Vorra Race

frankh

Reaction
Congrads to Sam Berri (sp?) 1st in class 1 and 1st overall.

Congrads to the Tavis racing team 1st and 3rd in class 10.

We ran but had engine problems, out on the 2nd lap.

Saw the Powell 10 car looked good, heard they were towed back. Hope everything and everybody are ok.

A class 9 car hit a fire truck that was sent down the race course to try and get to a 10 car on fire. The guy was taken to the local hospital and the air lifted to Reno. Hope all is well. Pretty dumb move by VORRA not to stop the race if the only way to get there was on the course. The 10 car on fire was part of a five car wreck in a silt bed right off the start at like the 8 mile mark. heard their were no injuries but the cars were pretty beat. One of the car was Lesher hope they can get there car back together for the MDR race.

Well that is not all of it but at least a little info.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Frank,

Was the 9 car and the emergency vehicle traveling in the same direction?

Reese

frankh

Reaction
yes, down the course. only like 1-2 miles from the s/f

Doug_Powell

Reaction
The VORRA Lovelock 250 was and excellent weekend. What a fantastic course, so much fun to race! Team Powell had a great outing finishing 5th in Class 10 out of 15 cars. We collected our first race check of $200 as well. We started 2nd off the line in class 10 and bombed through the dust until we passed the first 10 car and we kept the lead for almost 30 miles. It was nice to be out in front setting the pace and running dust free (all 4 class 1's had checked out). Our car was working great and all our suspension tuning/testing has really paid off. Unfortunately, I tagged a burm half way through the 1st lap and lost the lead when we rolled over. Phoenix Racing's class 8 stopped and tugged us over. Not a single thing wrong with the car as we were only doing 10mph when we hit the burm. Special thanks to Phoneix Racing for your assistance, you made a bunch of friends this weekend. We ran a clean lap the rest of the way and another clean lap on lap 2 making up a bunch of time. At the end of lap 2, car 103 red with the ls6 v8 (sounds wicked) passed us but then we got around them at check 3 (while they pitted) but they got around us again shortly up the wash. On lap 3 we had distributor problems and got a 3 mile tow to Pro Pit where we got that resolved and got going again. All in all it was a great race, and fun weekend for Team Powell. Met some new faces and made some friendships.

Unfortunately the weekend wasn't so great for all. There was a 4 car pile up of class 10s on the first section of the race on the first lap due to the dust. Some pretty mangled cars. Luckily I was ahead of it. I also saw the class 9 car of Forest Creasy after the race. The top of the cage had been cutoff with the jaws of life. I was told he was taken to Reno for medical care. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Congrats to Team Margarita/Sam Berri Racing for a great overall in class 1 and a fine finish in class 10 as well. Also congrats to Tavis Racing for your top finishes. Lastly I's like to thank Dennis Kordonowy and everyone at VORRA for putting on a great event in Lovelock.

billymanfroy

Reaction
Frank, good to finally meet you. Sorry to hear you had troubles. We had a bunch of problems, too and finally quit after limping 3-4 miles to ProPit on a broken axle tube.

This is what I saw, and I hope someone who knows Forrest chimes in to give us all an update from the source.

VORRA always does a good job, and they sent the trucks down the course just minutes in front of Forrest Creasy in Class 9. They started us (Class 7) right behind them, and I watched more than one official go to each car and tell the drivers that there were five 10 cars wadded up in the first silt bed (with some injuries), and that the fire trucks were on the course to go put out one of them (well that's what they said when they got to me). They literally drove both trucks right in front of all of us who were staged, so there was no way Forrest could have missed that. In all, no less than 5 different people, (including the safety guy George at the start line) gave us the heads up.

The dust on that first high-speed road was awful, because there was NO WIND. Not even a breeze. We had several sections of complete blindness, but we decided to slow down where we couldn't see. I can only assume Forrest didn't.

In his defense, he was probably running in the dust expecting to see some lights before he had to worry. If the trucks weren't running any, then that would explain it. Still though, he had to know they were there. When we got to his wreck, he was stuffed all the under the back of the 5-ton, and the bumper was flush with his dashboard. His helmet was off, and he looked semi-awake, but certainly groggy. The rumor I heard is that his face actually contacted the bumper hitch on the fire truck, and it crushed the front of his helmet. He supposedly only broke a jaw and lost some teeth, and obviously got his bell rung pretty good. I heard he was in pretty good spirits in the hospital after the race. If you would have seen what I saw, you wouldn't have believed he'd get off that easy. The 2nd fire truck was only 1/4 mile or so down the road still responding to the first incident, and they were running about 20 feet off the course. I still don't recall any lights, but I could be wrong on that.

Like I sad, I hope we get to hear from people who know him to give us some updates and let us know what really happened. It was an ugly start to a race that had lots of carnage on the course everyone said was the easiest of the year.

Get well soon Forrest and everyone else who had trouble...

The attachment is a pic of David Kordonowy and one of the officials whose name I can't remember...

Billy

Attachments

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
This was sent to me by a reader. Car 1209

The race started north on a
12 mile gas line road. There was no breeze and there was lots of heavy silt.
The road is high speed with some rollers to check up for. There were heavy
dust pockets, but you'd pop out of them. There were ruts the wheels rode in,
and as long as you were in the ruts, you knew you would not go off the road
because it was arrow straight. I was the fifth 10 car to leave. Billy Smith
was first. He got passed by Doug Powell. After the pass, Billy's car quit. He
tried to pop out of the ruts, but they acted as a brake and stopped him on
the course. He was hit by the 1044 car driven by Boss (don't know his last
name, but it's Dale Smith's car) The hit moved Billy's engine so the fuel
line came off the carb and started a fire. Lesher (1047) hit Boss. I hit
Lesher. Elrod or Elroy? hit me. I was driving the road in the top of third
and bottom of fourth. I was in third when I hit. I estimated my speed at 50
to 60 along with everyone else's. When I hit Lesher, I knew I was going to be
hit shortly by Elrod so I stayed in the car despite the 20 foot flames I
could see through the dust. After I got hit I radioed in what happened to my
pit. They told Dennis Kordonawy and he sent the firetrucks out. Elrod's car
continued in the race, but I don't know if Elrod drove. I heard a rumor he
went to the hospital with a possible separated sternum, but do not know if it
is true. None of the rest of us appeared to be hurt.

frankh

Reaction
Eric Robinson was driving the Elrod car. He went to the hospital but was released that day. He is back home and everything is ok. The car continued and got fourth.

RacrDude

Reaction
A couple of thoughts/observations about this accident from pit road.
When the 2 BLM fire trucks, 2 BLM Blazers, 2 Forest Ranger "Broncos", the local sheriff in his "Caprice", The local fire truck, and the Ambulance all responded to the accident scene ( within 10 mins of each other ), they all went "down" the race course DURING the starting of the race. Not all the cars had started, yet the race was not "Red flagged" to allow those vehicles time to respond. And, Yes, what goes "Down" the course must come "BACK". Unfortunately, when they were coming back, was the same time the lead class 1 / 10 cars were starting their second lap . Only 2 race vehicles where "held up" for the returning rescue crews and instructed to drive 20 MPH past the Pits. When the BLM trucks were responding, they did turn on there rotating lights. It was an eery sight to drive by Forrest Creasy's car with the top cut off.
I wish Forrest and others injured a speedy recovery. Get well soon.