VW Baja front beam

DWPATE

Reaction
I have changed a wide kingpin beam to a 6" wider king pin beam. The beam uses 4 spring packs with 4 adjusters. I bought the beam off a running car that way. After having to do some work on the beam and bushings, I have removed the stock arms and have installed bigger arms. After reinstalling the beam, I cannot get the front to "flex" (for the lack of a better description). Can't get the arm stops re installed either. Can anyone here help?? This baja is strictly for my fun and not for racing.

Attachments

• 20210105_124616.jpg
    20210105_124616.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Are you sure you have them indexed right? Adjusters are all the way tight and your arms are pointing almost straight down. 90* off may be about what it needs.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
You may need to remove the arms and check to see if they will rotate freely . rem the bushings if needed. You have over tightened the king pins.

DWPATE

Reaction
IS the floor jack holding the car up? Are the arms free in the bushings? (sometimes they need reamed) Are the link pins too tight?
Bushings were reamed to correct size. Jack is not touching car. Not sure about how the link pins would be too tight...

JWHracing

Reaction
The nut on the link pin is there to help pull the link pin into the arm and pull the spindle towards the arm. It is not meant to keep the spindle tight against the arms. The pinch bolt on the arm is what keeps the link pin in the arm. The nut is there as a backup. You should tighten the link pin nut, and then back it off a 1/4 turn or so. If you tighten it too much, the bushing in the spindle will not be able to rotate freely on the link pin and you will have a binding issue.

JWHracing

Reaction
Yes those nuts. The allen head bolts that run perpendicular to those are what locks the link pin in place. The large nut makes sure the link pin doesn't come out, but isn't designed to hold everything tight.

How many shims do you have on each link pin? And where? (inner vs outer) Wrong number of shims can also cause binding issues.