What kind of info are you looking for? We run with USHRA (the schedule is on their web site) and have run with a couple of other guys but it's a wierd thing you almost need to know somebody to find out whats happening and where. When we started this thing, we'd see the advertisement on TV or the radio and scramble to find who was running the show and "get invited" There's usually only room for 16-20 trucks for the USHRA stuff but in the midwest at some of the "truckfests" the classes are bigger I believe. Be careful who you run with and get some opinions on the different promoters because some of the guys are sleazeballs and its potentially your life on the line. A good sign of somebody who doesn't care about you is someone who doesn't have an ambulance during the event at all times which we've seen a few times. Since the field is limited, you need to call and find out if they will let you run b4 hauling your stuff to the track. Curt

VORRA Class 7

Stan

Reaction
I'm trying to find out info on the small time stuff. I've found the USHRA stuff, so I'm covered there. The type of stuff you hear about on the radio like you were saying. Contacts for the promoters, websites and such. I'm basically focusing in on Cen Cal, I've found the tuff truck/pro arena e-mail list, so that might give me some info. Right now, my truck isn't ready to run, and won't be until it can pass a tech inspection at SCORE/MDR what have ya.

Speaking of the ambulances, the one and only event I've been to, about three years ago; a kid ran a 2wd stock Ford, the Uncle Jesse truck
. He wasn't like the posers in the built trucks, this kind decided to go big. He hammered it into the first jump, truck landed and immediately every knew something was wrong, but we though mechanical. Truck hit the second jump and rolled over that one and the last jump and rolled to a stop. The truck even had the stock bench seat and belts. He ended up rolling out of there on an ambulance and is paralyzed forever from that one jump.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.