VOSS MOTORSPORTS: SS300 Race Report

VOSS_MEDIA

Reaction
Voss Motorsports
Cupertino, CA

The Bilek 300 was filled with extreme highs and lows for Voss Motorsports.

This was the first race for Voss Motorsports in their brand new Jimco Trophy Truck. Jason and Rich Voss were very excited with their prior test results and ready to see what they could do in their first race.

The week started off with qualifying on Thursday. The qualifying course was catered toward the opened wheel classes; but there was no reason that a trophy truck could not get the pole position.

Voss Motorsports ran their practice lap and knew what they had to do to. The qualifying lap started off well; Jason Voss and James East were very pleased with how their lap was unfolding. They nailed turns and plowed through the soft, silty ground where they caught up to the dust of cars in front them. Unexpectedly coming across a buggy stuck sideways, blocking the course, Voss Motorsports was forced to sit and wait for the buggy to get going again. Upon reaching the finish line, they were waived back for a re-run.

The second lap went well. We only blew through one sandy burm. Voss Motorsports packed it up and headed back to the hotel anxiously waiting to see how we ranked in qualifying. Time trials results were posted and Voss Motorsports had qualified 3rd in TT and 6th overall. Not too bad for the first time out in the new Jimco truck. Then it was time to concentrate on race day strategy.

The plan of attack for race day was to simply be patient and wait for others to drop out in front of us. The course was dusty and Jason thought if they could stay just barely out of the dust of the person in front of them and avoid flat tires, that they would slowly move up in position as others acquired flats. Sure enough, the two trophy trucks that had started in front of Jason were eventually pulled over changing flat tires; giving him the chance to take over the lead.

With clean air in sight, Jason was then able to make up some lost time on the overall leader. Jason could see the dust from the leaders out in the distance and was slowly reeling them in. With only 60 miles to go, Jason was getting very excited about the possibility of winning Voss Motorsports' very first race in the new TT. Out of nowhere at approximately mile 270, James East observed smoke billowing out from under the truck. Voss Motorsports pulled over and did everything they could to put out the transmission fire.

Large amounts of dirt and many fire extinguishers were thrown at the steadily burning truck. It took about an hour to finally put out the flames.

The truck is not a total loss. The crew at Voss Motorsports and Jimco are already hard at work getting the truck ready for the Baja 1000. Voss Motorsports would like to personally thank all the people that helped contain the fire.

Voss Motorsports would like to thank their sponsors: General Tire, Teasdale Quality Foods, KC HiLites, TrailReady, AEM Filters, and Stevens Creek Quarry Inc.

See you all at the Baja 1000!

Voss Motorsports
http://vossmotorsports.com
http://vossmotorsports.com/blog

Last edited by a moderator:

herzeleid

Reaction
Thanks god that everyone is okay. And good luck at the Baja 1000!
I'll be there catching some rocks. :D

johnnyweb

Reaction
Great job Jason at putting the truck to the front of the pack. To bad about the rest of the race. I am sure you will be back out in the front of the pack soon enough!

CGP Co-Dawg

Reaction
Glad to see everyone is ok. That sucks about the truck, but at least it's not a total loss. We experience a transmission fire earlier this year and was lucky to catch it early with minimul damage.

TARHEEL

Reaction
Glad everyone was okay...hell of thing hearing about the fire after watching the test footage on days before...

rickf

Reaction
I guess I never thought about transmission fluid being flamable.
Stupid question but how flamable is it? Like Diesel, Gasoline?

buggyfreak

Reaction
Sucks about the fire but im glad everyone is ok i understand its a big loss on the money side but race trucks can be rebuilt a human life cant it breaks my heart to see the pics of the truck but again im glad everyone is ok well i wish you the best in the 1000